CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Biblical Chronology and Church History
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 14th October 2010, 12:17 PM
Ron Conte Ron Conte is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLivingBread View Post
Ron,

I don't understand this feast of unleavened bread, how many time do they celebrate it?

Leviticus 23:6 says : “And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread...”

However, Matthew 26:17 says: “Now on the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?”

During Passover, all leaven bread is removed from the household and the only bread eaten is unleaven. So the feast of unleaven bread is another name for Passover. This feast occurs in the spring of each year, after the spring equinox. The preparation day of the feast is Nisan 14 (a Jewish month occurring about March or April). The first day of the feast is Nisan 15. The feast lasts 7 days (8 if we include the preparation day).
__________________
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 7th January 2011, 03:41 PM
Jeanne D'Arc
 
Posts: n/a
Default Extraordinary ministers

Ron, I am not sure about the rules of links so feel free to remove the link below. I have to say that the blog expresses my feelings to a tee. And although I strive not to be "holier than the Church" I wonder if the blogger's opinion is correct?

Can you advise?
Thanks,
Joan

http://www.communion-in-the-hand.org...ministers.html
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 7th January 2011, 06:35 PM
Ron Conte Ron Conte is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne D'Arc View Post
Ron, I am not sure about the rules of links so feel free to remove the link below. I have to say that the blog expresses my feelings to a tee. And although I strive not to be "holier than the Church" I wonder if the blogger's opinion is correct?

Can you advise?
Thanks,
Joan

http://www.communion-in-the-hand.org...ministers.html

No, that blogger's opinion is not correct. The mode of reception of Communion, on the tongue or in the hand, is not a doctrine or dogma, but is a matter of discipline. And the Church does have the authority to decide such questions. She can permit one, or the other, or both, and She can change the discipline from time to time, or from place to place. To say otherwise is to replace the authority of the Church with one's own opinion as to what seems best.

Neither does the length of time that a discipline has been in force give that discipline a status beyond the authority of the Church to change. The disciplines of the OT were established by Divine Revelation from God, and they continued for hundreds of years. Yet they have all been dispensed.

Reception of Communion on the tongue is a type of touching of Communion, just as reception in the hand is a type of touching. It is absurd to claim that we cannot touch with the hand, but we can not only tough with the tongue, but can consume the host entirely. Since we are permitted to consume the host, and to touch it with our tongue, there is no doctrinal reason that would forbid us from touching it with our hands.

There may well be practical reasons to have one rule or another in various circumstances. But the making of these rules does fall under the authority of the Church. The Church has not gone astray from the true Faith by permitting Commuion in the hand. Discipline is not Dogma.
__________________
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 8th January 2011, 07:58 AM
Sacredcello's Avatar
Sacredcello Sacredcello is offline
supporting member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
"Extraordinary ministers" are to be employed only in extraordinary circumstances

I agree that communion can be received either on the tongue or in the hand and that this is a discipline, not a doctrine.

It is problematic, though, to have laypeople distributing communion. Priests and deacons have taken vows of obedience, but laypeople have not. For example: at our wedding Mass, we were asked to choose our own EMHC's. We thought about it carefully, and chose two men whom I know to be devoted to the Church (or so I thought). The one that I knew less well showed up with a button on his jacket that said "No on Hate 8" which was a clear reference to Prop 8 that sought to bar gays from marrying. I didn't spot it until halfway through communion.

There are numerous other examples, where laypeople are not in obedience with the Church, yet are distributing communion. This is very troubling. During Advent last month, I chose not to receive communion one Sunday Mass, rather than having to receive it from my father-in-law who is now married outside the Church and is a regular EMHC (sometimes twice on Sundays). I could have skipped the chalice that Sunday, but it would have been an obvious rejection of him who held the cup. Instead, I chose to employ mental reservation and afterward explained that I had not been to confession, for the reason that I did not go up. There are always venial sins to confess.

It is preferable to receive from the priest. Yet, I understand the necessity of EMHC's.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 8th January 2011, 12:43 PM
Ron Conte Ron Conte is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,739
Default

I agree that it is much to be preferred to receive from an ordained person, rather than any lay person. The problem with lay persons as emHCs is not that they touch the Eucharist, but that they are taking a role that is given to the ordained. Certainly, in cases of necessity, a lay person may distribute Communion. But the extraordinary is becoming ordinary.

I was at a Mass at my parish a few years ago, on Thanksgiving day. There were about 100 persons present. When the people heard that there would be 7 priests concelebrating the Mass, they made a joyful noise. But then, during the Mass, one lay woman did all the readings herself, except the Gospel. And during Communion, numerous emHCs got up to distribute Communion. There were seven priests, so this type of lay participation was entirely unnecessary.
__________________
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 8th January 2011, 12:54 PM
Jeanne D'Arc
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think I should have been more specific in my feelings when I first posted. That was my fault. It is not Communion in the hand or on the tongue. It is like having an old Cecil B.De Mille movie with a cast of thousands when it is time for the EMHC's to approach the altar. I am a Cantor and I get to watch them all struggle to climb over people in the pews. pull down skirts that are too short and wink and wave at friends in the congregation. At a beautiful part of the Mass there is so much unnecessary disturbance that it is becoming almost unbearable. In the summer at daily Mass you can see bermuda shorts and sandals on the EMHC's and the lectors. Just not right.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18th January 2011, 12:24 PM
feyfifer feyfifer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Posts: 319
Default the sabbath

There's a new group of extremely right wing Christians, who believe that the Sabbath is neither on a Sunday, a Saturday or even a Friday. GUess how they calculate when the Sabbath is...??? A different day of the week every week according to the...get this..."Luni " calender! Rather fitting for them huh?

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15th March 2011, 03:30 AM
ljsedivy ljsedivy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marathon, WI
Posts: 128
Default

Lex orandi, Lex credendi


We have learned in LFI the concept of "How we pray is how we believe is how we live".

Our body speaks a language. It is an act of humility (in my opinion) to let the priest (in persona Christe) feed you (like a child).

It honestly breaks my heart to see hundreds of people walk so casually up, put their hand out and "pop it in their mouth" so carelessly and walk away like nothing special just happened. The body DOES speak a language!!!

There is no sense of the sacred in the sanctuary any more. Sometimes I think it would be easier to pray in a bowling alley. Our church is a huge social gathering hall as soon as Father has gone down the aisle at the end of mass.

If how we pray is how we believe, then it certainly goes that no sense of the sacred can account for 70% of Catholics no longer believing in the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

And if how we believe is how we live, then the lost sense of the sacred and the loss of faith in the true presence certainly can account for the lost sense of sin. Clearly, many -- MANY -- people just don't think they do anything bad and don't need confession.

People have no sense of sin any more. If you haven't physically murdered anyone then you should be "good to go" and not even worry about the pains of hell.

Yes, communion in the hand is just one issue and yes it is allowed. And no it is not a doctrine. But quite frankly, it was an experiment gone bad as we can clearly see the fruits today. I was so grateful to see and hear Cardinal Burke say that the Holy Father wants the faithful to reconsider the ancient tradition of receiving communion on the tongue and on the knees.

I am praying for a renewed sacredness to the Holy Mass.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15th March 2011, 10:23 AM
VKallin VKallin is offline
supporting member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Port, Florida
Posts: 614
Default I share your concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsedivy View Post
Lex orandi, Lex credendi


We have learned in LFI the concept of "How we pray is how we believe is how we live".

Our body speaks a language. It is an act of humility (in my opinion) to let the priest (in persona Christe) feed you (like a child).

It honestly breaks my heart to see hundreds of people walk so casually up, put their hand out and "pop it in their mouth" so carelessly and walk away like nothing special just happened. The body DOES speak a language!!!

There is no sense of the sacred in the sanctuary any more. Sometimes I think it would be easier to pray in a bowling alley. Our church is a huge social gathering hall as soon as Father has gone down the aisle at the end of mass.

If how we pray is how we believe, then it certainly goes that no sense of the sacred can account for 70% of Catholics no longer believing in the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

And if how we believe is how we live, then the lost sense of the sacred and the loss of faith in the true presence certainly can account for the lost sense of sin. Clearly, many -- MANY -- people just don't think they do anything bad and don't need confession.

People have no sense of sin any more. If you haven't physically murdered anyone then you should be "good to go" and not even worry about the pains of hell.

Yes, communion in the hand is just one issue and yes it is allowed. And no it is not a doctrine. But quite frankly, it was an experiment gone bad as we can clearly see the fruits today. I was so grateful to see and hear Cardinal Burke say that the Holy Father wants the faithful to reconsider the ancient tradition of receiving communion on the tongue and on the knees.

I am praying for a renewed sacredness to the Holy Mass.

The evidence is everywhere. The only consolation is the fact that this has all been foretold.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15th March 2011, 12:40 PM
ljsedivy ljsedivy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marathon, WI
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKallin View Post
The evidence is everywhere. The only consolation is the fact that this has all been foretold.

That's right....I forgot about that. I remember reading but just don't recall where I read that. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.