CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > the Church
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2015, 10:34 PM

Default Article on women deacons

Interesting article on women deacons. It seems this is one of the subjects that has come up at the synod.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...women-deacons/
Old 6th October 2015, 11:37 PM
Administrator

An Archbishop from Canada is suggesting that the Synod approve of ordaining women deacons. I think this will happen soon.
Old 7th October 2015, 04:24 PM

It'll definitely be interesting to see what comes of the Synod, but I'm personally doubtful that they'll be ordaining women deacons anytime soon. People think Pope Francis is all about revolutionary change but he's really not. He hasn't changed much but what he does do is bring new light to current teachings.

I think he's more about slow progress within the church. Putting women in roles of leadership, but not necessarily requiring ordination. From what I've read, I think the Church's cautious approach on Medjugorje is an indication of this. They won't restrict pilgrimages but at the same time won't authenticate it.
Old 15th October 2015, 07:20 PM
Administrator

There is already talks about the possibility of ordaining women as deacons in this Synod. An Archbishop present at the Synod favors this proposal in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Ob1vBsGVo

Also, Fr. Gerald Murray seems to be worried that many souls could be endangered by "false teachings"; but the Pope is the one who will teach out of this Synod and if he "endanger souls", then the Church would be defectible and the gates of Hell would have pravailed, which is not the case. Doctrine can not be simplified, just as the doctrine of "Outside the Church there is no salvation".

Regarding the "married and re-married cannot receive Communion", yes, but many marriages nowadays are/were not true Sacraments, so the Church guided by the Holy Spirit and in communion with Christ's Vicar can and will amplify the teaching of people in state of grace.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26

Last edited by Brother : 15th October 2015 at 07:33 PM.