CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2014, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default A Christian movie?

It seems by the following article that a movie called "The Good Lie" may be labeled as "Christian"; however, the problem is the title itself for there is no such thing as a "good lie", it's like saying "the good sin", and there is no "good sin".

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...an-hope-37046/
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 6th October 2014, 07:17 PM
Administrator

I don't understand why it is called "the Good Lie". But apart from that disconcerting title, the theme seems good: refugees freed from war and violence to find a better life.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I don't understand why it is called "the Good Lie". But apart from that disconcerting title, the theme seems good: refugees freed from war and violence to find a better life.

Well I did not watch this movie...however migrants many times escape their country with the promise of a better live.....but they are promised like heaven on Earth only to find themselves in some ugly detention centre. It is therefore a lie of a wonderful better live....however it still maybe better from the place rhey are escaping from ....perhaps thats what the film director had in mind ?
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 7th October 2014, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Or maybe they had to lie in order to free refugees from war and violence?. I'll have to see the movie since, other than that, yes, it theme seems good.

On a related note, it's interesting to see how the response of good will people to an article called "Why You Must Lie On Job Interviews And What You Must Lie About" is against lying. The fact that the act of lying is wrong is reachable to reason.

Reading the article itself would be a waste of time, but what I like is the majority of the responses:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...must-lie-about

Some of the good responses are this:

Quote:
...So your answer to that is "Lie"?!? Why would someone want to work for a company they had to lie to get into? How can that be effective for either the individual or the organization? What value at all could that bring to the job seeker?

Quote:
Ditto to 90% of the comments already left behind. The only thing I can add is one simple question....with you advising people to lie (call it "dance around it"), how can I believe anything that you say?

Quote:
Lying at interview is illegal in New Zealand and several people in high ranking positions have been jailed for lying about credentials at interview.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 7th October 2014, 06:29 PM
supporting member

Default What is a good lie

I have seen the movie and it a heart warming story of refugee children who were orphaned during the war in The Sudan. They walked almost 1000 miles until they found a Christian orphanage in Kenya. Along the way the oldest child was captured as he allowed the other children to escape. The other children were eventually resettled in the US. The oldest male among the children eventually returned to Kenya to search for his older brother and did succeed in finding him. However, since this was post 9/11, he was unable to get papers to bring him to the States. Since they had a family resembelence, he gave his papers to his older brother which allowed him to make it to America and rejoin his brothers and a sister. The children, who were all Christian, knew that this deception was a lie, but they were at peace with this being a good lie. I would recommend the movie. The beginning is a little violent but the dramatic exposure to American life was was quite funny. The movie ends on a very happy note.