CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th November 2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default Examination of conscience: 1

It is useful, once in a great while, to consider all the sins of one's life, even the sins that were long ago forgiven by God. In this way, we humble ourselves before God, acknowledging that we have been sinners from our earliest days until the present time.

Now prenatals and the youngest children cannot commit personal sins, because they do not know wrong from right. But as they begin to understand wrong from right, they gradually take upon themselves some limited responsibility for their choices, and some limited culpability when they choose what they know is wrong.

Consider the sins of your earliest years (pre-adolescent). Perhaps this may include:

sins of commission:
lying, selfishness, unkindness to siblings or other children, disrespect for parents

sins of omission:
not praying, not being thankful, not caring about others

Now consider how these sins in your earliest years may have continued into your later years.

[Note: in this series of posts, please do not post specific sins that you have committed; confession of sins is for the confessional.]
Old 29th November 2008, 01:51 PM

It is amazing to watch a child grow into preadolescence carrying with him/her the predisposition to various sins. And I will reiterate this until the day that I die.....IT ALL COMES FROM HOME. In my teaching profession, I have witnessed loving, innocent children turn into selfish, grabby preteens. You can detect mouthiness and sarcasm in a preschooler and know that it was learned from the environment in which they have been raised, be it the daycare, the parents, the TV, or whatever. Very small children are so impressionable......their formative years should be the vocation of their parents. I am forever grateful to my parents who insisted on respect, prayer, and other virtues which helped to form my conscience. Whenever I fall off of the wagon, it is accompanied by remorse and a firm purpose of amendment. So many kids/adults just don't see the error in their ways. Revisiting past sins are a checkpoint for me, even those from my childhood. Opening old wounds such as these will probaby assist us in some way when we feel the shock of the Warning.

Joey
Old 29th November 2008, 06:58 PM

Default This hits home....

In His infinite Mercy, God forgives our sins when we exhibit true sorrow and a desire to return.

In our responsible, humble and correct response to that Mercy, we should not likewise forget those sins ever, preferring to keep them before our eyes so that we may always remember how loving, merciful and infinately good our God is, that He should open His arms welcoming us despite our sinfulness.

That is the devil's waltz....three step to hell.....it's not a sin, do it, and forget you ever did it....

on the other hand, God's three-step way is...if it's a sin...avoid it at all costs....if you do it...waste no time asking for forgiveness and feeling contrition for hurting such a loving God...but never ever trivialize or forget how you hurt that loving God with your sins. As a sinner, that is what makes me feel the most shame, pain and desire to go back although I do not deserve more chances
Old 1st December 2008, 03:54 PM

"In this way, we humble ourselves before God, acknowledging that we have been sinners from our earliest days until the present time."
- this quote hit home for me as well. Lately, I have thought about, remember and considered sins of my long ago past (adolescence and early twenties). When they pop into my mind, I feel a renewed sense of embarressment at my deeds - this indeed humbles me before God and also helps me become more charitable of others and less judgemental of them. It helps me separate the sinner from the sin.
I really do not like it when these thoughts pop into my mind. When I try to dismiss them I realize that I may have to face them again at the Warning and it fills me with dread (I something think about the Medjorge seers words about how they fear the Warning as well). Reflecting on my past sins may help me deal with the Warning as I may be better prepared at facing my sins; but, this also makes me worry about difficult the Warning will be for me to handle; what of those who are caught by surprise and are completely unprepared.
Old 1st December 2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

The more we acknowledge our sins and repent from our sins, the less we will have to face at the Warning. The Warning will be much more difficult for persons who have sins from which they are unrepentant, or which they do not even acknowledge are sins. I believe that the Warning will not reveal to us sins that we already have acknowledged, repented from, and received forgiveness for. There would be no reason for God to supernaturally show us sins that we already have admitted are sins and from which we are already fully repentant.