CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Catholic Humor
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2010, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Regarding the human nature of our Lord, I think Jesus' first smile was during the Nativity, when He saw our Virgin Mary's smiling and caring face (He stopped crying and started smiling) and some of Jesus' first laughs were when St. Joseph was playing with Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne D'Arc View Post
A side note -or question - did anybody read "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco? It was out about 20 or so years ago and was about a group of monks in a remote monastery trying to solve a murder in their midst and it all centered around the presupposition that Jesus never laughed. It was a very intriguing story and I highly recommend it. It takes place in Medieval times so is not dated even though it is old.

I haven't heard about that novel, Jeanne, but seems interesting
Old 22nd July 2010, 06:32 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Regarding the human nature of our Lord, I think Jesus' first smile was during the Nativity, when He saw our Virgin Mary's smiling and caring face (He stopped crying and started smiling) and some of Jesus' first laughs were when St. Joseph was playing with Him.

I haven't heard about that novel, Jeanne, but seems interesting

There was a movie starring Sean Connery made from the novel, but the book is worth looking for. I am sure it is in libraries. As I recall there was quite a bit of Latin in it and it was kind of a kick trying (mostly in vain) to figure it out from my high school Latin classes many many many years ago. It had some really good mystery twists in the plot and I am making myself want to reread it!
Old 15th April 2011, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I find this part humorous:

[Daniel]
{14:33} And the angel of the Lord said to Habakkuk, “Carry the meal that you have into Babylon, to Daniel, who is in the lions’ den.”
{14:34} And Habakkuk said, “Lord, I have not seen Babylon, and I do not know the den.”
{14:35} And the angel of the Lord seized him by the top of his head, and carried him by the hair of his head, and set him in Babylon, over the den, by the force of his spirit.

Poor Habakkuk.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:20 PM

Default There is a sense of humor in Heaven

I think Our Lord had a good sense of humor. I know God Almighty does. How else could one explain Him speaking of salvation when he knew how sinful we are?
Old 21st September 2014, 12:04 AM

The tone of black humor is so often in the Bible...

God saves Lot from Sodoma and Gomora , for being righteous...

And then his daughters rape him while his taking a nap...

Last edited by Keva : 21st September 2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 26th September 2014, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Another tone, at the Ascension of the Lord:

Seeing a man going up to Heaven is something you don't see everyday, it's a once in a lifetime event and something to talk about. Like watching a rocket going up to the moon for the first time, but this is even more, for it's not a machine, it's a man going up! So seeing God-Man going up to Heaven must have been an event of amazement for many people.

Yet, then, while they where watching, two men came and said: "Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking up toward heaven?"

So God is telling them "Ok, show is over, get back to work"!
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26