CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th July 2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
This is based on the theology of creationism? As I understand this, this doctrine has not been defined; however, 5th General Lateran Council indirecly expressed it.

Cecil

It is a long-standing doctrine of the Church that the soul is created directly by God out of nothing. I don't think it has been solemnly defined.

I don't know what you mean about creationism.
Old 30th July 2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
Ron, I have heard the Holy Trinity described as analogous to the solid-liquid-gas forms of water. All three are water, but in different form. Does this analogy work with the Trinity, or is it somehow inaccurate?

In my opinion, that is a very poor analogy.

The Three Persons of the Trinity share one and the same Divine Nature.
God is One Divine Eternal Act:
the act of being everything that God is
and of doing everything that God does
including the procession of the Son from the Father
and the procession of the Spirit primarily from the Father and secondarily from the Son

So the Divine Personhood of the Three Persons is not at all separate from the One Divine Nature
Old 30th July 2007, 08:39 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
It is a long-standing doctrine of the Church that the soul is created directly by God out of nothing. I don't think it has been solemnly defined.

I don't know what you mean about creationism.

It is one of the four theological opinions of the origin of the human individual souls:

Pre-existentianism
Emanationism
Generationism
Creationism (Sent. certa) holds that each souls is created by God out of nothing at the moment of its unification with the body.

As for a prior post concerning an EWTN show last night, it did not imply that one receives the actual Body of Christ in Holy Communion. It concerned the relationship of the Blessed Mother, Christ Blood (DNA/Mary's Blood), the Father and the Holy Spirit (our Mother conceived our Christ).

Cecil
Old 30th July 2007, 09:53 PM

I have always believed that God in its divine nature is made out of infinite light. Is this idea true?
Old 30th July 2007, 09:59 PM

Is God metaphysical? (meaning inmaterial)
Old 30th July 2007, 10:15 PM
Administrator

God is not made out of light, nor out of energy, nor even out of the kind of spiritual substance that a soul or an angel is made of.

God is One Divine Eternal Act.

God is not matter, but He is also not spirit.
God is unique.

Nothing else which exists is made out of what God is.

God is One Divine Eternal Act.
Old 30th July 2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

From the Catholic Encyclopedia:
Quote:
The doctrine of the Catholic Church is contained in the definition of the dogma of the creatio ex nihilo by the Fourth Lateran Council and, especially, the Council of the Vatican. The latter expressly condemns emanationism (I. De Deo rerum omnium creatore, can. iv), and anathematizes those "asserting that finite things, both corporeal and spiritual, or at least spiritual, have "emanated from the Divine substance.

I did not realize until now that this was dogma; I had thought it was merely doctrine.

Pre-existentianism - the idea that the soul itself exists prior to conception is false and heretical.

Emanationism - the idea that the soul is created out of pre-existing substance, particularly out of God himself, is also false and heretical.

Generationism - the idea that the soul is created out of the souls of the parents, is false and heretical.

Creationism - the idea that each soul is created by God out of nothing; this is the teaching of the Church.

Furthermore:
The creation of the soul, the creation of the body (i.e. of its beginning at conception), and the unification of body and soul are simultaneous. The soul does not exist prior to being united to the body, nor does the body exist prior to being united to the soul.

I'm not sure what that show on EWTN was saying about Mary and the Eucharist. But I will say this:

All the graces that we receive in the Eucharist are received with Mary as Mediatrix. However, Mary is not present in body or blood, nor is the body and blood of Christ identical to that of Mary.
Old 30th July 2007, 10:44 PM
CRW

I was reading that St. Augustine supported generationism and was condemned by Pope Benedict XII. I did not know that creationism was dogma but the doctrine of the Church teachings.

Thanks,

Cecil

Last edited by CRW : 31st July 2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Augustine lived so long ago, that he may have held some views which the Church later decided were incorrect.
Old 31st July 2007, 03:38 AM
themilitantcatholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
I was reading that St. Augustine supported generationosmCecil

What's generationosm?