CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th November 2008, 06:26 PM

OK, I have a question. In my area, there is a rumor that if you are a husband and your wife is being pregnant, you and your wife should not kill any animal nor talk bad about people, if you break that, the bad consequences will go for the baby. How do you think about it? Is this rumor is true or not?

Note: My father family relatives is a hunter, it is his hobby, and he still doing hunting when his wife is being pregnant, and the result is bad for the baby(abnormal condition), he had 5 children, when his wife pregnant for the first child, he still doing hunt and killing animals(boar), then the first baby has abnormality in his eyes, when his wife pregnant for the 2nd child, he still insist doing hunt, and then the baby has an abnormal condition too, for the 3rd child, maybe he's afraid of that rumor and he did not hunt when his wife is being pregnant for his 3rd child, and then the baby born normally and have normal condition, the 4th pregnancy, he doing hunt, and bad comes for the 4th baby, and for the 5th pregnancy, he did not hunt, maybe he's learn a lesson from that bad thing, and then the 5th baby is health and normal.

This rumor is generated from my ancestor and my people in my area ancestor that you should not talk bad about other people nor killing any animal if your wife is being pregnant to avoid bad things to your newborn baby.

Have any of you experience this similiar condition?
Old 30th November 2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

This is a superstition and not at all true. If the killing of an animal is moral, as in the case of hunting, then there is no ill effect on the child.

As for speaking ill of others, one should always strive to avoid gossip and false accusations. But speaking the truth about something wrong that someone did is not immoral, and so again there is no harm to the child.

These superstitious ideas do not come from the teaching of Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium, but from secular society.
Old 30th November 2008, 06:45 PM

Hmm, I think your right. But it's better not to kill anything if you don't have reason for kill something right? And we should avoid gossip. Gossip is different from talking the truth about someone. OK, thanks for the explanation Ron.
Old 2nd December 2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Good intentions could be hunting ... for recreation,

I'm confused about this one. I'm not opposed to hunting, but killing or destroying anything for recreational purposes doesn't sit right with me. Is it supported by scripture?

Peace.
Old 2nd December 2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

The Catholic Faith is based on Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium.
There has never been a condemnation of hunting animals for sport, as opposed to for food, as far as I know.

Applying the three fonts of morality:

1. the intention is good, to engage in an enjoyable sport

2. the act itself of killing animals is not intrinsically evil.

3. the good generally outweights the bad, if the animal that is hunted is not endangered, and if no harm is done to persons or the environment.

So hunting animals for recreation would be moral.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:11 PM

One aspect not mentioned is that hunting for sport must also include responsible hunting. That would mean that if hunting for sport, use the meat for yourself or donate it. Once the deer is dead, it is food.

Also included is taking the deer with you when you are done if you are on someone's property. Sometimes hunters kill an animal, leave the carcass on someone's property which is disrespectful and may not grant you permission to hunt there again.

-jay
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:47 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
Imagine the looks on the faces of those animal rights types who will soon want to put federal restrictins on killing mosquitoes.

Ok to kill unborn babies, but don't you dare shoot a bear.

St. Francis was an animal lover. Yet even he had a dislike for ants. I don't think he or any other animal lovers would put a restriction on killing mosquitos.
Old 3rd December 2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
One aspect not mentioned is that hunting for sport must also include responsible hunting. That would mean that if hunting for sport, use the meat for yourself or donate it. Once the deer is dead, it is food.

Also included is taking the deer with you when you are done if you are on someone's property. Sometimes hunters kill an animal, leave the carcass on someone's property which is disrespectful and may not grant you permission to hunt there again.

-jay

Yes, hunting must be responsible to be moral. However, not all sport hunting must use the dead animal for food. For example, some hunters in the midwest will hunt prarie dogs. This is done both for recreation and because an excessive number of the animals will harm agriculture and become a nuisance.
Old 5th December 2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused for the following reasons:

1. I read that at one time the clergy was prohibited from hunting.

2. In reading Blessed Emmerich's account of St. Augustin as a child a remember her describing his killing of animals as one of his "bad" habits/behaviors prior to his conversion.

3. In my mind a made a distinction between hunting for food and population control and hunting as a sport -- as in killing something just for the fun of it.

Peace.

Last edited by Bible Apprentice : 5th December 2008 at 03:26 PM.