CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th November 2008, 08:42 AM

Default Mat 25:14-30

Ron, after I read Mat 25:14-30, I don't understand one of it verses, that is Mat 25:29, it says:
Quote:
For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he shall have in abundance. But from him who has not, even what he seems to have, shall be taken away.{Mat 25:29}
Ron, what's your opinion/think about Mat 25:29? Do you know what it means?

Thanks.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

{25:29} For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he shall have in abundance. But from him who has not, even what he seems to have, shall be taken away.

Most passages in Scripture have more than one meaning.
One of the meanings, in my opinion, is about judgment at the end of a person's life. If a person dies in a state of actual mortal sin, they may have done some good in their life, but still they are sent to Hell.

Also, some persons who are sent to Hell, having died unrepentant from actual mortal sin, may seem to have good lives. Such a person may well have friends and family, to whom he is kind, may have a good job that he does well, may donate to charity, may seem to be a good person living a good life. But God sees and knows the heart and mind, and some persons who seem to be good may have a mortal sin on their conscience, from which they are unrepentant. And so all the good that they seem to have will be lost.
Old 19th November 2008, 01:40 PM

Oh, I see, so it's not about rich or poor in material(money). And Ron, does sin have level from lightest to heaviest? What are the level? Does this level is the same with 10 commandment from God? I mean, the 1st command is about to worship and love God with all we have, then if someone don't do that, does he commit the heaviest sin? And in some post in this thread, I read about actual sin, gravely immoral, what is actual sin, example? And what do you mean by gravely immoral? Is it a level of sin? What is the example of gravely immoral act?
Old 19th November 2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
Oh, I see, so it's not about rich or poor in material(money). And Ron, does sin have level from lightest to heaviest? What are the level? Does this level is the same with 10 commandment from God? I mean, the 1st command is about to worship and love God with all we have, then if someone don't do that, does he commit the heaviest sin? And in some post in this thread, I read about actual sin, gravely immoral, what is actual sin, example? And what do you mean by gravely immoral? Is it a level of sin? What is the example of gravely immoral act?

sins are divided into venial sin and mortal sin; mortal sins are grave (serious), and venial sins are less serious but still immoral. When a mortal sin is done with full knowledge and full intent, then it is an actual mortal sin. If the sin was committed without a full intent or without full knowledge of the seriousness and immorality of the act, then there is a reduction of culpability, so that the act would be an actual venial sin. An objective mortal sin is an act which would be an actual mortal sin, deserving of hellfire and causing a loss of the state of grace, if it were done with full knowledge and full intent.

So there are two basic levels of sin:
mortal sin, deserving of hellfire and causing a loss of the state of grace
and
venial sin, not deserving of hellfire but still deserving of some punishment in this life or in Purgatory, and not resulting in a loss of the state of grace

Some venial sins are more or less sinful than other venial sins.
Some mortal sins are more or less sinful than other mortal sins.
The degree of sinfulness within venial or mortal will depend upon intention and circumstance.

examples of sin:

venial sin: lying about a small matter to avoid hurting someone's feelings
mortal sin: lying in a court of law about a murder so that an innocent person is convicted of the crime
Old 20th November 2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the explanation Ron, it is clear for me now about the level of sin.