CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th March 2015, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Default the Bible and the Warning

Read the whole Bible in preparation for the Warning

I propose that we read the whole Bible in preparation for the Warning on Good Friday of 2016 (March 25th). Here is the math:

* 5 days a week (Mon. through Fri.) for 52 weeks is 260 days.
* 1 chapter per day from the New Testament (260 chapters)
* 4 chapters/day from the Old Testament, except 5 chapters/day for Psalms and Wisdom (1074 chapters).

We should then finish the reading about a week or two before Good Friday in 2016. Why read only on weekdays? So that, if you fall behind in the readings, you can catch-up on the week-end.

I'll be reading my own translation for the program, the CPDV found here:
http://www.sacredbible.org/catholic/
But you can read whichever version you prefer.
Some versions have slightly different numbering of chapters and verses.

I'll be starting this reading program on Monday, March 16th, 2015. I won't be making daily comments on the reading program. So you'll have to be well motivated to persevere for a year in this program. I'm posting this note in my discussion group (CatholicPlanet.com) and on my blog (ronconte.wordpress.com).

Ronald L. Conte Jr.
Old 13th March 2015, 12:09 AM

Count me in. Will we discuss certain passages though?
Old 13th March 2015, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonafreak View Post
Count me in. Will we discuss certain passages though?

Sure, just post a question or comment.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Sure, just post a question or comment.

Will you be posting what we need to read for the day ? It would be helpful for undisciplined persons like me !
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 13th March 2015, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Will you be posting what we need to read for the day ? It would be helpful for undisciplined persons like me !

I will post the weekly list of readings per day on Sunday.
Old 13th March 2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I will post the weekly list of readings per day on Sunday.

Thanks. I admit one off my biggest struggles is reconciling some passages about God in the Old Testament with the God in the new testament as depicted by Jesus.
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 13th March 2015, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Thanks. I admit one off my biggest struggles is reconciling some passages about God in the Old Testament with the God in the new testament as depicted by Jesus.

There's only one God.

The Old Testament law includes many crimes for which the Israelites were commanded to put the guilty to death. Sacred Scripture is the inerrant Word of God, a written reflection of Christ, the Living Word. Therefore, any act commanded in the Old Testament law cannot be intrinsically evil. For God never requires anyone to commit any kind of moral evil. But we must also consider the circumstances of the Old Testament law.

Before the Jewish Faith was established by God, through Abraham and the Patriarchs and Moses, the world knew only pagan religions. These religions did not know that God is One; they believed in many gods. And they did not know that true worship must include doing good and avoiding evil. Their religion did not teach them good from evil to any substantial extent. They had the light of reason, but their perception of good and evil by reason alone was filled with many serious errors, due to original sin and personal sin.

So in order to establish the worship of the one true God, who is Goodness itself, and in order to incorporate a true and full morality into the lives of the Israelites and ultimately into the whole world, the penalties for doing evil had to be more severe than would be required in another set of circumstances. And all this was necessarily to prepare the Israelites, so that the Messiah, who would offer salvation to all persons, could be born among a people who worshipped the one true God in truth and justice. For the salvation of all, some harsher penalties were necessary, in order to prepare the way for the Messiah among a people who (like all peoples) were sinful and resistant to change.

Once the Messiah, Jesus Christ, arrived and taught us, and once he died for our salvation, the harsher penalties of the Old Testament law were no longer necessary. The preparation for, and the arrival of, the Messiah had occurred. And greater graces were now available through the New Testament Sacraments than had been available previously, even to the people of the Promise, the Israelites. True morality had been established among the Jews, and next was offered by Christianity to all persons, Jews and Gentiles. The death penalty remains moral under the second font, but the circumstances have changed. There is less need for the death penalty now that Christ has arrived and has established the Church and the Sacraments.
Old 13th March 2015, 08:02 PM

Default Pope's announcement and 2016 Warning.

Ron I am reading on the net that the Pope has made December 8 2015 to November 20, 2016 as an Extraordinary Holy Year. Any connection to the warning?
Old 13th March 2015, 08:12 PM

Sorry, you answered in other posting.
Old 14th March 2015, 01:51 PM

Sorry, missed that post, where is your answer Ron?