CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th April 2007, 03:09 AM
supporting member

Red face

Ron, don't you think you might have been a bit harsh with Gary? You have the gift of understanding and have chosen to teach to build up the kingdom of Christ. I am sure Gary and his wife are trying their best and the fact that they end up on this forum means they are seeking to better understand what the Church teaches. They too have a purpose in building up the Kingdom. Teach with love and understand that some people can be turned off with words like appalled. They may leave the forum and miss out on learning to better serve others for Christ.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Ron,

You have put much emphasize on our personal responsibility in growing in the understanding of the Faith. I understand you to mean that we simply shouldn't parrot something we've learned in the past, but pursue the acquisition of a deeper and fuller grasp of the Truth.

That being said, don't you think certain individuals have a greater propensity to engage in such an endeavor than others? Consider the contrast between my wife and myself. Geralyn is very much a doer and her life is rich in the works of mercy, especially the corporal. Where I might receive great benefit from probing the depths of eucharistic theology and doctrine, my wife would much rather receive her Lord, adore Christ in her heart, then go out and do something practical to help extend the Kingdom. From the perspective of her personality,she would tend to see our discourse as too heady and less fruitful.

What thinkest thou?

These posts are just a brief summary of the basics of the faith.
If I were teaching a class on Catholicism to high school or middle school students, I would teach much the same material.
If any members want to delve into this subject in greater theological detail, they can read my articles at CatholicPlanet.com
But this material is not the more profound; it is the basics that everyone should understand.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Ron, don't you think you might have been a bit harsh with Gary? You have the gift of understanding and have chosen to teach to build up the kingdom of Christ. I am sure Gary and his wife are trying their best and the fact that they end up on this forum means they are seeking to better understand what the Church teaches. They too have a purpose in building up the Kingdom. Teach with love and understand that some people can be turned off with words like appalled. They may leave the forum and miss out on learning to better serve others for Christ.

[James 3]
{3:1} My brothers, not many of you should choose to become teachers, knowing that you shall receive a stricter judgment.

What Gary says that he and his wife teach is abject heresy.
It also shows that they both have such a poor understanding of the faith,
that they should not even be permitted to teach children.
They have taken roles as teachers, so they are subject to a stricter judgment.
If a layperson sins against the faith, it is one sin.
But if he teaches his sin as if it were part of the faith, it is many sins.

Have you never read in Scripture the kinds of words that our Lord used
to rebuke the scribes and Pharisees?
Or the kind of words that Paul used to rebuke the Galatians or the Corinthians?

Ron
Old 5th April 2007, 12:09 PM
supporting member

Again, salvation is serious. Teach on. Sammy.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:38 PM
Padraig

I'll have to read and reread all this quite a few times in order to catch up, a lot of praying on it too. As someone says its deep dense stuff. But interesting.
Old 5th April 2007, 03:01 PM
McJon

Default Still Reading

Ron,

Just wanted to let you know I'm reading and catching up. I'll have it all read by Sunday!

McJon
Old 5th April 2007, 03:22 PM

Ron,

I'm reading all the post for "TS", I am trying to undertand as I read, but I do have one question that a non-believer asked me yesterday but was not sattisfied with my answer. The questions is : why women cannot be ordained priest? I went into the tradition answer, etc, etc...but is there like a primary *A, *B and *C to this answer?

I apoligize if this questions seems redundant to the teaching, but I am trying to put my thoughts together to a more explanative answer in a simple more understandable way which I am not sure if there is one...

sorry again and thanks for all the effort you are putting for us to undertand our faith better...

God bless,

MA
Old 5th April 2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA View Post
Ron,

I'm reading all the post for "TS", I am trying to undertand as I read, but I do have one question that a non-believer asked me yesterday but was not sattisfied with my answer. The questions is : why women cannot be ordained priest? I went into the tradition answer, etc, etc...but is there like a primary *A, *B and *C to this answer?

I apoligize if this questions seems redundant to the teaching, but I am trying to put my thoughts together to a more explanative answer in a simple more understandable way which I am not sure if there is one...

sorry again and thanks for all the effort you are putting for us to undertand our faith better...

God bless,

MA

women cannot be ordained as priests or bishops because:

1. Christ did not ordain women, nor did He choose women Apostles

2. Christ did not give the Church the authority to ordain women priests or bishops

3. The Church has never ordained women as priests or bishops

4. The example of Christ and of the Church through the centuries constitutes a clear teaching by example of Sacred Tradition

5. Pope John Paul II has infallibly taught that the Church was not given the authority to validly ordain women to the priesthood.

6. Scripture contains no support at all in either Testament for the ordination of women priests or bishops.

Tradition, Scripture, and the Magisterium all clearly teach that God did not give women the role of priest or of bishop in the Church.

Why?

because men and women are wisely given different roles by God in the Church, the family, and society; the teaching of modern society that anyone can have any role is contrary to Christian teaching

because the priest stands in the place and role of Christ, representing the person of Christ, not merely acting on behalf of Christ.

because Mary, the preeminent example that a Christian woman should imitate, did not take any role even approaching that of a priest or bishop

Ron
Old 5th April 2007, 04:02 PM

Thumbs up

Ron,
Thanks for your explanative answers...it hels puts things into a better perspective,....

Another questions: I saw your proposed addition to the Rosary; does that mean that the Rosary falls into a non-falliable teaching?

Thanks and God Bless,

MA
Old 5th April 2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

The Rosary itself is a devotion, not a teaching, however, the mysteries of the Rosary are the subject of Church teaching, and the Church does teach that the Rosary is a good method of prayer.

The additional mysteries that I propose:

1. Immaculate Conception
2. Birth of Mary
3. service of Mary in the temple
4. virginal marriage of Mary to Joseph
5. role of Zechariah, Elizabeth, and John in salvation history

are not controversial, although I do have some speculative theology pertaining to Mary's conception and birth.

The proposal of new forms of prayer and even new ways of praying the Rosary is within the role of laypersons; whether or not the Church will adopt such a proposal is uncertain.

The Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary were first proposed by Bl. George Preca of Malta, and later adopted but also amended by Pope John Paul II.

Ron