CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th December 2011, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Default Should extraordinary ministers of holy Communion bless children?

No, for several reasons explained here:
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/09/d-of-...-were-priests/

"within the context of Mass, blessings are the competency of the priest, not lay persons"

"The third observation addresses the practice in some places where the EMHC lays hands on a member of the congregation as a sign of blessing. The private reply states that this practice “is to be explicitly discouraged” because the laying on of hands has its own “sacramental significance” which is inappropriate here. The Catechism notes that since this specific sign commonly accompanies the administration of sacraments (e.g. Confirmation) and the succession of the apostles, the laying on of hands must not be used here."

" 'no one may on a personal initiative add to or omit or alter anything in [liturgical] books' as canon 846 of the Code of Canon Law clearly states. Nowhere in the Roman Missal or the GIRM are the extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion instructed to bless those unable to receive communion; therefore, this practice of blessing is one of these additions to the rite which is strictly prohibited."
Old 12th December 2011, 09:44 PM
Administrator

What about if it is not during Mass but in other religious event or meeting, can lay persons bless children? or do the laying on of hands on children's head as a sign of blessing?
Old 12th December 2011, 09:56 PM

Default Deacons

Can Deacons bless a congregation at the end of a Mass/Holy Hour?
Old 12th December 2011, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
What about if it is not during Mass but in other religious event or meeting, can lay persons bless children? or do the laying on of hands on children's head as a sign of blessing?

Any lay person can bless other persons, by praying for them, by asking God to bless them, etc. However, it should never take a form that suggests that the lay person has some role given only to the ordained. The laying on of hands is typically associated with Sacraments, such as Orders.

There is nothing that prohibits, absolutely, lay persons from blessing or from putting their hands on someone while blessing.

But I am concerned that some lay persons, such as claimed visionaries, might pretend that they can give some special type of blessing, other than what any and all of the faithful might do.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Thomas More View Post
Can Deacons bless a congregation at the end of a Mass/Holy Hour?

The deacon is an ordained person, and he can fulfill whatever role is given to him in the Mass:
http://old.usccb.org/liturgy/current...2.shtml#sect3d
90. The concluding rites consist of

1. Brief announcements, if they are necessary;
2. The priest's greeting and blessing, which on certain days and occasions is enriched and expressed in the prayer over the People or another more solemn formula;
3. The dismissal of the people by the deacon or the priest, so that each may go out to do good works, praising and blessing God;
4. The kissing of the altar by the priest and the deacon, followed by a profound bow to the altar by the priest, the deacon, and the other ministers.

But I see no theological reason why a deacon cannot bless the people, on behalf of the Church, within his proper role at a Communion Service, or a Holy Hour. He is ordained by the Church, and can therefore dispense the Sacrament of Baptism, and can preside at a Marriage. A blessing to the people is a lesser benefit; it is not above the competency of the role of deacon.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:18 AM
TheGiftOfLife

During Baptism the lay parents and godparents bless the child and trace the sign of the cross on the forehead with their thumbs.

If things are done in the right context there is no reason why someone cannot touch a persons head and make a sign of the cross on the forehead and ask God to bless them. I take Holy Water and put it on peoples foreheads and bless them. I do it in the right context,I NEVER act like a priest or think I have any special powers. I ask God to bless the person for example if they are going on a long trip.
Old 13th December 2011, 05:36 PM

Default Tearing down the priesthood seems one of the evil one's favorite hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Any lay person can bless other persons, by praying for them, by asking God to bless them, etc. However, it should never take a form that suggests that the lay person has some role given only to the ordained. The laying on of hands is typically associated with Sacraments, such as Orders.

There is nothing that prohibits, absolutely, lay persons from blessing or from putting their hands on someone while blessing.

But I am concerned that some lay persons, such as claimed visionaries, might pretend that they can give some special type of blessing, other than what any and all of the faithful might do.

This all fits the notion that the evil one promotes distortion, dilution, and confusion which all downplay the special and unique significance of the priesthood.
Old 13th December 2011, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
This all fits the notion that the evil one promotes distortion, dilution, and confusion which all downplay the special and unique significance of the priesthood.

The overuse of lay lectors and extraordinary ministers of holy Communion has the same effect, lay roles encroach on priestly roles, ordination seems less special, as if anyone could have any role.

I was at a Mass recently concelebrated by a Bishop and about 6 or 7 priests. The two readings and the psalm were all read by lay women. The Gospel was read by a deacon. At least, when it was time to dispense Communion, the priests and deacon did so; I didn't notice if there were any emhCs.
Old 13th December 2011, 06:30 PM

Default When you see things upside down, evil lurks.....

I am just kidding (hopefully) but one almost gets the feeling one day we will see rows of priests in the pews and 10 lay people doing the Mass on the altar!

Talk about reversal of roles!
Old 14th December 2011, 12:36 PM

As an emhC in a small rural parish I have to admit that the children blessing is one of the more difficult parts of being one. Kids don't cross their arms and so you don't know if they can receive Holy Communion or not. I personally think that unless you can receive Communion, they should stay in the pew. Make it mean something. They forget all too easily why they are going up in the first place. I do not lay on hands and simply say "God bless you" since that is what our priest instructed us to say. I am thinking of just doing a slight bow or nod of the head instead.