CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th May 2008, 09:19 AM

Default catholic community

I started to doubt the teaching of the prayer community I am in. Leaders were involved and very supportive when it comes to politics. And some leaders chosen do not believe in all what church teaches. There is tithes which is part of stewardship the "Time treasure talent".

Here is what vatican says:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...rists-GK-focus

http://www.newsbreak.com.ph/index.ph... mid=88889051

They advice member to praise/speak in tounges perhaps because it is in the new testament. A gift which I don't have. I only give advice that we should pray the Rosary ... because Blessed Mary says " it is the only one that can truly unites Family".

And , I'm losing my vigilance in this community it is because of the Rosary which is not part of the prayer meetings and also the messages at "little Mary often tells " Join the prayer groups that I have formed." The one thing that keeps me there are my members and friends who listen to me.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

can you be more specific about this community?
Old 8th May 2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
can you be more specific about this community?

It has been 4 years now since I am a member of this lay group (a family ministry ), The first thing I like in this one is that it is Catholic, and it is for couples. This lay group sprang from Charismatic movements and made their own group and spread nationwide, so most of the praying activities are patterned to the charismatic groups. Me being a member likes so much community prayers and new friends. But recently ther is split within the group as I have posted the links above. The leaders are silent about this and ask them that they should be truthful and tell the lower members.. should know why. And also asked them why our groups doesn't participate in parishes activities during lent because most of the Marian cenacles are active when it comes to this. I find no answer.

I ask them why we tithes although it is not a set percentage.
I ask them why do they almost push the priest to run for Governor.

And they give much emphasis on the gift speaking/praying in tounge as if it is the sign that other members believe that it is better than Mass or the homily of the priest a speaker on this group did this and as a result members says Our speaker is right unlike in the mass we fell asleep on the homily. Which I always correct other members. Also other lay leaders seems not to believe or not taught that the doctrine of purgatory and communion of Saints are required belief. This things were not being taught during their monthly teachings. The Stewardship treasure pertains to money , I have read your article on this Ron. Their social worker for the poor is fine they give free housing through various sponsors, when it comes to teaching very poor and so easily shakes.
Old 8th May 2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

There seem to be some errors in that group which are often found in such groups. I will speak in general on the topic, since I'm not very familiar with your specific group:

1. some Catholic groups that teach extensively act as if they are the Magisterium, or as if they are replacing the role of the Bishops.

There was a group in the midwest which taught lay leaders and 'pastoral ministers'. They had funding and approval from the diocese. But the group taught their students as if they were the only teacher. They had a 'center' for teaching, and if any of their lay leaders or pastoral ministers had questions about the faith, they asked them of the center (not of the Bishop or priests). The Bishop shut them down. They were replacing the Bishop as teacher of the faith in the diocese.

2. some Catholic groups deveolp their own extensive set of teachings, attempting to teach the entire Catholic faith. In addition to teaching apart from the Bishops, they make the mistake of thinking that their own understanding of Catholicism is complete and is accurate. In truth, their understanding, no matter how faithful and sincere they may be, is limited. The Catholic faith contains mysteries beyond complete human comprehension. Even concerning what the human mind can comprehend, the Faith is a very extensive body of knowledge, which no one human person on earth encompasses. Also, they inevitably end up making theological mistakes, and they pass these on to their students.

This is the case with the group called the Neocatechumenal Way.

3. They began to separate from the rest of the Church. There is often secrecy in such groups. For example, the Neocatechumenal Way has a set of teachings which are very extensive, and not publicly available. The basis for what the group believes is this book, not Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium.

4. Groups based on a particular charismatic figure tend to devolve into this type of Catholic group. The leader becomes more important than the Pope and the Bishops. The teachings of the leader replace the teachings of TSM.

5. What happens with this kind of group is that any Catholic who does not know the Faith very well will benefit substantially by joining and learning from this group of faithful and sincere Catholics, who have some good knowledge of the Faith and some good practices. But then, eventually, the errors in the group's teaching, and the problems within their practices, do more harm than good to someone who knows the basic teachings of the Faith well.

6. This is also the case with groups based on a false private revelation.
Non-practicing Catholics and minimally-practicing Catholics join and
believe in the claimed private revelation, and they truly benefit at first,
mainly because they themselves had so little of correct belief and
practice in their lives. But once they become practicing Catholics and
have increased their knowledge of the Faith, they often fall away from
the claimed private revelation, because they begin to see the problems
with the group and its teachings.

7. So my advice to you is to evaluate whether or not belonging to this group is still a benefit to your belief and practice of the Catholic Faith. If you have out-grown the group, then leave it. Belong to the group called the Catholic Church. Do not stay in a group that you have out-grown merely because you have friends there.

8. Concerning this discussion group:

Always put Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium above any teachings by anyone in this group, including myself.

Try to distinguish between what is speculative theology and what is required belief (though this is not always clear in every case).

My own speculative theology should be taken with a grain of salt, and with the understanding that it is speculative.

It is good for members of this group to support one another as fellow Catholics, and even to develop friendships, but the group that we all belong to is the Catholic Church. This group should not become essential to anyone's Faith.

Ron
Old 9th May 2008, 03:50 AM

Thank you Ron for your guidance.