CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th November 2009, 08:51 PM

Default women use of veil.

What does saint Paul mean in 1Corinthians 11:10. When he says that women should cover their heads with a veil because of the angels?
Old 25th November 2009, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filotea View Post
What does saint Paul mean in 1Corinthians 11:10. When he says that women should cover their heads with a veil because of the angels?
{11:10} Ideo debet mulier potestatem habere supra caput propter Angelos.
{11:10} Therefore, a woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head, because of the Angels.

~ The veil or headcovering is a symbol if the order in creation, which includes Angels as well as men. For even among the Angels, there is order and levels of authority. The Angels are not all the same, they do not all have the same role, and some Angels have authority over other Angels. The holy Angels are offended when women pray without a headcovering, or when women take roles which God intends only for men. For the holy Angels keep to their proper places and are obedient to those Angels in authority over them. But the fallen angels rebelled by disobedience and by refusing to accept Christ as their head, as someone with authority over them; and so they destined themselves for Hell. Women who refuse to wear a veil, or who dress like a man, or who take a manís role, are being disobedient to Christ and are disrespecting their head, repeating in miniature the same fault of disobedience and disrespect that caused some Angels to fall from grace. When the holy Angels see such disorder and disobedience by women towards their head, they remember the fall of the disobedient angels and they cringe.
Old 26th November 2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
{11:10} Ideo debet mulier potestatem habere supra caput propter Angelos.
{11:10} Therefore, a woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head, because of the Angels.

~ The veil or headcovering is a symbol if the order in creation, which includes Angels as well as men. For even among the Angels, there is order and levels of authority. The Angels are not all the same, they do not all have the same role, and some Angels have authority over other Angels. The holy Angels are offended when women pray without a headcovering, or when women take roles which God intends only for men. For the holy Angels keep to their proper places and are obedient to those Angels in authority over them. But the fallen angels rebelled by disobedience and by refusing to accept Christ as their head, as someone with authority over them; and so they destined themselves for Hell. Women who refuse to wear a veil, or who dress like a man, or who take a manís role, are being disobedient to Christ and are disrespecting their head, repeating in miniature the same fault of disobedience and disrespect that caused some Angels to fall from grace. When the holy Angels see such disorder and disobedience by women towards their head, they remember the fall of the disobedient angels and they cringe.

When I visited the holy land I was told that soem jewish women shave their hair in order not to attract fallen angels to them. Now there is an ongoing disucssion if they can wear a wig. Is this true ?
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 26th November 2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
When I visited the holy land I was told that soem jewish women shave their hair in order not to attract fallen angels to them. Now there is an ongoing disucssion if they can wear a wig. Is this true ?
I do not know if any Jewish woman does this.
I have never heard of such a practice by anyone.
This is not a Christian practice, and I doubt that it is a Jewish practice.
Old 26th November 2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I do not know if any Jewish woman does this.
I have never heard of such a practice by anyone.
This is not a Christian practice, and I doubt that it is a Jewish practice.

The person who said this is a franciscan friar. There are different groups actually of jewish people altghough the group that survived is the pharisical branch. Always if I am not wrong.
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 7th December 2009, 08:35 PM

Default Women use of veil

Mr. Conte, do you mean the use of veil always or just in church?
Your last answer impressed me because I met a woman in my old parish that used a veil during mass. One day, I asked her why she used that on her head. To my surprise, she told me that she had a dream in which she saw an angel in the altar. He told her that the angels were offended because of the disrespectful behavior of women in church. He asked her if she wants to adore God in spirit and true, she said yes. Then, he gave her a veil and instructed her to cover her head with it to show God the reverence he deserves. Also, he talked about punishment for disrespecting God in the temple, he mention talking in church as a bad behavior too.

Last edited by Filotea : 7th December 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 7th December 2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filotea View Post
Mr. Conte, do you mean the use of veil always or just in church?
Your last answer impressed me because I met a woman in my old parish that used a veil during mass. One day, I asked her why she used that on her head. To my surprise, she told me that she had a dream in which she saw an angel in the altar. He told her that the angels were offended because of the disrespectful behavior of women in church. He asked her if she wants to adore God in spirit and true, she said yes. Then, he gave her a veil and instructed her to cover her head with it to show God the reverence he deserves. Also, he talked about punishment for disrespecting God in the temple, he mention talking in church as a bad behavior too.

I was referring to the use of a veil at Mass. But a woman could also wear it in prayer groups and during personal prayer. There is no teaching or practice in the Church requiring women to wear a veil at all times. It is merely an outer symbol of an inner state: respect for differences in roles between men and women, a respect for the order that God put in the Church and in the family. A women should have this inner respect at all times, as if always wearing a veil on the heart. And this should show by wearing a veil on her head at time.

However, if she if she is not wearing the veil on her heart (by this inner respect and humility), then it is useless and even a hypocrisy for her to wear the veil on her head.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:46 AM
supporting member

I have been wearing a head covering every day both at Mass and in daily life, though it is usually only a headband when I go to professional engagements. I find it is a helpful reminder about the differing roles for men and women.

It is also helpful in training me to deal with difficult relatives, to hold my tongue and to recognize the authority of male family members, even when they are in error. For instance, one of my brother-in-laws spanks his children and yanks them by the arm with great force which I find abhorrent, yet I hold my tongue due to respect for his role as a father. One of my nephews is autistic, so it is a very difficult situation, but if it were not for the head covering, I might have allowed myself to correct him, and that is not my role.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:59 AM
Jeanne D'Arc

Sacredcello,
That must be awful for you. I am wondering, since Jesus healed the sick on the Sabbath and chastised the Pharisees for sticking to the letter of the law instead of using common sense and love of neighbor in certain situations, maybe for the safety of the children you might speak up? There are ways of mentioning things to someone which are not necessarily over-stepping your bounds or that could be interpreted as being prideful. Being a woman makes one more attuned to the needs of our children and after all, it was at Mary's urging, God's own mother, that the first miracle was performed at Cana. You have a wonderful way with words. Maybe pray about it and see what happens. At any rate, I wish you good luck and God's blessing on this issue.
Joan
Old 8th December 2009, 01:02 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Sac, do you think there is a difference between correcting someone and suggesting or having an open discussion? just a thought