CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Q: which Bible versions do you use?

question for members:

1. Which Bible version(s) do you use?

2. Which Bible version(s) do you own?
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:58 PM

1. CPDV, NAB, Good News Bible-Catholic study version

2. NAB, NIV
Old 23rd May 2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
question for members:

1. CPDV & any of the various Douey Rheims versions

2. CPDV in process, and the Confraternity of the Precious Blood version(I dont know the official name of this translation, but the translation tends to be thumbs down. It tends to be too vague in its translation) I've been a bit neglectful of purchasing the Douey Reims version since it is so readily available on the net.
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
1. CPDV & any of the various Douey Rheims versions

2. CPDV in process, and the Confraternity of the Precious Blood version(I dont know the official name of this translation, but the translation tends to be thumbs down. It tends to be too vague in its translation) I've been a bit neglectful of purchasing the Douey Reims version since it is so readily available on the net.

I can't find any information on a version of the Bible by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood. Can you provide more information about this version?
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I can't find any information on a version of the Bible by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood. Can you provide more information about this version?

Sorry Ron it is the one you referenced in the other thread:

"Confraternity Edition - a 1941 revision of the Challoner edition undertaken by the Catholic Biblical Association of America, "
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Sorry Ron it is the one you referenced in the other thread:

"Confraternity Edition - a 1941 revision of the Challoner edition undertaken by the Catholic Biblical Association of America, "

You realize that the Confraternity edition is not associated at all with the Confraternity of the Precious Blood, right? The term Confraternity in the version name refers to the Bishops' Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
You realize that the Confraternity edition is not associated at all with the Confraternity of the Precious Blood, right? The term Confraternity in the version name refers to the Bishops' Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.

No I didnt realize. I am not well versed in these things. I am at work now and didnt have this Bible readily available. Again sorry.
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
question for members:

I own the italian bishop's conference bible, that is a CEI Bible, a huge Martini's illustrated bible in five volumes (which was reedited by a bishop in 1980's) and I recently bought a Ricciotti bible.

I used the CEI bible, but I found that many terms and words and levels of meaning were being veiled, because that is a modern translation, a Neo Vulgate, so I placed it back on the shelf.

I was trying to find an italian Bible that was based solely on the old Vulgate, which would sound more like the Douay Rheims Bible in english.
Bishop Martini was the first to translate a latin Vulgate directly into old italian in the sixteen's century, so that common people could get access to it. I was lucky to own one without realizing it, but it's huge and heavy, beside the written italian is awkward.

I made some research and discovered that a certain Ricciotti made an italian version of the Vulgate in 1955, exactly the one I was looking for. Unfortunately they are out of print but many people do find them reliable and consistent, so I managed buy one from e-bay. That is the one I use now.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)

Last edited by Rob : 23rd May 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

So basically you use the Italian equivalent or near-equivalent of the Challoner Douai-Rheims Bible. Is that other Italian edition actually based on the Neo-Vulgate?
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:32 PM

The italian bishop's conference bible, the one that is more promoted in the italian catholic environment, originally had to be a translation of the Vulgate, but then it was decided to make an ex-novo translation from the main italian bible versions that were circulating in the 1960's.
Also this bible is based on the greek texts and modern translation, so it's quite distant from the Vulgate. The italian bibles before the Second Vatican Council were all translations of the Vulgate, but the ones after 1960 are all modern translation that ignore the Latin tradition.

Some people, especially traditionalists do seek the old translations that were made before the Council, because they are direct translations of the Vulgate (or at least they are primarely based on the Sixtus Vulgate with some reference to the greek texts). But the post-Conciliar Bibles are not based on the Vulgate at all, rather they seem to me a melting pot between different modern versions.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)

Last edited by Rob : 23rd May 2008 at 07:36 PM.