CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Biblical Chronology and Church History
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2009, 11:11 AM

Default The Earliest description of a mass outside Scripture

Saint Justin Martyr lived in the second century AD, he is one of the first to describe the liturgy of a typical early christian mass in his work "First Apology" to the roman emperor Antoninus Pius:

"On the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons."

Then a description of the Eucharist follows:

"And this food is called among us Eukaristia [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh."

Justin Martyr, First Apology §LXVII
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 1st February 2009, 12:54 PM

Dear Rob,

Thanks for sharing this document. It is good to read a non-scriptural account of the Eucharistic celebration. It certainly upholds the teachings of the Catholic Church regarding the true presence.

Mary's Child

Quote:
Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:3-5
Old 1st February 2009, 03:20 PM

It just goes to show how timeless Sacred Tradition is, for its truths, in this case regarding the Eucharist, are still fully with us today, and will continue to be until the end of the world.

Shane
Old 12th February 2009, 12:53 AM

I once had a discussion with a Jahova's Witness regarding the Blood of Christ we receive at Mass.
It is my understanding that the wine used must have alcohol in it to be suitable for consecration. Of course, he scoffed at the idea of consuming alcohol.

Is the alcohol requirement true? My understanding is that the consecration must be done as Christ did... with alcoholic wine.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRC View Post
I once had a discussion with a Jahova's Witness regarding the Blood of Christ we receive at Mass.
It is my understanding that the wine used must have alcohol in it to be suitable for consecration. Of course, he scoffed at the idea of consuming alcohol.

Is the alcohol requirement true? My understanding is that the consecration must be done as Christ did... with alcoholic wine.

The bread must be wheat bread containing some gluten.
The wine must be grape wine containing some alcohol.
The amount of gluten or alcohol may be very small.