CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Popes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th August 2012, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Default The Next Pope

There are some claimed visionaries and other foolish persons saying that the next pope will be evil, that he will be either the Antichrist or the false prophet associated with the Antichrist. This claim cannot be true for a number of reasons.

First, the Church is indefectible. No Pope can lead the Church astray. No Pope can commit apostasy, or heresy, or schism. Neither can the body of Bishops all go astray. For the Magisterium rests with the Pope and the body of Bishops. If the Magisterium were to go astray, the Church would not longer be indefectible.

Second, there is no indication in Scripture that the Antichrist or the false prophet will become a Pope, nor even a false claimant to be Pope over the true Church. The Antichrist want to be worshiped as god, and being Pope is not amenable to that goal. The false prophet (who I believe will be a woman) helps the Antichrist set up his own false church, his own religious institution to promote his own worship, in competition with the Roman Catholic Church.

Third, the Antichrist cannot be in the world today because several more generations of events must unfold (according to Scripture and the Saints) before his time occurs.

http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2012/0...christ-arrive/

http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2012/0...the-next-pope/
Old 25th August 2012, 11:23 PM

I think a lot of Catholics are ignorant of authentic Catholic prophecy. They give equal weight to everything they hear or read. If they had read anything in depth on the subject they would realize that what you have stated is exactly correct.

It's sad because even though we're about to go through some very difficult times, there's real hope for a period of peace for the world and growth of the church. Most people don't realize that. They believe this is the end.
Old 26th August 2012, 03:51 PM

My understanding is that the Jews will recognize Christ prior to the arrival of the Anti-Christ. Until that occurs I expect Chastisements but not the end times.

Hopefully, I'm not being too simplistic