CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th July 2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

In the following passages, it seems as if St. Paul if not sure if one of his friends, Onesiphorus who passed away, is already in Heaven, so he intercedes for him, prays for him:

[1 Timothy]
{1:16} May the Lord have mercy on the house of Onesiphorus, because he has often refreshed me, and he has not been ashamed of my chains.
{1:17} Instead, when he had arrived in Rome, he anxiously sought me and found me.
{1:18} May the Lord grant to him to obtain mercy from the Lord in that day. And you know well in how many ways he has ministered to me at Ephesus.

In many cases, when a person is sure that someone is a Saint and has passed, or when some one dies in odor of sanctity, people asks the recently deceased person to pray for them, not the other way around. For example, when St. Francis of Assisi has just died, many were already asking for his intercession from Heaven, and miracles where granted. Similar cases, when St. Catherine Labouré died, or St. Rose of Lima, etc.

Going back to Scripture, if St. Paul is asking the Lord to have mercy on Onesiphorus, it may very well imply that he wasn't sure that his friend has gone directly to Heaven, but perhaps by way of Purgatory - according to the Lord's judgment.

Even if Onesiphorus did - in fact - go directly to Heaven, St. Paul's prayer is still pious becasue even though his friend was a good man, he is concerned with the fate of his friend's soul.

St. Paul would not have prayed for him if he considered that the deceased might have gone to Hell.

Last edited by Brother : 12th July 2012 at 05:13 PM.