CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Lay Apostolate
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 23rd February 2010, 11:38 PM

Question Do animals adore God?

Greeting,

We all know that animals, and unlike humans, do not have immortal soul, therefore their soul dies when their material body dies.

However, since God created animals as well, do they adore him? love him?

If positive, do they adore and love him through their mortal soul or through a natural part of their instinct?

Thank you.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:49 PM
Administrator

God gave us free will and reason, despite the possibility of sin, because only by free will and reason can we love and adore Him. The lower animals are not capable of loving and adoring God, because they lack free will and reason. They do not know and love God. They are merely natural, whereas we can use our nature to cooperate with supernatural grace, by our free will, in order to choose acts of virtue and love.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
God gave us free will and reason, despite the possibility of sin, because only by free will and reason can we love and adore Him. The lower animals are not capable of loving and adoring God, because they lack free will and reason. They do not know and love God. They are merely natural, whereas we can use our nature to cooperate with supernatural grace, by our free will, in order to choose acts of virtue and love.

Thank you Ron for your prompt and informative reply
Old 1st March 2010, 07:10 PM

Smile Animals Are Not Robots

Yes, Man is created in the image & likeness of God, which separates humans from say a dog & we must not put animals above people. However, animals are not "Robots" to be done with as we will as being cruel for instance ... God’s plan for Man & Animals is much more than that ... Just read Genesis. In fact, man did not eat animals until after the Great Flood, and then God permitted it. Finally I am sure God would let you be reunited with your pets either in Heaven or on the new earth.

P.S. Animals do have a free will ... not the same type as man ... Like my cats Max, Ava do what they want ... People who have ever had pets know what I mean … as for understanding God ... My take is that they have an knowledge of God ... They have a soul ... No free will involved.

Last edited by JonDavid : 1st March 2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:00 PM

Default My thoughts on this

It is my belief that animals are gifts given to us by God, as are so many other things on earth, to be used and enjoyed in a way consistent with His Will and which brings Him honor.

While animals are not higher or even equal to us given our rational free higher mental abilities, they are neither objects to be misused, abused or maltreated for our pleasure and whim.

Not sure about reuniting with animals upon death. Do not really think such a thing would be important to a person in Heaven.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator

There are no pets in Heaven, since only persons who die in a state of grace enter there, by means of Christ.

My opinion is that there will be animals and pets in the new earth, for it would not be earth without plants and animals. I don't know if the pets will be somehow the same as a pet that one person or another had on earth; perhaps they will be very similar, but not truly the same. Pets do not receive a resurrection.
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:07 AM

And then, when pets or animals die? Where will their soul go?

Hmm I wonder, man eats beef everyday for many purposes, cook, pizza, etc, and we get beef by kill cows, and cows needs some years to be adult. So where is this daily beef supply come from? Logically beef supply won't enough to satisfy our need of beef on daily basis, this is the same with chicken also, chicken also need time to grow up, and how much chicken killed everyday to supply our daily need of chicken, where they're come from, we should lack chicken or beef if we need to wait them to grow up, but the fact is we don't lack chicken or beef everyday, whereas they need time to grow up, and then killed, how? I just wonder...

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 2nd March 2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:40 AM

As Ron said earlier, animals have mortal and not immortal souls...That's why they do not enter heaven and therefore their souls die and vanish along with their material bodies...
Old 2nd March 2010, 03:02 PM

Default Misguided attention

While animals are gifts from God like the rest of creation, this need to elevate them higher than they are reminds me of those who place animals and plants at the same level as humans while not spending one moment of thought over the unborn children who are aborted daily.
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:26 PM

Ron, you ranked animals and plants in the same level, do plants have souls as well?
Closed Thread