CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th August 2007, 12:10 PM
Love The Fisherman

OK Ron. Got It. Thanks.
Old 15th May 2008, 07:18 PM

Regarding food storage, my family has been storing food long-term as far back as I can remember. Being Italian, we preserve hundreds of quarts of tomato puree each summer. Without any preservatives, they keep for over a year. I once found a few jars that had been in the cellar for 3 years and were still perfectly fine. We have also stored a variety of cooked foods using the same sterilization process and have had great success. I have successfully preserved all kinds of vegetable (some from our small garden): string beans, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, onions. The trick is to use glass, sterilize sufficiently and be sure to create a perfect seal. Cured meats such as dried sausage placed in glass jars and sealed will keep for months. I canít stress enough the value of glass jars. Glass does not react with the salts and acids in foods. Rodents canít chew through it. A good seal eliminates odors. We have ant and rodent issues in my area, so I transfer beans, rice and other dried foods from their original packaging into glass jars. Problem solved.

Peace.
Old 15th May 2008, 08:19 PM

Bible Apprentice,

I would love to learn how to do these food jars and ways of sealing them. I have thought about buying the empty ones, but how do I start?

Thanks and God bless,

MA
Old 15th May 2008, 08:35 PM

In the days before electric refrigeration, it was very common to store meat at the coolest side of the house, with it preserved in salt.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:40 AM

Default Good tips

Thanks for the good tips and websites, everyone. I don't know any Portuguese websites concerning this issue, but I'll try to be up-to-date on this.

I wonder... It isn't surely by chance that the easiest food to store is the one on the base of the food pyramid, which is the one we should eat more often.

Homo Viator