CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Controversies about Catholicism
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2012, 06:57 PM

Default Communion twice - Canon 917

Can. 917 "A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, 2."

does this mean you must attend ALL of the Mass for the second reception

or would it be sufficient to be present during the Consecration

if you arrived 2 or 3 minutes late would you be unable to receive (if you had previously received that same day

I am specifically referring to weekdays rather than Sunday attendance when we should attend a full Mass.
However, the same point could arise on a Sunday if you have already attended one full Mass and received - then you went to a second Sunday Mass and arrived a few moments late, then could you receive again at that Mass.

God bless all
jbbt9
Old 7th December 2012, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbt9 View Post
Can. 917 "A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, 2."

does this mean you must attend ALL of the Mass for the second reception

or would it be sufficient to be present during the Consecration

if you arrived 2 or 3 minutes late would you be unable to receive (if you had previously received that same day

I am specifically referring to weekdays rather than Sunday attendance when we should attend a full Mass.
However, the same point could arise on a Sunday if you have already attended one full Mass and received - then you went to a second Sunday Mass and arrived a few moments late, then could you receive again at that Mass.

God bless all
jbbt9

No, late arrival of a few minutes never disqualifies the person from reception of Communion. The doctrinal and ethical principle here is that a small failure is not a grave sin, and a small failure cannot disqualify someone from continuing on the path of salvation. The Sacraments are important to our path of salvation, and the Baptized faithful have a right to receive Communion.

Can. 912 Any baptized person not prohibited by law can and must be admitted to holy communion.

So the relatively limited fault of arriving late for Mass does not disqualify a person from receiving Communion.

I would say, though, that if a person had already received Communion the same day, AND they arrived very late for the second Mass, they should not receive at the second Mass. It is not a right, nor is it necessary to salvation to receive more than one in a day -- except if the person is near death.
Old 8th December 2012, 02:53 AM

So, Just to make sure I have this right, I can attend a Mass on Saturday morning for the Immaculate Conception and receive communion. Then, also, I can attend a Vigil mass on Saturday in the evening for my Sunday obligation and receive communion as well?
Old 8th December 2012, 04:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonafreak View Post
So, Just to make sure I have this right, I can attend a Mass on Saturday morning for the Immaculate Conception and receive communion. Then, also, I can attend a Vigil mass on Saturday in the evening for my Sunday obligation and receive communion as well?

Yes, that is certainly correct.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:10 PM

Default very late arrival - to receive or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
No, late arrival of a few minutes never disqualifies the person from reception of Communion. The doctrinal and ethical principle here is that a small failure is not a grave sin, and a small failure cannot disqualify someone from continuing on the path of salvation. The Sacraments are important to our path of salvation, and the Baptized faithful have a right to receive Communion.

Can. 912 Any baptized person not prohibited by law can and must be admitted to holy communion.

So the relatively limited fault of arriving late for Mass does not disqualify a person from receiving Communion.

I would say, though, that if a person had already received Communion the same day, AND they arrived very late for the second Mass, they should not receive at the second Mass. It is not a right, nor is it necessary to salvation to receive more than one in a day -- except if the person is near death.

Ron,
Just to tease this subject out a little further.

If one arrived very late for a weekday mass and it was to be your only mass that day, would you still hold the view that one should not receive.

The reason I ask is that a Dominican priest, in Ireland, whom I and others regard as strict and very conservative, told me in confession that even if someone arrived after the consecration they could still receive.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbt9 View Post
Ron,
Just to tease this subject out a little further.

If one arrived very late for a weekday mass and it was to be your only mass that day, would you still hold the view that one should not receive.

The reason I ask is that a Dominican priest, in Ireland, whom I and others regard as strict and very conservative, told me in confession that even if someone arrived after the consecration they could still receive.

I disagree. The weekday Mass attendance is not an obligation, but whenever you receive Communion, it must be with devout preparation and worthiness. So if you arrive very late for daily Mass, I would suggest that you not receive.

As for that particular priest, why do you tell me that he is regarded as strict and conservative? The correct theological answer to any question is not necessarily conservative. And God is no respecter of persons. So it does not matter what his reputation may be.

We must do God's will, above all else. Do not substitute the opinions or reputation of anyone (including myself) for the search to find and do the will of God. We must be willing and able to do the will of God even when it is contrary to the opinions of peers and respected leaders.