CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th April 2007, 04:23 PM
untamed_angel

When Jesus washed the feet of the disciples it was a literal act. It was common practice in the Jewish faith to wash hands and feet before prayer and eating. To wash away the dirt, sand from their feet because they wore sandals

The last supper was "The first mass". Jesus went further though and washed the feet of his disciples to show us how he wants us to love one another as he commanded us to love. Also possibly a form of cleansing to wash away all impurities as the Priest does in the mass today.

God bless one and all

Last edited by untamed_angel : 11th April 2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11th April 2007, 04:36 PM
Mario

Default I find this difficult.

Hello everyone!

I think how you all glean these insights from scripture is wonderful. Due to my background, I find myself resistant to this exercise.

In paragraph 117 of the CCC, the spiritual sense of Scripture is broken down into three parts:

allegorical
moral
anagogical

Ron's suggestion focuses on the 1st and 3rd parts while I have almost exclusively utilized the 2nd part in my Scripture meditations. In other words, I ask the question: "Lord, how does this passage speak to me personally, and how do you desire me to apply it to my life, today?"

When I consider utilizing the 1st and 3rd parts I feel like a fish out of water or a child about to climb onto a bike for the first time. Let me catch my breath before taking the plunge!
Old 11th April 2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Several of you have misunderstood what I am saying.

This is the approach of St. Thomas Aquinas to the interpretation of Scripture.
Other approaches are possible and viable.

The term 'spiritual level of meaning' does not refer to any spiritual meaning in Scripture.

Again:

1. words referring to things - literal or figurative level
2. things referring to other things - spiritual level

Several of you cite spiritual meanings found at the literal or figurative level. This is a different use of the word 'spiritual'.

John being baptised by the Holy Spirit in the womb is at the literal level,
because this is what the words describe.
John's baptism in the womb refering to Jesus' baptism by John is at the spiritual level,
because the one event signifies the other event.

Concerning these types of interpretation:
allegorical
moral
anagogical (allusions to heaven or unseen spiritual things)

These may be found at either level, so it is a different way of categorizing interpretations. For now, let's look at Aquinas' approach.
Old 11th April 2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
{4:1} Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert, in order to be tempted by the devil.
{4:2} And when he had fasted for forty days and forty nights, afterwards he was hungry.
etc (too long to post...) (Matthew 4:1-4:12)

Literal: After Jesus was baptized by St. John The Baptist, he went into the desert to be tempted. Here, the literal meaning is that he taught us how to overcome temptation, by fasting. Significantly, all who are baptized must follow Christ, and in fasting he shows us how.

Spiritually: Jesus symbolically corrected the fall from grace by Adam. This was done symbolically the same way, by temptation of food. Instead of an apple, it was bread. Again, because it was done after he was baptized, this story symbolically represents salvific grace to those who are baptized, and follow Him.

At least, this is what I think.

-jay
Old 12th April 2007, 12:50 AM
VeiledProphetess

In the Noah's ark story, could the dove that flew above the waters symbolize the Holy Spirit guiding the Church?
Old 12th April 2007, 01:36 AM
supporting member

Matthew (the garden at Gethsemane)

26:40 When he returned to his disciples he found them asleep...
26:41 Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is
willing, but the flesh is weak.
26:43 Then he returned once more and found them asleep, for they could not
keep their eyes open.
26:45 Then he returned to his disciples and said to them, "Are you still
sleeping and taking your rest?

spiritual- Church leadership is asleep as the Church- the body of Christ trembles from the silence of the bishops on certain judgements/decisions before the tribulations (lesser and greater). The test could refer to the tribulations?
Old 12th April 2007, 01:44 AM
logue

Default 40 years in the desert

In Exodus and Deuteronomy the Jews spend forty years wandering the desert. This actually happened. It foreshadows Jesus' forty days in the desert fasting and enduring temptation.

I may be wrong, but I'm not far from it.
Old 12th April 2007, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiledProphetess View Post
In the Noah's ark story, could the dove that flew above the waters symbolize the Holy Spirit guiding the Church?

literal: words referring to dove and Noah's ark

spiritual level: dove and ark referring to the Spirit and the Church.

yes, that's a good example.
Old 12th April 2007, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Matthew (the garden at Gethsemane)

26:40 When he returned to his disciples he found them asleep...
26:41 Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is
willing, but the flesh is weak.
26:43 Then he returned once more and found them asleep, for they could not
keep their eyes open.
26:45 Then he returned to his disciples and said to them, "Are you still
sleeping and taking your rest?

spiritual- Church leadership is asleep as the Church- the body of Christ trembles from the silence of the bishops on certain judgements/decisions before the tribulations (lesser and greater). The test could refer to the tribulations?

literal: word signify the Apostles asleep as the time of Christ's suffering approaches

spiritual: Apostles signify Church leaders, sleeping signifies inattentiveness to the needs of the Church, the time of Christ's suffering signifies the approaching suffering (in the tribulation) for the Church.

yes, that is a good example
Old 12th April 2007, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by logue View Post
In Exodus and Deuteronomy the Jews spend forty years wandering the desert. This actually happened. It foreshadows Jesus' forty days in the desert fasting and enduring temptation.

I may be wrong, but I'm not far from it.

No, you are correct:

literal: words signify events of forty years in the desert to prepare for the promised land

spiritual: events of the forty years signify Christ's forty days in the desert preparing to enter into the promised land of his ministry

Also a good example