CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th March 2010, 02:03 PM
Administrator

In the West, the usual problem is that the Bishops are too slow to use excommunication, for example, with politicians who promote abortion and yet claim to be faithful practicing Catholics.

I was unaware of the opposite problem in the East. Bishops should not excommunicate someone without examining the case carefully, giving the person a chance to respond, and then only in a grave matter of faith or morals. Bishops who excommunicate too readily, or in a minor matter, are exceeding the authority given to them by the Church, as the text of a number of different decrees of Ecumenical Councils indicates. It is possible that in such cases a sentence of excommunication might be invalid and illicit. The authority of Bishops to excommunicate only applies within certain limits.
Old 24th March 2010, 03:47 PM

Yes, i noticed that the catholic church in the west is a bit lazy when approaching excommunication. For instance, Madonna should have been excommunicated long time ago.

Last edited by zouxi : 24th March 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 25th March 2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

DECREE CONCERNING INDULGENCES.

Whereas the power of conferring Indulgences was granted by Christ to the Church; and she has, even in the most ancient times, used the said power, delivered unto her of God; the sacred holy Synod teaches, and enjoins, that the use of Indulgences, for the Christian people most salutary, and approved of by the authority of sacred Councils, is to be retained in the Church;

[The Church has the authority to apply the merits of Christ and of all the faithful, in the form of indulgences, in order to satisfy the punishment due for a repented and forgiven sin.]

and It condemns with anathema those who either assert, that they are useless; or who deny that there is in the Church the power of granting them.

[Even though the above statement is not a numbered Canon, it is an infallible teaching: indulgences are not useless; the Church has the power to grant indulgences. To deny this teaching is heresy.]

In granting them, however, It desires that, in accordance with the ancient and approved custom in the Church, moderation be observed; lest, by excessive facility [the ease with which an indulgence is gained], ecclesastical discipline be enervated [might lose strength].

And being desirous that the abuses which have crept therein, and by occasion of which this honourable name of Indulgences is blasphemed by heretics, be amended and corrected, It ordains generally by this decree, that all evil gains for the obtaining thereof,--whence a most prolific cause of abuses amongst the Christian people has been derived,--be wholly abolished. But as regards the other abuses which have proceeded from superstition, ignorance, irreverence, or from what soever other source, since, by reason of the manifold corruptions in the places and provinces where the said abuses are committed, they cannot conveniently be specially prohibited;

[The Council openly admits abuses of indulgences in the Church in the past.]

It commands all bishops, diligently to collect, each in his own church, all abuses of this nature, and to report them in the first provincial Synod; that, after having been reviewed by the opinions of the other bishops also, they may forthwith be referred to the Sovereign Roman Pontiff, by whose authority and prudence that which may be expedient for the universal Church will be ordained; that this the gift of holy Indulgences may be dispensed to all the faithful, piously, holily, and incorruptly.

[a provincial Synod is a local Council, similar in authority to present day Bishops' Conferences]
Old 25th March 2010, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Any questions on indulgences?

We have now completed our study of the teachings of the Council of Trent.
Vatican I is next, and then Vatican II.
Old 26th March 2010, 01:41 AM

No questions on the passage exactly, but I'm curious what they did when they found instances of abuse. Were the clerics removed from their parish or given some sort of penance? I don't think I've ever read anything about that.
Old 26th March 2010, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
No questions on the passage exactly, but I'm curious what they did when they found instances of abuse. Were the clerics removed from their parish or given some sort of penance? I don't think I've ever read anything about that.

Indulgences were sometimes sold, which is the sin of simony. Some person were inventing indulgences not granted by Church authority (falsifying indulgences).

There's a section on abuses of indulgences in this article:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm

I don't know what the penalty was for these offenses. Indulgences were perhaps overused in some times in Church history. In more recent years, they have been underused. A revival in the use of indulgences by the faithful is needed.