CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th April 2007, 12:29 PM

"be free from any attachments to sin"........

As I receive Our Lord Jesus in Holy Communiuon today, I can't help but wonder if the above requirement for Divine Mercy is even possible! Can someone offer me an explanation?

Joey
Old 15th April 2007, 12:57 PM

Default beautiful image

A Divine Mercy image I have never seen before......

Joey

Last edited by Joey : 27th July 2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 15th April 2007, 01:36 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
"be free from any attachments to sin"........

As I receive Our Lord Jesus in Holy Communiuon today, I can't help but wonder if the above requirement for Divine Mercy is even possible! Can someone offer me an explanation?

Allow me to offer this explanation: To gain a plenary indulgence completely, it is necessary that we be completely detached from all deliberate sin. This means that we have true sorrow for all venial sins as well as mortal, and that we be resolved to avoid all deliberate venial sins, as well as mortal, in the future.

See Indulgentiarum Doctrina for more information concerning indulgences and Church authority:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pa...ctrina_en.html

Cecil
Old 15th April 2007, 02:45 PM
Hope

I've said the chaplet every day since Good Friday, but last night, after I a few minutes into the prayer, I fell asleep.

Didn't realize until this morning that I didn't say it, so it's not like I can reverse time on make-up for my negligence. Does this mean that a lose the effect of Divine Mercy Sunday? I'm still planning on going to the Divine Mercy Mass and confession this afternoon, but since I missed a day, will I lose the graces and full effects of the novena?
Old 15th April 2007, 02:59 PM
CRW

Hope,

IMHP, the novena is optional; however, God is mercy - say the missing Chaplet today. My understanding is that a Holy Confession, reception of the Blessed Sacrament, free from attachment of sin is all that is required. Tradition also alls for prayers for the special intentions of our Pope. Normally this would only require one Lord's Pray and Hail Mary, but say as many as you like and any special prayers you may desire to offer.

His blessing on this Feast of Divine Mercy Sunday,

Cecil

Last edited by CRW : 15th April 2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 15th April 2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

There seems to be some confusion between plenary indulgences and the Feast of Divine Mercy.

The promise of Jesus to St. Faustina was that those who worthily receive the Sacraments of Confession and Communion on Divine Mercy Sunday would be forgiven for all their sins and the temporal punishment due for those sins. This is not, in and of itself a plenary indulgence. It is comparable to a plenary indulgence, but the conditions are different. It is not necessary to meet any of the conditions for a plenary indulgence in order to receive this gift. All that is necessary is a worthy confession (sincere repentance from sin) and a worthy communion (received with faith and devotion).

Separately, as Cecil has pointed out to me, their is a plenary indulgence that the Holy See has approved in association with Divine Mercy Sunday:
See this document

In my theological opinion, this indulgence is separate from what Jesus promised to St. Faustina for Divine Mercy Sunday. The conditions for a plenary indulgence apply to the specific indulgence, but do not affect the promise of Jesus to those who confess and receive communion for Divine Mercy Sunday.

Ron

Last edited by Ron Conte : 15th April 2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: amended
Old 15th April 2007, 04:51 PM
Padraig

Ah well just back from Divine Mercy Sunday in the Cathedral, packed to the rafters with busloads coming in from the country. Huge queques for confession with me very happy as I went to confession yesterday. Great piety and devotion, the best i have been at. Two flies in the ointment. They have renvovated the Cathedral and put the Blessed Sacrament in a little side altar. its a wonder the didn't put it in a broom cupboard, many of them would if they could get away with it! Second the sermon was awful, it had nothing in the slightest to do with Divine Mercy, he just spent twenty minutes talking about some drunk young people who had been drinking near the Cathedral during the week. A waste of time as the drunks wouldn't have been caught dead at the mass anyway, but it gave him a dreadful chance to let of steam I suppose.

But I heard a good story there about a nun who acts as Chaplain up at our local cancer hospital and has a great devotion to Divine Mercy. She said a young fellow aged twenty seven had had cancer for five years and his mother, who had a great devotion to Si Fuistina used to pray the chaplet with the son in the ward.

The son, just before he died pointed at a spot in the wall 9were there is no door0 said a sister had come through with a strange headdress he had never seen before and stood praying and looking at him before leaving. He said the nun looked very like the picture of the nun whose picture hung on his mothers bedroom (St Faustina}. Also the priests said we'd eight days to get to confession.

This is your roving reporter signing off.

Old 15th April 2007, 06:33 PM

I was told by the lady who informed me of Divine Mercy Sunday that confession should be within the octave of DMS, eight days prior or eight days after.
Old 15th April 2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIDUMATTW View Post
I was told by the lady who informed me of Divine Mercy Sunday that confession should be within the octave of DMS, eight days prior or eight days after.

Why believe her?

There is nothing in the writings of St. Faustina that says how long before or after Divine Mercy Sunday one should receive confession. And in declaring the feast of DMS, the Magisterium did not decide the question.

So she was stating an opinion as if it were a definitive rule.
Old 20th April 2007, 05:38 PM

I was able to make the Divine Mercy Devotion in my church this year. I was overjoyed with it all. I believe this is the first time my church has done a full devotion and it was well attended. I was unsure about going to confession since I had been there 3 weeks prior but decided to go anyway to ensure the full benefits of the devotion. Now I feel a yearning to go much more often to confession, I'm becoming more aware of my sins, even the seemingly insignificant ones. I hope this prepares me for the Warning. One thing our deacon mentioned too was that now that we know about the Divine Mercy it is our duty to tell others about.