CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th April 2007, 05:07 AM
MarieM

Quick question. What exactly is the so-called 'Book of Judas'?
Where did it come from? Who is promoting it? Why?

I saw something about it on the history channel or some such channel and I didn't watch it because I know it is bogus, but, why do people believe in it?

I would like to be informed so that I can make sure I can answer questions concerning this.

God Bless,
M.
Old 9th April 2007, 07:29 AM

Cool The Protestant Bible

Ron, I read in a piece of Catholic apologetic literature that the King James Version
contains "hundreds of theological errors". I am wondering what kind of errors
these can possibly be.
Old 9th April 2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
Quick question. What exactly is the so-called 'Book of Judas'?
Where did it come from? Who is promoting it? Why?

I saw something about it on the history channel or some such channel and I didn't watch it because I know it is bogus, but, why do people believe in it?

I would like to be informed so that I can make sure I can answer questions concerning this.

God Bless,
M.

There are dozens of books, called non-canonical literature, written in the first few centuries after Christ:
http://wesley.nnu.edu/biblical_studi...anon/index.htm
These include some books called 'Gospels'.
They are books written by human persons about Christ.
They may contain some truths and some errors.
They are not inspired.

The 'Gospel of Judas' is a separate case. Whereas many of the non-canonical books are clearly written by Christians, the Gospel of Judas was written by Gnostic heretics with a very different and rather extreme confessional bias.

More in this thread:
http://catholicplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94
Old 9th April 2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Angel View Post
Ron, I read in a piece of Catholic apologetic literature that the King James Version
contains "hundreds of theological errors". I am wondering what kind of errors
these can possibly be.

That sounds like something of an exaggeration to me. There are errors in the KJV due to the use of a limited selection of manuscripts, and also some confessional bias in that the KJV was written during a time of opposition between the Anglicans and Catholics.

I've not studied the KJV extensively enough to list its errors, but I don't think it is as unreliable as that apologetic piece is saying. Most translations, even if far from perfect, are still sufficient for the vast majority of the truths of the Word of God to shine through.
Old 10th April 2007, 04:24 AM
Joan

Many writers, one Author of the Bible.

The same Author through many voices, in a single unity with levels and layers of meaning, character, symbol and consistency. A unity with sparks and flashes of fire and color: Psalms passionate and lyrical, Matthew solid and meticulous, John enigmatic yet intimate. The Bible is a flawless diamond. Inspiration from the One Author, reflected to us through the expressive capacities of individuals.

When theologians scrutinize the various books of the Bible without wisdom, faith, respect, without love of God, they are just hammering at faith, their skepticism and fruitless speculations obscure the Scripture and leave only dust and jagged shards. The relentless bludgeoning of Scripture in a quest for "historicity" is an attack on Truth. It is possible to ruin a diamond in the cutting.

At least one old friend has lost faith through parsing and pecking and chip, chip, chipping away at the authorship and historicity of the Bible. Having been indoctrinated into automatic skepticism, she is scornful of all but political piety. Our society and our faith, has been damaged by this betrayal at the hands of intellectual wolves.

I believe that mystery, enigma, poetry, and even the surreal have a role to play in revealing the breathtaking, ravishing, daunting Transcendence of the Creator. He Who Is, Was and Is To Come. The Bible is a Fire Stone, the Lord is a Consuming Fire
Old 10th April 2007, 04:48 AM
Joan

Default confessional bias?

Ron, I read through the thread again, but can't find specific on confessional bias. Does that mean a bias towards a one-time confession of faith, once saved always saved theology?
Old 10th April 2007, 10:24 AM
Padraig

Cool

Cecil,

I don't believe in mathematical 'numbers' codes, I don't think that's how the SPirit works.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
Ron, I read through the thread again, but can't find specific on confessional bias. Does that mean a bias towards a one-time confession of faith, once saved always saved theology?

a 'confession' is a particular denomination.
a confessional bias is a bias toward the doctrines of that denomination

For example, one Protestant translation has a bias against the idea of Sacred Tradition, so every time the word tradition occurs in the text in a positive context, they translate it as 'teaching' and everytime the same word occurs in a negative context (such as referring to the Pharisees), they translate it as tradition.