CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > the Church
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th June 2016, 07:04 PM

Default Pope's comments on marriage.

I really have no opinion. The comments appear very odd. They appear hyperbolic. Various internet sites have been very active in both condemning and trying to explain the comments. What could possibly be on the mind of Pope francis to state that the majority of Catholic marriages are invalid? Even though he stated that a "majority" are invalid, he subsequently released a clarification or a revision that only "a portion" are invalid.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...uggests-51752/
Old 17th June 2016, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Most married Catholics are minimally-practicing or non-practicing. It may be that they contracted marriage without the intent needed: to commit to a lifelong union before God.

The Pope is only expressing an opinion. Certainly far too many marriages are invalid. But it seems unlikely that most are invalid, since the Sacraments are not fragile; they are not easily made invalid.
Old 18th June 2016, 12:49 AM

I absolutely will not be drawn into a bout of criticizing the Pope, but I have to admit that I've thought for some time that he is a little careless with his speech. He may not mean for something to be taken so literally, but in his position everything he says is thoroughly analyzed. I just wish he were more circumspect before he says things that are so significant.
Old 18th June 2016, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Well, Popes are fallen sinners, and they are subject to legitimate respectful criticism. The prime example of this in Scripture is Paul criticizing Peter (Cephas).

[Galatians]
{2:11} But when Cephas had arrived at Antioch, I stood against him to his face, because he was blameworthy.
{2:12} For before certain ones arrived from James, he ate with the Gentiles. But when they had arrived, he drew apart and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision.
{2:13} And the other Jews consented to his pretense, so that even Barnabas was led by them into that falseness.
{2:14} But when I had seen that they were not walking correctly, by the truth of the Gospel, I said to Cephas in front of everyone: “If you, while you are a Jew, are living like the Gentiles and not the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to keep the customs of the Jews?”

Perhaps Pope Francis should be more careful in his off-the-cuff remarks.

But he did make a good point about Catholic marriages. Many are not valid because many Catholics have (mostly) lost the Faith. They barely believe anything that can be called Catholic anymore.
Old 19th June 2016, 05:05 PM

I agree on all of your points.
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:20 AM

When Pope Francis made that remark, I tended to agree that, yes, only some Catholic marriages are sacramentally legitimate. (See how I avoided saying 'most' are not?)

Joey