CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2014, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default The disobedience of Adam

It's interesting the importance that God gives to the disobedience of Adam over the disobedience of Eve. They both sinned, but the sin of Adam had the great impact on us all (Romans 5:12) (1 Cor 15:22).

In St. Catherine of Siena's Dialogue, God talks only about the disobedience of Adam regarding the Fall:

"Wherefore I gave My Word, My only-begotten Son, because the whole stuff of
human generation was corrupted through the sin of the first man Adam."

"Thus human nature was sufficient to satisfy for guilt, but only by virtue of the divine nature. And in this way was destroyed the stain of Adam's sin,..." pg. 31

"...that is, before the stain of Adam's sin had been taken away." pg. 32

"How the road to Heaven being broken through the disobedience of Adam, God
made of His Son a Bridge by which man could pass." pg.33

But Eve also sinned, then why is it so? Why God doesn't give more emphasis on the disobedience of Eve? or at least treats equally both disobediences?

I believe because Adam was created first and he is the head, Eve doesn't. Eve came from Adam's clay.

Eve sinned first, then Adam, yet God called Adam when they were both hiding (Gen 3:9).

Therefore, they key of our Fall came because of Adam's sin.

The following are two hypotheticals:

What about if Eve sinned, but not Adam?

Now, I'm no one to realize what God would have done, but it is reasonably to think that since Eve would have become a fallen creature, she would have been spelled out to fallen earth alone and be there until her death. She could still have been saved by her personal repentance (she is the only person there, so she doesn't need redemption for someone else) and go to Heaven (Beatific Vision) after her death.

Since Adam would have remained alone in Paradise again, God would have simply made another woman the same way He created Eve and this time it would have been harder for the new woman to Fall for the same temptation as Eve did since Adam would have become stronger in wisdom and knowledge by the past event.

What about if Adam sinned, not Eve?

I believe this scenario would have been harder to occur since the devil, as crafty as he is, tempted the woman first because she is the weaker vessel (1 Peter 3:7) thus, making her easier to fall.

If the devil would have approached Adam first instead of Eve, I don't think Adam would have fallen.

But let's say he would have fallen, then the scenario would be practically the same as we are now here in this valley of tears.

Eve would have remained in Paradise and join God in Heaven. As for Adam, he would have been spelled to this fallen earth from Paradise. Because Adam was God's first created person made in His Image, it is possible that God would have created another companion for Adam from his rib, but because he is now a fallen creature, the new woman would have come up fallen as well, and from there on, all of their descendants. If God would have decided not to create another woman for Adam, then the story of fallen humanity would have terminated there. God would have pardoned Adam if he repented and then he would have come back to Paradise, and then to Heaven.

Would have he then reunited with Eve?, perhaps yes, and have unfallen children?, perhaps yes.

Would God have to become Man in order to save mankind? I don't think in case of those hypothetical scenarios where only one person is fallen.

But the story as we know as a fact and Truth, is that Adam and Eve sinned, and the key reason we are all now fallen creatures is because of Adam's sin.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26

Last edited by Brother : 30th January 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 30th January 2014, 05:44 PM

Interesting point Brother, thanks for sharing.
Old 31st January 2014, 08:21 PM

I don't remember the details of it, but I remember a local priest making remarks to the effect that Adam had the greater sin because he was the head of the family.
Old 31st January 2014, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
I don't remember the details of it, but I remember a local priest making remarks to the effect that Adam had the greater sin because he was the head of the family.

Yes, that's correct. Adam was the head of his wife, Eve, and in a sense also the "father of the world" in that he was the originator of the human race. Even Eve was created from Adam. So he had the greater authority and the greater sin.
Old 30th March 2017, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default More on why the sin of Adam over Eve's sin ?

Even though Eve sinned first, it was Adam's sin that affected the human race (Rom 5:12) (1 Cor 15:22).

We might have more of the answer in Genesis 2:16-17:

{2:16} And he instructed him, saying: “From every tree of Paradise, you shall eat.
{2:17} But from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat. For in whatever day you will eat from it, you will die a death.”

It was Adam to whom God instructed not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

And then Adam must have told Eve what God told him.

Adam is the head of the human race (family).

Notice also that, in the narrative, after Eve sinned, nothing happened. It was when Adam sinned that "their eyes were opened and realized that they were both naked" (Gen 3:6-7). And then, of course, they were both expelled from Paradise.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 30th March 2017, 05:31 PM
Administrator

When Eve sinned, she lost the state of grace. But since Adam was the head of the human race, his sin was ultimately what caused the human race as a whole to be fallen.
Old 8th April 2017, 05:05 PM

Interesting points. Thanks for the clarification.