CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th April 2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Default Authorship of the Bible

TS 2: Authorship of the Bible

This topic is controversial and there are few definitive things which can be said. So my main point is to caution you all about theories of authorship which are very unlikely or are contrary to Catholic teaching on the inspiration of the Bible.

Some scholars claim that the Gospels were written very late, and that their authorship is in no sense Apostolic. They represent the Gospels as the product of the ideas of the Christians of that time period (rather than as the inspired word of God). An example of their approach is seen in the claim that the Gospel of Matthew must have been written after the destruction of the Temple because the first passage in Matthew 24 predicts the destruction of the Temple. This implies that Jesus could not have known the future, and that the prediction was written after the event. Many scholars also consider the words of Jesus in the Gospels to be merely words attributed to him by the authors.

I could go on at great length about this set of errors, but I will spare you all from that diatribe. Suffice it to say that some footnotes and commentary on the Bible treats the book as if it were a merely human book, not historically reliable, not written by any of the traditional authors of the books.

In my view (theological opinion):

Matthew was written by Matthew the Apostle, though perhaps some other persons contributed, all under the inspriation of the Spirit.

Mark was written by Mark, the John Mark of Acts, a disciple of Peter, just as Saint Jerome and Bishop Eusebius tell us.

Luke and Acts was written by Saint Luke, a physician and a close associate of Saint Paul.

John's Gospel and Revelation were written by the Apostle John, brother of James, sons of Zebedee, but were completed by John's disciples after his death.

Paul's letters were written by Paul and others (as mentioned in each letter). Likewise, Peter's letters were written by Peter; Jude's letter by Jude the Apostle (the other Judas), and so on.

The authorship of Hebrews is an open question, since even the Fathers of the Church do not agree. Some say that it was written by Paul; others by a disciple of Paul. My opinion is the latter, since the writing style is very different that Paul's other letters (this is very apparent when translating the letters).

The authorship of the Letters of John is also an open question; the Fathers of the Church did not agree. Some say they were written by John the Apostle and Gospel writer; others say by a different John, an Elder. My opinion is the latter.

Concerning language of authorship:

OT was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic.

NT was written mostly in Greek.

Controversially, I think that Matthew was written in Hebriew (some scholars think Aramaic), Mark was written in Latin, Luke in Greek, and John in Aramaic. I also think that the letter to the Hebrews was written in Hebrew and the letter to the Romans was written in Latin.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:54 AM
VeiledProphetess

Yes, I've seen a lot of the type of commentary you criticize.

Could you give the reasons for your opinion on the original languages of those New Testament books, or is that outside the scope of this series?
Old 12th April 2007, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiledProphetess View Post
Yes, I've seen a lot of the type of commentary you criticize.

Could you give the reasons for your opinion on the original languages of those New Testament books, or is that outside the scope of this series?

See my set of articles on the Writing of the New Testament.

http://www.catholicplanet.com/TSM/index.htm

It's too long and complex and speculative to go into here.
Old 12th April 2007, 02:11 PM
Love The Fisherman

Default The Bible Plus

Hi Ron,
I Believe That The Bible Is Of Course The Word Of God But What About All The Introductions And Footnotes? They Are A Great Help To Me But What Exactly Is Their Status? How Can I Understand The Bible Without The Commentaries? Are They Infallable Also?
Old 12th April 2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love The Fisherman View Post
Hi Ron,
I Believe That The Bible Is Of Course The Word Of God But What About All The Introductions And Footnotes? They Are A Great Help To Me But What Exactly Is Their Status? How Can I Understand The Bible Without The Commentaries? Are They Infallable Also?

Introductions, Appendices, footnotes, and commentary to the Bible are
entirely fallible and often contain error. They are nonetheless helpful.

In Catholicism, there is the infallible, the non-infallible, and the fallible
and all three are useful and even essential.
Old 13th April 2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

The authorship of Hebrews is an open question, since even the Fathers of the Church do not agree. Some say that it was written by Paul; others by a disciple of Paul. My opinion is the latter, since the writing style is very different that Paul's other letters (this is very apparent when translating the letters).

That is an understandable opinion. We know that Paul was given teaching authority over Gentiles and not Jews, so it would be very unlikely for him to write to the Jews.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 14th April 2007, 02:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Therese
Smile Authorship of Bible

Thanks Ron, Like some of the other members I have read similar commentaries on the authorship of the bible
Old 14th April 2007, 03:35 PM
supporting member

Rob states that Paul was given teaching authority over the gentiles not the jews. I think this is accurate.

I was in Rome a few months ago and the Basilica of St. Paul is the only one of the major churches (St. Peters, Mary Major and St. John the Lateran) to be located outside the old city wall. As if it is a call to non-catholics to approach Rome's outskirts before venturing into the "fullness" of the city.

Also, when I read scripture it is as though Paul speaks loudest to non-catholics.

This is all in keeping with the new chosen ones- the Catholic Church. Catholics in the NT are synonymous with the Jews in the OT and the gentiles in the OT are consistent with non-catholics in the NT.
Old 15th April 2007, 05:45 AM
MARIAN

Ron,
I dropped out of a theology class because of the the views on the Gospels expressed by the Theologian giving some of the lectures. He disputed almost every fact presented in the Gospel and finally said that the words of Jesus were basically made up by his followers some 30 years later and attributed to him to make him fit the picture of the expected messiah. This college trains teachers in R.E. What can you say, no wonder we are in such bad shape.
Mary
Old 15th April 2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIAN View Post
Ron,
I dropped out of a theology class because of the the views on the Gospels expressed by the Theologian giving some of the lectures. He disputed almost every fact presented in the Gospel and finally said that the words of Jesus were basically made up by his followers some 30 years later and attributed to him to make him fit the picture of the expected messiah. This college trains teachers in R.E. What can you say, no wonder we are in such bad shape.
Mary

The ideas that that theologian taught are widespread among scholars today. It is no exaggeration to say that persons who believe such things have fallen into a severe heresy. You did well to leave that class.