CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th February 2010, 02:33 AM
supporting member

Ron,

I have noticed during confession that priests are annoyed when they see me walk in with my head covered. Perhaps they are more tolerant of elderly women who wear the veil, because that is how things used to be; I don't know.

In any case, in the interest of keeping a good relationship with the priest, would it be better to wear a head band, which is still a covering, just not as "weird"? I have plenty of these which I often wear to Mass. Or, would it be better to go to confession behind the screen, so the priest doesn't know that my head is covered? I have always gone face to face, because when I went through RCIA, they told us that we shouldn't be afraid to talk to the priest directly.
Old 28th February 2010, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
I have noticed during confession that priests are annoyed when they see me walk in with my head covered. Perhaps they are more tolerant of elderly women who wear the veil, because that is how things used to be; I don't know.

In any case, in the interest of keeping a good relationship with the priest, would it be better to wear a head band, which is still a covering, just not as "weird"? I have plenty of these which I often wear to Mass. Or, would it be better to go to confession behind the screen, so the priest doesn't know that my head is covered? I have always gone face to face, because when I went through RCIA, they told us that we shouldn't be afraid to talk to the priest directly.

I think that you should wear your usual headcovering, even though the priest seems annoyed, because you are showing him a good example. We are called to witness to the Gospel by living the Gospel openly, so that others learn from our example.

I'm not sure what you mean by a head band.

Both options for Confession, face to face and behind a screen, are good. The latter allows the penitent to more readily consider that he is confessing to person of Christ, and not to the person of the priest.
Old 28th February 2010, 07:22 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I think that you should wear your usual headcovering, even though the priest seems annoyed, because you are showing him a good example. We are called to witness to the Gospel by living the Gospel openly, so that others learn from our example.

I'm not sure what you mean by a head band.

I have seven different headcoverings in different styles, all sewn by these Protestant girls:

http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/produ...one-of-a-kind/

some are more full-coverage than others, and I change them depending on what I am wearing. The snood is obviously something that is not in mainstream fashion, whereas a headband can allow one to look more "normal", but still fulfill the scriptural precept to cover one's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Both options for Confession, face to face and behind a screen, are good. The latter allows the penitent to more readily consider that he is confessing to person of Christ, and not to the person of the priest.

Thank you, Ron. I had never considered this. I sort of thought the screen was for someone who might be otherwise too embarrassed to confess their sins.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:32 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Default Article From The Atlanta Journal (June 21, 1969)

Article From The Atlanta Journal (June 21, 1969)

Yet another incorrect assumption about Vatican II

I love my sisters in Christ who cover their heads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6010_1114985669974_1086909565_30462251_6190453_n.jpg (25.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 28th February 2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:

some are more full-coverage than others, and I change them depending on what I am wearing. The snood is obviously something that is not in mainstream fashion, whereas a headband can allow one to look more "normal", but still fulfill the scriptural precept to cover one's head.

Oh, I see. Yes, the head band style of headcovering is good. It does fulfill the scriptural precept on headcoverings.
Old 1st March 2010, 01:56 AM
Jeanne D'Arc

I have to say that, right or wrong, since I work at the rectory, I don't do face to face confession at my parish!! I like my pastor but he has the memory of an elephant and I wouldn't be able to face him at work on Monday morning.
Old 1st March 2010, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have seven different headcoverings in different styles, all sewn by these Protestant girls:

Those headcoverings look nice, a girl can actually look pretty and beautiful wearing them.
Old 5th March 2010, 05:04 PM

Thanks sacredcello for the headband webside. I am buying them for my four daughters. I am happy because they like it and they are going to use it in church.