CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Apologetics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st November 2017, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Now, if for some reason, you are still not convinced that Peter had the leadership role in Jesus’ Church, let’s see what happened at the Council of Jerusalem:

Scripture tells us that Jesus is King and that He will be given the throne of David, His father:

“He [Jesus] will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David” (Luke 1:32).

Now, how do we truly know that Peter has taken the role to represent Jesus after His ascension? We discover it even more at the Council of Jerusalem. The actions taken by Peter at this Council parallels the actions taken by King David at an assemble of his time. Both taking place at Jerusalem.

“The apostles and elders met to consider this question.” (Acts 15:6).
“David summoned all the officials of Israel to assemble at Jerusalem: ….” (1 Chronicles 28:1).

“After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them….”” (Acts 15:7).
“King David rose to his feet and said: " (1 Chronicles 28:2).

“…"Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.” (Acts 15:7)

Yet the LORD, the God of Israel, chose me from my whole family to be king over Israel forever….” (1 Chronicles 28:4)

Notice the parallels are remarkable.

And after Peter settled the question, all kept quiet (Acts 15:12). So after much discussion (Acts 15:7), Peter stands up to talk, settles the matter, and after his pronouncement, people continue to be quiet during the rest of the council (Acts 15:12).

Furthermore, king Solomon, David’s son and successor, is also chosen by God (1 Chronicles 29:1). The protocol done by King David at the above mentioned assembly was not done by chance or accident, notice that another successor of his, king Jehoshaphat, also performs similarly during an assembly called by himself. In 2 Chronicles 20 we read:

The people of Judah came together to seek help from the LORD; indeed, they came from every town in Judah to seek him. Then [King] Jehoshaphat stood up in the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem at the temple of the LORD in the front of the new courtyard and said: "LORD, the God of our ancestors, …” (2 Chronicles 20:4-6).

The person who stands up in order to make a proclamation at the assemblies called by the king is precisely the king himself, for he is the one who is in leadership. The king speaks for the people or makes a proclamation.

Again, King Jehoshaphat acts the same way his ancestor David did during an assembly, and this parallels what Peter also did at the council of Jerusalem by standing up and proclaim (Acts 15:7). Peter is not the King, but he represents Jesus who is the King of Davidic line (Luke 1:32) during this time that our Lord has gone up to the Father, and as we see, this role involves successors. Peter’s authority at the council of Jerusalem is demonstrated by the same actions done by previous kings chosen by God.

The Church is Jesus’ body (1 Corinthians 12:27) and He is the Head (Colossians 1:18 ), so it is fitting that while He is absent in human form like us, He appoints one man who represents Him to continue with the administration of His Church here on earth. The Church is the Mystical Body of Christ who is a man with one head, not an animal or a monster with many heads. Therefore, there can only be one man who represents Him in this specific role and that person is he whom we call the Pope, the successor of Peter.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 8th December 2017, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Now, it is Christ Who guides His Church, the Popes and Bishops in communion with the Pope are not arbitrary in their teachings. The Catechism teaches:

“Yet this Magisterium is not superior to the Word of God, but is its servant. It teaches only what has been handed on to it. At the divine command and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it listens to this devotedly, guards it with dedication and expounds it faithfully. All that it proposes for belief as being divinely revealed is drawn from this single deposit of faith.” [48] – CCC # 86.

The Deposit if Faith is all what is found implicitly or explicitly in Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. So we cannot hold that the Catholic Church teaches “whatever She feels like teaching” which is false. Since the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and received the authority from Christ Himself to go out and preach (John 20:22-23) (Luke 10:16) (1 Tim 3:15), She has received the charism to correctly interpret, clarify or confirm what is already in Tradition and/or Sacred Scripture in an implicit or explicit manner.

The Catechism goes on to say:

“Mindful of Christ's words to his apostles: “He who hears you, hears me”, [49] (Luke 10:16) The faithful receive with docility the teachings and directives that their pastors give them in different forms.

The dogmas of the faith

The Church's Magisterium exercises the authority it holds from Christ to the fullest extent when it defines dogmas, that is, when it proposes truths contained in divine Revelation or also when it proposes in a definitive way truths having a necessary connection with them.” – CCC #’s 87 & 88.

There are things, however, that the Church does not have authority to teach, like for example, the ordaining of women as priests. Pope St. John Paul II wrote in his Apostolic Letter Ordenatio Sacerdotalis the following:

“Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.”

The Catechism also teaches:

“…No one can give himself the mandate and the mission to proclaim the Gospel. the one sent by the Lord does not speak and act on his own authority, but by virtue of Christ's authority; not as a member of the community, but speaking to it in the name of Christ. No one can bestow grace on himself; it must be given and offered. This fact presupposes ministers of grace, authorized and empowered by Christ…

…the ministry in which Christ's emissaries do and give by God's grace what they cannot do and give by their own powers, is called a “sacrament” by the Church's tradition. Indeed, the ministry of the Church is conferred by a special sacrament.” # 875.

So it’s false the claim which states that Catholics believe something simply because “the Church says so” in the sense that the Church can come up with something out of Her own arbitrarily and teach it as dogma of faith.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Sacred Scripture itself teaches that all is not written it its books and that there are some Truths that the Spirit will continue teaching us through His Church:

“Now there are also many other things that Jesus did, which, if each of these were written down, the world itself, I suppose, would not be able to contain the books that would be written.” (John 21:25).

Therefore, there are things that Jesus did which are not written in the Bible but they are contained in Sacred Tradition.

“I still have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now. But when the Spirit of truth has arrived, he will teach the whole truth to you. For he will not be speaking from himself. Instead, whatever he will hear, he will speak. And he will announce to you the things that are to come.” (John 16:12-13). There are things that Jesus did not say to the Apostles while He was here on earth, but He promised that the Holy Spirit will continue to guide them and, of course, their successors for He promised that He will be with them until the end of age (Matt 28:20), that is until He comes back in glory to judge the living and the dead (Matt 13:39-40) (13:49) (Matt 24).

“I have much more to write to you, but I am not willing to do so through paper and ink. For I hope that I may be with you in the future, and that I may speak face to face, so that your joy may be full.” (2 John 1:12)

“I had many things to write to you, but I am not willing, through ink and pen, to write to you.” (3 John 1:13).

Jesus entrusted His authority to the Apostles: “So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” (John 20:21).

“So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.” (2 Thes 2:15)

“if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” (1 Timothy 3:15).

Thus, the Bible itself teaches in its own writings, that it is not the sole source if instruction, guiding and teaching.

The fact that God has selected some men for the particular task of speaking for Him, or to represent Him is evident through the history of salvation. We see it in the case of Moses when our Lord tells him:

“Speak to him [Aaron], and put my words in his mouth. And I will be in your mouth and in his mouth, and I will reveal to you what you must do. He will speak for you to the people, and he will be your mouth. But you will be with him in those things that pertain to God.” – (Exodus 4:15-16)

“And the Lord said to Moses: “Behold, I have appointed you as the god of Pharaoh. And Aaron, your brother, will be your prophet.” (Exodus 7:1)

Words like “I will be in your mouth and in his mouth” or “I have appointed you as the god of Pharaoh” refers to the authority that Moses has received from God Himself in order to speak infallibly at those particular instances (for Moses is not infallible himself) for God. God appointed Moses to be his vicar, to speak in God’s place.

Then thousands of years later when Jesus came to this world, He respected the authority of those who taught from the “chair of Moses”, even though those who were in the “chair”, that is, in his position, were sinners and showed bad examples.

“Then Jesus spoke to the crowds, and to his disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have sat down in the chair of Moses. Therefore, all things whatsoever that they shall say to you, observe and do. Yet truly, do not choose to act according to their works. For they say, but they do not do. For they bind up heavy and unbearable burdens, and they impose them on men’s shoulders. But they are not willing to move them with even a finger of their own.” (Matt 23:1-4).

Jesus taught us to obey those who are in the authoritative chair of Moses, even though they showed bad example to the people. He said not to follow their own particular example because they did not follow what they themselves taught with sincerity of heart. In other words, they only wanted to be seen and acclaimed by men. Even so, Jesus taught to obey them because of the position they were at, the “chair of Moses”.