CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Biblical Chronology and Church History
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2011, 12:11 PM
Mark

Personally, I have a much bigger problem with all the lay extra-ordinary Eucharistic ministers. In my opinion they are way over utilized. The person distributing communion should be of sound Catholic faith as well. There is no reason, accept speed, that we neeed 12 communion distributors, who as well are often times very casual in what they are doing.
Old 21st March 2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator

I agree. The problems has many components: a shortage of priests, poor knowledge of the faith, lukewarm devotion, and a kind of spiritual communism that seeks to give the non-ordained similar roles to the ordained.
Old 21st March 2011, 02:59 PM

Default This is all becoming absurd

The kind of thinking that pervades the Church right now is absurd. Imagine if, because of a shortage of doctors or pilots we invited regular people to come in and try their hand at medicine or flying a plane. Imagine is we hired regular people to be cops in order to make up for some shortage there or so we could pay them less?

This whole "we are all involved" thinking has become twisted. In the old days, being involved meant participating in mind and spirit in Mass, keeping oneself informed and constantly learning about one's faith, and doing one's best to model Christ's teaching and example. Now, that means taking on this or that job without nearly the training and preparation or even standards that someone in that capacity should have. A few years back I heard a small kid doing a reading and when she messed up the reading, she cursed in front of the whole congregation. What next, bring pets up to the altar on St. Francis' feast day?
Old 21st March 2011, 04:11 PM

I know we have a generation of poorly catechized Catholics which will also trickle on down and have its adverse affects. What most people do not realize (myself having been one of them) is that upon confirmation we have the obligation to continue our studies of the faith until the day we die. So probably 90% or more do not do that. Those of us on fire for the faith have to do our part to make sure that fire spreads.

In addition to the effects of not being catechized is the fact that most women have careers (usually full time) outside of the home. They come home from work and then it's hurry up and get dinner made and clean up and by that time, how much quality time is left to spend with the children? There's very little time left for teaching the things that are important.

It's very sad that we live in such a materialistic world that we feel we need two full time incomes to have this, that and the other, most of which truly are not important in the eternal scheme of things. We need an evaluation of our priorities.
Old 21st March 2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I agree. The problems has many components: a shortage of priests, poor knowledge of the faith, lukewarm devotion, and a kind of spiritual communism that seeks to give the non-ordained similar roles to the ordained.

Yes, Ron. I feel that there has been a lot of "blurring of the lines" between the priest and the lay faithful.
Old 21st March 2011, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Many people spend hours a day being entertained,
and no time at all being taught the Faith.

[Sirach]
{9:4} You should not be continually in need of entertainment, nor should you be persuaded by it, lest perhaps you may perish by its effectiveness.

[Wisdom]
{4:12} For fascination with entertainment obscures good things, and the unfaithfulness of desire subverts the mind without malice.
Old 21st March 2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Many people spend hours a day being entertained,
and no time at all being taught the Faith.

[Sirach]
{9:4} You should not be continually in need of entertainment, nor should you be persuaded by it, lest perhaps you may perish by its effectiveness.

[Wisdom]
{4:12} For fascination with entertainment obscures good things, and the unfaithfulness of desire subverts the mind without malice.

Excellent! Thank you, Ron.
Old 21st March 2011, 05:16 PM
Mark

At times I feel like an island at my local Church with few around who seem to have the burning desire to grow in the true Catholic faith. Not that there are not sincere Catholics, but they are not sincere in knowing and following the true teachings of the faith. Even "good" Catholics I know have no problem accepting the political correctness of our faith (relativism). Little reverence for the Eucharist is most apparent. Lay people enter in and out of our tabernacle throughout the day to take Eucharist to someone. It just seems like a grab box with no formality what so ever.

Don't get me wrong, I know my own weeknesses and that is why I have been spending more time at the Churchand the confessional. I just wish there was more holy people around me, because it would make me holier I believe. I love Father John Hardon's, definition on holiness vs good. He said, Good people do good things, but holy people do the will of God!
Old 22nd March 2011, 04:19 AM

I wish it was all about time, but much of it has to do with simply being taught that faith is like a hat you wear your way. Present Catholics' anthem should be Sinatra's MY WaY