CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2010, 07:39 AM

Default Tithes

from adventist:

1. Is tithing part of the covenant which many here are saying to be gone but actually being re-written in the hearts of men?

2. Is tithing part of the commandments of God?

3. Is it immoral not to tithe?

4. When do NT "rules" begin and when do OT rules end?

5. How do you distinguish between God's OT commandments and God's NT principles?

Will really appreciate Biblical references.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator

1. Is tithing part of the covenant which many here are saying to be gone but actually being re-written in the hearts of men?

The eternal moral law, which is also written upon our hearts as the natural law (an expression of the eternal moral law), requires not only true spiritual love of neighbor, but bodily assistence to those neighbors in need (almsgiving), and not only true worship of God in the Church, but our support for the Church even in temporal matters.

But the OT requirement of tithing as 10% of income was dispensed by Christ. The Council of Florence infallibly taught that Christ dispensed all OT disciplines.

[2 Corinthians]
{9:6} But I say this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly. And whoever sows with blessings shall also reap from blessings:
{9:7} each one giving, just as he has determined in his heart, neither out of sadness, nor out of obligation. For God loves a cheerful giver.

2. Is tithing part of the commandments of God?

It is an OT discipline. However, the NT discipline, more fully expressing the moral law, is to give with generosity.

[Galatians]
{2:10} asking only that we should be mindful of the poor, which was the very thing that I also was solicitous to do.

[Mark]
{12:42} But when one poor widow had arrived, she put in two small coins, which is a quarter.
{12:43} And calling together his disciples, he said to them: “Amen I say to you, that this poor widow has put in more than all those who contributed to the offertory.
{12:44} For they all gave from their abundance, yet truly, she gave from her scarcity, even all that she had, her entire living.”

[Matthew]
{6:38} Give, and it will be given to you: a good measure, pressed down and shaken together and overflowing, they will place upon your lap. Certainly, the same measure that you use to measure out, will be used to measure back to you again.”

3. Is it immoral not to tithe?

[1 Corinthians]
{13:3} And if I distribute all my goods in order to feed the poor, and if I hand over my body to be burned, yet not have charity, it offers me nothing.

4. When do NT "rules" begin and when do OT rules end?

All the OT rules were abolished by Christ. The Council of Florence taught this doctrine.

5. How do you distinguish between God's OT commandments and God's NT principles?

The OT disciplines pertain to mere exterior action. The OT and NT teachings on morality pertain to avoiding sin and acting with virtue.
Old 7th December 2010, 07:41 PM

Hi Ron,

Interesting. I just want to confirm that when you talk about God's OT commandments/rules, you are not including the 10 commandments, correct?
Old 7th December 2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA View Post
Hi Ron,

Interesting. I just want to confirm that when you talk about God's OT commandments/rules, you are not including the 10 commandments, correct?

The OT contains:

1. doctrines

The doctrines are teachings on matters of faith and morals, including the ten commandments, and these do not change and are still in force.

2. disciplines

The disciplines are exterior rules that have been dispensed by Christ, such as the dietary rules, and circumcision, and animal sacrifices.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:35 PM

Psa 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Did Paul and the council of Florence changes the word of God?

Does the above psalm verse still applicable?