CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th March 2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default Family Guy

In case you haven't noticed. This program sickening and disgusting.

Promotes homosexuality, nudity, destroys families by promoting immorality as if it is ok and funny. But, moreover, attacks Christianity, attacks and mocks our Lord Jesus many times. Do you want to enjoy that?...

I'm not going to describe the things this show has done and shown on national TV for it's too repulsive to tell and very offensive to God. Even secular minded people say this shows crosses the line and find it disgusting. Do not think this garbage is ok or just amusing.

I don't want to be on the creator and promoters of this shows' shoes during the Warning. I hope after the Warning this show is cancelled and all its copies are burned or distroyed.

If you consider yourself a good Catholic and friend of Jesus, then, don't watch this show and if you usually had watched it or bought things related to it, then stop it and throw those away for that makes you sin or enjoy sin. Don't be lukewarm, remember our Lord says if something makes you sin, then throw it away or get out of there.

There are other TV shows that are vulgar that promotes sin nowadays as if it is ok, damaging the minds of the people. Be in fellowship with God by not enjoying these spectacles.

God bless you.
Old 13th March 2009, 04:15 PM

Default Well said

Well said, brother. What is most insidious is the way evil is presented via cartoons to make it appear less dangerous ( the simpsons etc).
Old 13th March 2009, 04:38 PM

I agree. Terrible show.

What never fails to amaze me is that of more than 1 billion Catholics, virtually all television shows aimed at 'comedy', be they animated or not, are deeply secular, and usually are anti-Catholic, or anti-religious in general. You would think that people would make a stand against this kind of behaviour, but people, many of them Catholics, laugh away at it all the same.

It is the same with books; how many times would you see people buying Catholic books in a bookshop? Remember how popular the 'Da Vinci Code' was when it first came out, then compare it with the sales of Pope Benedict's book 'Jesus of Nazareth', which did not do half as well.

For the life of me I couldn't watch any of this kind of rubbish; these days all I seem to be watching on TV is the news!

Shane
Old 13th March 2009, 05:25 PM
supporting member

In my humble opinion, there is no good reason to have a TV and I have not owned one in my adult life. I have had to say "no, thank you" when people have tried to give me one as a gift. My favorite TV show from childhood is "Little House on the Prairie" and it is available on DVD, so it can be watched without all the vulgar commercials on my computer screen.

Eternal Word Television Network is a Catholic network that has wonderfully edifying programs. Not only that, you can watch it 24 hrs a day live on your computer via the internet if you go to www.ewtn.com. It's the only thing I watch in terms of television. They are going to broadcast Pope Benedict's visit to the Holy Land in May.
Old 13th March 2009, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your comments.

Well, watching Television is not intrinsically evil so here we can apply the 3 fonts of morality.

TV and internet has its pros and cons. I particularly don't have a TV in my bedroom, I took it away. A computer is not recommended to have in one's bedroom or in an isolated place either for the internet also shows nasty things. In regards of Television and the Internet one has to select the programming and the things one has to watch. There are good TV programming as well as good internet sites such as Catholic channels, movies, on the internet we can find the Vatican's and this forum, among other very good sites. A parent control devise is helpful but the solution rest on our own decision to avoid bad programming. I wouldn't discard TV as a whole for it is good for its good Catholic shows, teaching children about or Faith, etc., it is also good for watching the lives of the saints, on DVD, etc.

However, if a person in particular finds it helpful to avoid TV and/or Internet at all for growing in the Faith and for staying in communion with God better, then, by all means, the person should continue to do so.
Old 14th March 2009, 02:08 AM

I have only seen a few minutes of "Family Guy" and found it offensive for a number of reasons. The fact that it has family in the name while being anything but a family oriented show is one of them.
Old 14th March 2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Speaking of TV and movies in general, watching TV and movies is not intrinsically evil, and so the morality depends upon the first and second fonts. If the intention is good, then the morality would depend upon whether the good outweighs the bad in the circumstances. Sometimes one might watch a show with some bad elements and some good elements in the show, if the good that results (entertainment, relaxation, etc.) outweighs the bad that results (being exposed to some immorality). We all live in a sinful world, and we cannot hide ourselves away from the sinfulness of the world. We must have enough faith in Christ to be able to recognize sinful elements in society around us, and still distinguish right from wrong.
Old 14th March 2009, 02:01 PM

For my own perspective, if a show has no redeemening value then I don't watch it. Family Guy falls in that category for me.
Old 14th March 2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Thanks for your comments.

Well, watching Television is not intrinsically evil so here we can apply the 3 fonts of morality.

TV and internet has its pros and cons. I particularly don't have a TV in my bedroom, I took it away. A computer is not recommended to have in one's bedroom or in an isolated place either for the internet also shows nasty things. In regards of Television and the Internet one has to select the programming and the things one has to watch. There are good TV programming as well as good internet sites such as Catholic channels, movies, on the internet we can find the Vatican's and this forum, among other very good sites. A parent control devise is helpful but the solution rest on our own decision to avoid bad programming. I wouldn't discard TV as a whole for it is good for its good Catholic shows, teaching children about or Faith, etc., it is also good for watching the lives of the saints, on DVD, etc.

However, if a person in particular finds it helpful to avoid TV and/or Internet at all for growing in the Faith and for staying in communion with God better, then, by all means, the person should continue to do so.

In my humble opinion...

Agreed!, in fact there is something that guide and protect us to not to sin. To be honest, once I have fallen to that "kind of sin", but not anymore, at first is the feeling of curiosity, what exactly is "that" thing, and because of this curiosity(the same curiosity of Eve when she curious about apple fruit whereas she knew that God forbid it to be eaten, but drove by her curiosity and devil's trick, she fallen to sin and take Adam with her.). But when I do sinful thing there is something in my heart that burn like hell and tell me not to do it, feeling so discomfort because knowing it is false and sin, but at that time my curiosity is bigger than my conscience so, I have once fallen. After that, my feeling is so discomfort, and I do made confession to the priest, repent from what I have done before and never do it anymore. Now when I'm watching that nudity or sex scene in the movie(actually I do not want, but it is like most holywood movie have it), I feel disgusting and not enjoy it, I feel so discomfort when seeing it, and my mind is different from the past, so I think I'm not sin the same sin anymore, even when there is "extreme scene", I will not see them(this is in the case of watching movie). I feel pity why most holywood film have nudity/sex scene. For internet, well once I have fallen before, but like phoenix came alive again from the death, now I know how to tackle with it, and can win my inner battle easily. I have one tip that I'm sure it will work to all of us with faith. Pray.. Pray.. and Pray.., YOU CAN'T DO EVIL/SIN WHEN YOU PRAY SERIOUSLY, The problem is, when you confront your inner battle to sin or not, have you enough will to PRAY? If YOU CAN DO PRAY, I'm sure you will win every inner battle you have with the devil that try to tempt you to sin. I've try this method and sometime I can't pray and still lose, but when I have enough will to PRAY, suddenly after pray, the temptation or will to sin is gone like the wind, and there is a peace like feeling knowing that you had done the right. If you wonder what pray, the most powerfull prayer we had as catholic is the prayer Jesus teach Himself, OurFather, and Hail Mary. Do 3 times Our Father and 7 times Hail Mary, pray slowly, consider each of those prayer words seriously, feel the power of the words, and after you do it, the temptation or will to sin is gone like the wind. YOU HAVE WON YOUR INNER BATTLE THIS TIME, but like we all know, that the devil is not going to give up to tempt us, he will tempt us with many way(tv, internet, etc) until the end of time. Yeah, Pray is the most powerful we had to fight against devil, and surely if you have full faith(100%, it is like when Peter bravely come to Jesus and walk on the water, at first Peter have full faith, but while he walk on the water half way to Jesus, the physical thing wind, sound of thunder, made his faith not 100% anymore so he drown, but Jesus help him.) and pray seriously 100%(don't think anyelse besides the words of the pray), I'm sure you will 100% win your inner battle. And again the problem is can you make it to 100% both your faith and your prayer? What Jesus do when He confront the most heavy inner battle of Him (when he feel very afraid in the Getsemane garden)? He pray so so intensely and so His sweat became like drops of blood, running down to the ground.

What Jesus recommend us to do when tackling/battle with temptation can be seen in Luke 22:39-46
Quote:
[Luke 22:39-46]
{22:39} And departing, he went out, according to his custom, to the Mount of Olives. And his disciples also followed him.
{22:40} And when he had arrived at the place, he said to them: PRAY, lest you enter into temptation.”
{22:41} And he was separated from them by about a stone’s throw. And kneeling down, he prayed,
{22:42} saying: “Father, if you are willing, take this chalice away from me. Yet truly, let not my will, but yours, be done.”
{22:43} Then an Angel appeared to him from heaven, strengthening him. And being in agony, he prayed more intensely;
{22:44} and so his sweat became like drops of blood, running down to the ground.
{22:45} And when he had risen up from prayer and had gone to his disciples, he found them sleeping out of sorrow.
{22:46} And he said to them: “Why are you sleeping? Rise up, PRAY, lest you enter into temptation.”

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 14th March 2009 at 04:33 PM.