CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th October 2008, 10:26 AM

Default Catholic and Protestant

I have some questions to ask. Anyone feel free to answer.

1. What is the differences between catholic and protestant? And what is the main differences?

2. What do they, protestant believer generally, think about us catholic? idolatry worshiper?

3. Who teach to make a cross sign before we pray? I've never read/heard any verse in the bible or when Jesus pray, Does He make a cross sign before pray? And are we should always do cross sign before pray?

4. What about if catholic believer pray without a cross sign just like protestant people? Does it permitted or not?

5. I have seen some famous protestant priest, doing miracles like healing the cripples just by touching them, make someone unconscious just by touching their forehead, etc. And I have one attended their mass(urge by curiosity), and sometime they're saying words that I don't understand(they seems like in trance condition, they said it's Holy Spirit language?) What are this thing? Does it true or not? (sometime I feel scary in their mass, they all became trance and sometimes screams?)

6. Why some protestant parish, usually said that God has just say something to them, do they truly heard God voices?

7. Does us, catholic, can attend their mass?, but not intentionally, example: our family relative that is protestant having his home endowment, and we are invited, can we attend this protestant mass?

8. Why the protestant people sometimes can go so extreme?, like, one of my friend, they have what they called cell, 1 man have 1 cell(this cell is like a list of people to be converted), and in this cell they have a number of target people that should be converted to protestant.

9. Fact: Most protestant parish do their homily/speech in fire, they are very enthusiast, most of our pastor do their homily in a normal tone, sometimes flat tone?

10. Last question, related to number 9. Does any of you sometimes feel sleepy when attending mass, especially in homily part? (Honestly sometimes I do, but rarely.)

Thanks. Sorry if I ask to much.

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 27th October 2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 27th October 2008, 06:16 PM

Protestantism originated in the 16th century Reformation, and there are numerous branches of Protestantism such as Presbyterians, Anglicans, Episcopalians and so on. There tend to be minor differences in liturgy between each one. Like Catholics, Protestants adhere to the authority of the Bible, but they are distinguished by their emphasis on the doctrine of justification by faith alone. Protestants believe that the Bible is the sole source of faith ("sola scriptura"). They are not guided by the Magisterium like the Catholic Church and are not in full communion with the Pope. Protestants celebrate only two of the seven Sacraments: Baptism and Communion.

I don't know what Protestants may think of us Catholics, but there are some areas of potential friction. For instance, Protestants do not accept the role of the Virgin Mary as the Catholic Church does. To them, Mary is only a seemingly minor figure. Protestants do not pray the Rosary. This stems from the Protestant doctrine "Soli Dei Gloria", which they give glory to God alone. As such, saints and other holy persons are given considerably less merit than the Catholic Church awards them.

Generally, the biggest difference between Protestantism and Catholicism is that Protestants believe in Consubstantiation, where they believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist merely represents the Body and Blood of Jesus, unlike the Catholic Transubstantiation, which teaches the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

I don't know about the origin of the Sign of the Cross. It reminds us of Christ's greatest sacrifice for humanity every time we make it, only because of Christ's death on the Cross and his Resurrection are we able to reach Heaven.

Quote:
5. I have seen some famous protestant priest, doing miracles like healing the cripples just by touching them, make someone unconscious just by touching their forehead, etc. And I have one attended their mass(urge by curiosity), and sometime they're saying words that I don't understand(they seems like in trance condition, they said it's Holy Spirit language?) What are this thing? Does it true or not? (sometime I feel scary in their mass, they all became trance and sometimes screams?)

I would avoid going to that 'mass' again if I were you. There could be fallen angels involved in the events you describe. Hearing voices is also not a good sign. The Holy Spirit works not through voices, but through Providence and our lives and our actions.

I don't think we are bound by any means to refrain from entering Protestant churches or other churches. I remember the Pope praying in a Mosque on a visit a year or two ago. However, if you willingly wish to participate in the Protestant Mass and reject the Catholic Mass, then that would indeed be sinful. Keep it Catholic!

Quote:
8. Why the protestant people sometimes can go so extreme?, like, one of my friend, they have what they called cell, 1 man have 1 cell(this cell is like a list of people to be converted), and in this cell they have a number of target people that should be converted to protestant

That sounds like something the Mafia would orchestrate! It reminds me of the Jehovah's Witnesses, who endlessly pursue people in order to gain new converts.

Quote:
9. Fact: Most protestant parish do their homily/speech in fire, they are very enthusiast, most of our pastor do their homily in a normal tone, sometimes flat tone?

10. Last question, related to number 9. Does any of you sometimes feel sleepy when attending mass, especially in homily part? (Honestly sometimes I do, but rarely.)

I have never listened to a Protestant homily, so I cannot comment much. I suppose it depends on who is preaching it. That can be seen in the Catholic homily; homilies differ with different priests. And no, I've never fallen asleep during a sermon! Not yet, anyway.

I hope I have helped.

Shane
Old 28th October 2008, 05:37 AM
Bomber

I think Shane hit the high points on the differences, but I will add my own observation.

Protestants use the bible alone as the definitive teaching from God. But they do not believe in a hierarchal (or organized) church to interpret what the bible means. They believe that the Word of God is simple and that anyone that can read can figure out what the bible means.

The problem of the effect of this is that everyone gets to hold on to their own meanings, whether or not they are correct or have ever been held by the Church over the past 2,000 years. And nobody can correct them because they all believe they are being individually guided by the Holy Spirit.

That is why there are over 35,000 different Christian denominations world wide. Some believe in faith healing, some believe in other things, but there is no central authority, guided by the Holy Spirit (as Christ promised) to keep them on track.

I would not recommend going to these services (they are not called "mass"), as even a devout person can slowly be influenced if they are subjected to heresies long and often enough.
Old 28th October 2008, 05:40 AM
Bomber

I think Shane hit the high points on the differences, but I will add my own observation.

Protestants use the bible alone as the definitive teaching from God. But they do not believe in a hierarchal (or organized) church to interpret what the bible means. They believe that the Word of God is simple and that anyone that can read can figure out what the bible means.

The problem of the effect of this is that everyone gets to hold on to their own meanings, whether or not they are correct or have ever been held by the Church over the past 2,000 years. And nobody can correct them because they all believe they are being individually guided by the Holy Spirit.

That is why there are over 35,000 different Christian denominations world wide. Some believe in faith healing, some believe in other things, but there is no central authority, guided by the Holy Spirit (as Christ promised) to keep them on track.

I would not recommend going to these services (they are not called "mass"), as even a devout person can slowly be influenced if they are subjected to heresies long and often enough.

I also think that a lot of it stems from the sin of pride, the first of the seven deadly sins. They (as individuals and as a group) many times think it is beneath them to be subservient to a higher church (the Catholic Church and the Pope). I think they feel like, "Who are THEY to tell me I am wrong, or to believe this way!" But ultimately we are all required to assent to the will of God, even when his will is expressed through the Church he created.
Old 28th October 2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks Shane and Bomber.

Yeah, I don't attend and do not want to attend to that 'mass' again, I have attended just one urged by curiosity, and I am still Catholic, and by God's Love, Providence and Grace I will be Catholic for the rest of my life.

For the Sign of The Cross, so it is not must to do before we pray? May be I can go to the point of my problem. This is about pray before we eat. I always pray before I eat, but sometimes when I and some my friends go to eat in local restaurant or public place, I feel a little embarrassed that I shouldn't feel this feeling because like you said it's a sign for the Love of our God Jesus Christ, and sometimes I fear that other people may think that I am ostentatious of my faith. What should I do?

Note:
I lived in Indonesia that most people are muslim(Islam).
I and my friend are young people, and you know most young people think about faith...

Oh yea, and Shane, what cause the separation between RCC and protestant in 16th century? I have heard someone like Martin Luther, who is he? I heard that he is a Catholic pastor before, does he is the cause of this separation?

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 28th October 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 28th October 2008, 03:30 PM
Bomber

The sign of the cross is not mentioned in the bible, but has been in use since at least the third century, as historical documents and letters show. It's use was encouraged by the bishops for over 1,000 years as a way to show that one is faithful to God and to bless oneself.

The came Martin Luther. There is plenty written on him. He was a Catholic priest in Germany in the early 1500's and became disillusioned with the Church leadership for what he perceived as abuses of authority. He wrote a list called "95 theses" and publicly gave it to the Church, beginning the biggest apostasy of modern times.

He came to the conclusion (on his own and based on his emotions, I believe), that there should be no central authority for matters of faith. He began the notion of sola scriptura, the belief that the bible alone could provide all answers for the individual.

Protestants generally revere him as the one that "poked the finger in the eye" of the corrupt "Roman Church", and led the faithful down the path of enlightenment.

However, reading Luther's notes, it is ironic because it is clear that he did not anticipate this much division. And many of the Catholic beliefs that have been around since Christ, and are now rejected by the Protestants (the Real Presence, etc.,) were explicitly believed by Luther.

As a matter of fact, Luther used the sign of the cross, and encouraged all to perform it when they awoke and when they went to bed.

I believe that Martin Luther began as a pious man that was conflicted by his own emotions and his struggle with his own sins. He wanted to do good and not sin, but when he did, he felt so bad, and could not reconcile how he could keep being forgiven. He created the mantra "once saved, always saved" which the modern protestants sling to. I think that is a very dangerous theory, as it blinds the individual to their own future sins.
Old 28th October 2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
He created the mantra "once saved, always saved" which the modern protestants sling to

Yeah, I have encountered a number of protestant people that they are so sure, I think blindly sure, that they shall go to heaven when they die no matter what.

Well said, Bomber, Thanks.
Old 28th October 2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post

For the Sign of The Cross, so it is not must to do before we pray? May be I can go to the point of my problem. This is about pray before we eat. I always pray before I eat, but sometimes when I and some my friends go to eat in local restaurant or public place, I feel a little embarrassed that I shouldn't feel this feeling because like you said it's a sign for the Love of our God Jesus Christ, and sometimes I fear that other people may think that I am ostentatious of my faith. What should I do?

Note:
I lived in Indonesia that most people are muslim(Islam).
I and my friend are young people, and you know most young people think about faith...

I also pray a Grace before meals, and I agree that it can sometimes feel strange blessing yourself or praying in a public place. . I suggest that if you find it difficult to do at first (if you're self-conscious, or if you cannot because it may not be tolerated by Muslims) you could just pray internally. All prayer is pleasing to God.

As for being around friends, I am also young and friends of mine probably think a few of my screws need tightening! It can be a source of embarrassment (and even conflict) at times, but I stand my ground, sometimes turning the attack to their weak faith. I've come to learn the hard way that when others around you have a weak faith they will simply not understand your faith and they try to conclude that you are bonkers or something. I recommend you hang in there and keep doing the best you can. Our Lord clearly taught that His faithful would have to endure persecution, of which this is a form.
Old 29th October 2008, 09:09 AM

OK, so the conclusion is we can sometimes do not use sign of the cross before we pray. Thanks for all.
Old 29th October 2008, 05:46 PM
CRW

Default Sign of the Cross

It is an honor to make the Sign of the Cross in public; what a way to introduce our faith and love of our Lord to strangers.