CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd April 2008, 02:16 AM
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I recommend that everyone who feels ready to do so
go to Confession this week-end as well as to Mass on Sunday
so as to participate in Divine Mercy Sunday and receive
forgiveness for sin and temporal punishment.

Does the plenary indulgence associated with Divine Mercy Sunday include the "usual" requirement of not having "any attachment to sin, including venial" ?

I've heard varying opinions about how difficult it is to actually meet this requirement, and it's left me assuming that I'll basically never meet it and will therefore only get a partial indulgence. Given that I can get a partial indulgence for saying the Anima Christi, I'm not really seeing the amazing benefit of Divine Mercy Sunday.

(I did do all the Divine Mercy Sunday items this year, however)
(And I got confirmed into the Church on the Easter Vigil)
(yay)

-ken
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Certain requirements of a plenary indulgence are dispensible; the Church can dispense from the requirement that one pray for the intentions of the Pope and be free from attachment to even venial sin. Thus, Divine Mercy Sunday (confession and communion) offers forgiveness from temporal punishment even without the usual conditions being met.

However, other requirements are not dispensible; the Church cannot dispense from the requirement that one be repentant from all actual mortal sins. But if you are repentant from all actual mortal sins, and if you receive forgiveness in the Sacrament of confession, then Divine Mercy Sunday forgives all temporal punishment.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:11 PM

Default Divine Mercy Prayer

Ron,

There are two versions of the Decade part of the Divine Mercy prayer. Which is more correct? Is either incorrect?

The more popular version, seen and heard on EWTN, is "For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and [on] the whole world."

Another version is, "Through the sorrowful passion of Jesus, have mercy on us and [on] the whole world."

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th April 2008, 12:51 AM
Administrator

both are theologically correct.
Old 28th April 2008, 02:25 AM

Default some priests don't believe in this devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet basil View Post
I was able to make the Divine Mercy Devotion in my church this year. I was overjoyed with it all. I believe this is the first time my church has done a full devotion and it was well attended.

This year, I was able to talk the pastor of our parish into letting us have the DMS devotion at the mass I attend. He agreed provided the priest who celebrates that mass (who is not from our parish) was willing to go along with it. At the end of our mass, the pastor didn't even want the image left out. He told me to take it away. I pray that he, and all priest who think the way he does, find it in their heart to embrace DMS and other beautiful Catholic devotions that are being neglected.

Peace.