CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Prayer, Self-denial, Works of Mercy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th September 2007, 04:12 AM
CRW

Default Fasting

Fasting

Our Blessed Mother, in her monthly messages at Medjugorje, always calls for prayer and fasting. The USCCB has deleted the mandatory fasting of meat on Fridays in the US, with the exception of Ash Wednesday and all Fridays of lent and Good Friday.

As a Catholic Forum, how many would be interested to voluntary fast from all meats on all Fridays? I for one would sing up, no I will do it regardless, and offer this up to our Blessed Mother for conversion of sinners.

Cecil
Old 27th September 2007, 09:34 AM

I've always kept that practice every friday and will continue to do it.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 27th September 2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I've always kept that practice every friday and will continue to do it.

If Christmas Day fell on a Friday, your birthday or perhaps on 'Thanksgiving Day' would you still insist on doing it?
Old 27th September 2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bellett View Post
If Christmas Day fell on a Friday, your birthday or perhaps on 'Thanksgiving Day' would you still insist on doing it?

There are exceptions of course. I meant to imply that I usually follow this rule, but there have been instances when I could not have avoided meat on friday.
We don't have a "thanksgiving day" in Italy anyway
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 27th September 2007, 12:57 PM

I am currently trying to do this on Friday as well as Wednesday, so yes, sign me up!

One of our priests in his homily a few months ago said that it is still a requirement to give some kind of alms/fast, etc.. on Friday. If giving up meat is not possible, something else should be done. I wasn't aware that this is still in practice but decided that I will give up meat every Friday as was done in the past.
Old 27th September 2007, 08:19 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bellett View Post

Paul,

As is the Tradition of the Church, feast days are exempt from fasting. As far as my own birthday, no problem. We (my wife and I) have fasted from meat for a while but I never committed to it but I will.

Cecil
Old 27th September 2007, 08:21 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet basil View Post
I am currently trying to do this on Friday as well as Wednesday, so yes, sign me up!

One of our priests in his homily a few months ago said that it is still a requirement to give some kind of alms/fast, etc.. on Friday. If giving up meat is not possible, something else should be done. I wasn't aware that this is still in practice but decided that I will give up meat every Friday as was done in the past.

In the US, the USCCB let the individual decide. It does not have to be a fast, a good deed, an hour of adoration - really no limits.

Cecil
Old 27th September 2007, 08:56 PM

If we're making a list, please add me.

Joey
Old 27th September 2007, 09:20 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
If we're making a list, please add me.

I don't feel there is a need of a list - just the heart.

Cecil
Old 28th September 2007, 11:50 AM

Well, you can count me in as well. I have always been a bit confused by the concept of changing the fasting requirements. Why should Catholics in the U.S. not fast from meat on friday, when Catholics in the rest of the world do?

-jay