CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex View Post
Ron, then should your teachings about Tradition contained in your article be caveated in the sense that, although implicit in the Church's doctrine (which you suggest and I agree with), it has not been explicitly taught by the Magisterium as of yet and therefore infallible.
The teachings of the ordinary Magisterium are non-infallible. Only the teachings of the Sacred Magisterium are infallible.

The teaching of the Church includes:

everything taught by Sacred Tradition, even if not explicitly taught by the Magisterium,
and
everything taught by Sacred Scripture, even if not explicitly taught by the Magisterium,
and
everything taught by the Magisterium.

So I don't think a caveat is needed if a teaching is in Tradition and Scripture, but not yet explicitly taught by the Magisterium.

In order to live the Catholic Faith, one needs to accept and make use of:
the infallible
the non-infallible
and the fallible.

No one can teach the Catholic Faith without including all three. So whenever I teach on any topic in the Faith, even something infallible like the Immaculate Conception, I inevitably say some things that are at the level of theological opinion.

It is not always clear which teachings are infallible, which are non-infallible, and which are theological opinion.
Old 4th August 2008, 04:04 AM

Thanks Ron, this puts perspective and insight in my faith in the Catholic Church. Your perspective on the effects of Tradition on the Church and everybody outside of it has truly helped me broaden my mind and be less judgemental about others.
Old 4th August 2008, 05:19 AM

Ron, you teach that "the canon of Sacred Scripture is closed and will not be reopened until Christ returns. Then a third Testament will be added to the Bible, one which contains the deeds and words of Christ at His return. Sacred Tradition will continue with the Return of Christ, during the time period of the Third Testament. Thus, the canon of Sacred Tradition can never close, until mankind's salvation is complete. Sacred Tradition is the deeds of God in salvation history. God continually seeks our salvation, so the canon of Sacred Tradition cannot close. But when mankind's salvation is finally completed, perhaps then the canon of Sacred Tradition will be closed."

Ron, do you think that the Third Testament will complete, if you will, the Book of Revelation with respect to final eschatology ?
Old 4th August 2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex View Post
Ron, do you think that the Third Testament will complete, if you will, the Book of Revelation with respect to final eschatology ?

It is speculative that a third Testament will be written.
I think that it will have a number of different books in it.
I like your idea that it may have a book related to the events of Revelation.
Old 4th August 2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
It is speculative that a third Testament will be written.
I think that it will have a number of different books in it.
I like your idea that it may have a book related to the events of Revelation.

Perhaps this book will go in further detail with respect to eschatology after the Millenium. I guess if there is to be a Third Testament (and probalby last), one would expect to find a book on Last Things!

I have to say your theology on The Three Testaments of Sacred Scripture as a reflection of the Most Holy Trinity really makes sense. It makes me want to better understand the Trinity. If the Third Testament is to be a reflection of the Holy Spirit, then this Testament will teach immensly on holiness.
Old 4th August 2008, 02:05 PM

Indeed, there is an entire book dedicated to the deeds - "acts" of the first Christian community.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
See this thread:
No salvation outside of the Church
http://catholicplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2413

John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us." Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us. Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward."

{Mark 9, 38-41}

Pax
J.A.