CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th April 2007, 07:41 PM
CRW

sweet basil

I would say that for the individual spiritual soul, this feast rates among the highest in the liturgical year. Christ offer His Divine Mercy as a gift, it is our choice to receive, and yes your Deacon is a very wise man, spreading the word.

Christ commanded: "Write down these words, my daughter: All those souls who will glorify my mercy and spread its worship, encouraging others to trust in my mercy, will not experience terror at the hour of death. My mercy will shield them in that last battle.” (Sr. Faustina's Diary, Paragraph 1540)

Cecil
Old 20th April 2007, 08:12 PM
CRW

Default ZENIT - Divine Mercy Sunday

I just received an outstanding review of Divine Mercy Sunday.

I suggest all interested see: http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur170.htm

His Mercy Always,

Cecil
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:20 PM

Cecil,

I agree that this is specifically for the individaul soul to strenghten us in so many ways. I have read the diary and say the chaplet every day (almost) since I was made aware of it on Divine Mercy Sunday, 2004.
This same deacon who did the devotion has a prison ministry and has found that the Divine Mercy prayers have had the greatest affect on the prisoners. I am not surprised. To say the chaplet once gives great graces especially at the hour of death.
To those that are open to it, I encourage saying the novena and give them a DM pamphlet.
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:24 PM
untamed_angel

Re post 18 and your reply Ron. My friend was on retreat the Divine Mercy weekend. Confession was so busy that not everyone managed to go and she was told she had 8 days grace after Divine Mercy Sunday to go. She went as soon as she returned from the weekend. I hadnt heard of this before but I trust my friend and the Priest who was doing the Divine Mercy retreat.

God bless
Untamed
Old 23rd April 2007, 11:01 PM

Untamed Angel,

Yes that is true. That is why I sort of hesitated in going to confession since I had been there 3 weeks prior. At the devotion we were told if you had been to confession the prior week or get there within the week, that it counts. Also look at one of the DM websites, it should have the details of all the requirements and benefits.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:48 PM
untamed_angel

I recieved a Plenary indulgence from a priest after he heard my confession. I didnt ask for it. It just happened. I dont mean to hi jack the thread but I just wondered if that meant that the slate had been wiped clean up to that point in my life. It only happened a few months ago and ive never had one before or since.

God bless
Untamed
Old 22nd March 2008, 04:09 PM
supporting member

Default A Question on Divinr Mercy

We have learned that everything necessary for salvation was revealed during the Public Ministry of Christ. These things were recorded by the apostles and disciples within the first 100 years or so after Christ ascended to his Father. Private Revealations may supplement the faith but are not required beliefs. Divine Mercy was given to us by Christ himself through a private Revealation to Saint Faustina. I believe that this devotion was given by Christ because because the massive sins of the world required oceans of mercy, and mankind needed to understand and believe in this mercy.

Is Divine Mercy part of our Deposit of Faith? It seems important enough that it sould be.
Old 22nd March 2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Divine Mercy is not new. The idea that God is Merciful is found in Tradition and Scripture.

The particular prayers, devotions, and celebrations associated with the private revelations to St. Faustina are not essential to the Faith. The truths to which they refer are not new. Only the particulars of the forms of prayers and devotions are new. If there were no Divine Mercy private revelation, we would still have various prayers and devotions and celebrations related to that same truth. Only the particular expression is affected by the private revelation, not the underlying truths.

Forgiveness for all sin and all temporal punishment is not new. A sincere repentant reception of Confession will forgive all sins. One can obtain complete remission from temporal punishment through a plenary indulgence, or even through a continual practice of prayer, self-denial, and works of mercy without an indulgence. So there is nothing essentially new to Divine Mercy Sunday, except the particular expression of truths always found in Divine Revelation.
Old 22nd March 2008, 10:16 PM

and speaking of Divine Mercy, the novena began yesterday....here is a link to it:

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/novena.htm

Joey
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:46 PM
supporting member

Default Thanks for a very insightful answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Divine Mercy is not new. The idea that God is Merciful is found in Tradition and Scripture.

The particular prayers, devotions, and celebrations associated with the private revelations to St. Faustina are not essential to the Faith. The truths to which they refer are not new. Only the particulars of the forms of prayers and devotions are new. If there were no Divine Mercy private revelation, we would still have various prayers and devotions and celebrations related to that same truth. Only the particular expression is affected by the private revelation, not the underlying truths.

Forgiveness for all sin and all temporal punishment is not new. A sincere repentant reception of Confession will forgive all sins. One can obtain complete remission from temporal punishment through a plenary indulgence, or even through a continual practice of prayer, self-denial, and works of mercy without an indulgence. So there is nothing essentially new to Divine Mercy Sunday, except the particular expression of truths always found in Divine Revelation.

Reflecting on your response, I think this same logic applies in all of the private revelations that I follow. The underlying concepts of the faith are never new, but sometimes the circumstances of our day require a restatement in different words, or a current-day example to to re-emphasize the basic truths which have been with us since the beginnigs of Christianity. I should have been able to figure that out.....but I was looking at Divine Mercy as something new delivered thru Saint Faustine. Thanks for the clarification.