CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Catholic Humor
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th July 2010, 09:58 PM

Default Humor in Sacred Scripture

I am finding there is some humor in Sacred Scripture, and even some sarcasm especially among the prophets. Here is the one I just came across which I thought was funny from Tobit who doesnt know he is in fact in the presence of the great Angel Raphael:

{5:20} But the Angel said to him, “I will lead your son safely, and I will bring him back safely to you.”
{5:21} And so Tobit, answering, said, “May you walk well, and may God be with you on your journey, and may his Angel accompany you.”

Old 19th July 2010, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Maybe Raphael just winked at Tobias after that ...hahah

Old 19th July 2010, 06:29 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

I got this in my email the other day. I laughed out loud. I do hope nobody is offended.
An old nun
who was living in a convent next to a construction site
noticed the coarse language of the workers
and decided to spend some time with them to correct their ways.

She decided she would take her lunch;
sit with the workers; and talk with them.

She put her sandwich in a brown bag and
walked over to the spot where the men were eating.

Sporting a big smile, she walked up to the group and asked:
"And do you men know Jesus Christ?"

They shook their heads and looked at each other... very confused.

One of the workers looked up into the steelworks and yelled out,
"Anybody up there know Jesus Christ?"

One of the steelworkers yelled down, "Why?"

The worker yelled back,

"'Cause his wife's here with his lunch."
Old 19th July 2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
I am finding there is some humor in Sacred Scripture, and even some sarcasm especially among the prophets. Here is the one I just came across which I thought was funny from Tobit who doesnt know he is in fact in the presence of the great Angel Raphael:

{5:20} But the Angel said to him, “I will lead your son safely, and I will bring him back safely to you.”
{5:21} And so Tobit, answering, said, “May you walk well, and may God be with you on your journey, and may his Angel accompany you.”

Yeah.., that's funny , Tobit's saying was honest and sincere...

Ron, I got something in mind by this story, do you think it could be happen this days, that an Angel disguise to be a person, a man or a woman, which we don't know well, but his/her act is good, sincere, honest and most importantly help us in needed time or in difficult situations?
Old 19th July 2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
Ron, I got something in mind by this story, do you think it could be happen this days, that an Angel disguise to be a person, a man or a woman, which we don't know well, but his/her act is good, sincere, honest and most importantly help us in needed time or in difficult situations?

It is very rare today for a holy angel to appear as if he were a man, and to intervene, in such a manner, in human events, as did happen to Tobit. But it is still possible.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator

There are elements of humor in Jesus' teachings -- not that He was joking about anything he taught, but he does present certain teachings by means of amusing figures of speech.

{6:28} And as for clothing, why are you anxious? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither work nor weave.
{6:29} But I say to you, that not even Solomon, in all his glory, was arrayed like one of these.

{7:9} Or what man is there among you, who, if his son were to ask him for bread, would offer him a stone;
{7:10} or if he were to ask him for a fish, would offer him a snake?
{7:11} Therefore, if you, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your sons, how much more will your Father, who is in heaven, give good things to those who ask him?

{11:7} Then, after they departed, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: “What did you go out to the desert to see? A reed shaken by the wind?
{11:8} So what did you go out to see? A man in soft garments? Behold, those who are clothed in soft garments are in the houses of kings.
{11:9} Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator

I find this amusing:

{13:6} And then he came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to him, “Lord, would you wash my feet?”
{13:7} Jesus responded and said to him: “What I am doing, you do not now understand. But you shall understand it afterward.”
{13:8} Peter said to him, “You shall never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you will have no place with me.”
{13:9} Simon Peter said to him, “Then Lord, not only my feet, but also my hands and my head!”

A little bit more and Peter said to Him: "Then shower me all over".
Old 19th July 2010, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
Yeah.., that's funny , Tobit's saying was honest and sincere...

There is a story of a soldier that was helped by St. Michael the Archangel who appeared to him just as another soldier at first in 1950:

http://americaneedsfatima.blogspot.c...ng-marine.html
Old 19th July 2010, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
-- not that He was joking about anything he taught, but he does present certain teachings by means of amusing figures of speech.

[Sirarch]
{25:23} and there is no anger above the anger of a wife. It would be more agreeable to abide with a lion or a dragon, than to live with a wicked wife.

Some men would testify that this is true or that it would be better to abide with a lion or a dragon than with a wicked mother-in-law.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:43 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Careful, Brother- some of us are m-i-l's. lol