CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Prayer, Self-denial, Works of Mercy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th January 2009, 03:10 PM

Default Plenary Indulgence

This today from The Vatican:

PLENARY INDULGENCE FOR THE WORLD MEETING OF FAMILIES

VATICAN CITY, 10 JAN 2009 (VIS) - According to a decree made public today and signed by Cardinal James Francis Stafford and Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, O.F.M. Conv., respectively penitentiary major and regent of the Apostolic Penitentiary, Benedict XVI will grant Plenary Indulgence to faithful who "participate devotedly" in the Sixth World Meeting of Families, due to be held in Mexico City, Mexico, from 14 to 18 January.

The decree makes it clear that the Plenary Indulgence may be obtained "under the usual conditions: sacramental Confession, Eucharistic communion, prayer in keeping with the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff, and with the soul completely detached from any form of sin".

The Decree continues: "Truly repentant faithful who are unable to participate in this event may nonetheless obtain Plenary Indulgence under the same conditions if, united in spirit and heart with the faithful present in Mexico City, they and their families recite the Our Father and the Creed, or other devout prayers, to invoke the aforementioned aims from Divine Mercy, especially at the moments in which the words and messages of the Pontiff are being transmitted by television and radio".

PENT/DECREE INDULGENCES/... VIS 090112
Old 12th January 2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

obtaining indulgences is a useful preparation for the Warning.
Old 26th January 2009, 02:56 PM
Nandy

Ron, I have often wondered how does one obtain plenary indulgences or any other indulgences?

If one is not able to go to a place where plenary indulgence would be given--does it mean that even if when someone is not able to go to that place and is at home and participates by tv, etc, would be able to obtain it?

Excuse my ignorance in this topic--but this is one subject I have not understood very well.

Thanks.
Old 26th January 2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

If there is a plenary indulgence attached to a place, usually there is an alterative way to obtain the same indulgence (e.g. by visiting a local church).

The usual conditions for obtaining an indulgence:

1. perform the work specific to the indulgence

2. a prayer for the intentions of the Pope

3. recent Communion and Confession

4. being in a state of grace at least by the completion of the indulgence

For plenary indulgences, one must have a detachment from all sin, not to the extent of perfect holiness, but such that there is no sin from which you are not repentant and no sin which you continue to commit fully deliberately. Failing this condition, the plenary indulgence is partial.

Partial indulgences recommend, but do not require recent Communion and Confession; but require at least a general contrition for one's sins.

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/i...conditions.htm
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm
Old 27th January 2009, 03:05 PM
Nandy

Thanks for the info, Ron!
Old 10th April 2009, 10:20 PM

Here is a useful site that lists some prescribed works or occasions throughout the year when a plenary or partial indulgence can be obtained:

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/indulge/plenary.htm
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)