CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th September 2008, 10:44 PM
DiAZ216

Quote:
I have to conclude that some information from some visionaries is incorrect or has been widely misinterpreted. This is obvious in the case of the two contradictory statements, both attributed to Conchita's private revelation, that the date would not coincide with a feast day of the Virgin Mary, but that it would be a particular Saint whose feast day is the same as the feast day of the Virgin Mary. Clearly, these statements are either a misunderstanding of what Conchita was told in true private revelations, or are misreported.

Good point; I had forgotten about this other statement by Conchita. Ron, your response makes a lot of sense. As for me, I will continue to try to live every day focused on my personal walk of conversion and working to fulfill my mission in this life.
Old 5th October 2008, 07:32 AM
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAZ216 View Post
I’ve shared this story for anyone out there who has been following all this and reading Ron’s predictions. Perhaps there are people of little or no faith, or who have a poorly formed faith, and if Ron’s predictions don’t happen, this might cause them to reject God’s existence as Mort did back in 2000. If you are out there reading this now, I say to you, DO NOT LET YOUR BELIEF IN GOD BE BASED ON RON’S PREDICTIONS. I believe Ron will tell you the same thing.

My first statement will be an utter admission that my faith is paltry and ill-formed. I've been a Christian for ~4 years and a Catholic for less than 1, and until very recently I've always struggled immensely with God's existence, or at least His love for me, now I'm more stable about God, but struggle a great deal with belief in some teachings of the Church.

Marian apparitions were a big part of what allowed me to get over my objection to Marian doctrine, in particular Fatima. The idea of the Warning/Miracle happening soon gave me cause to really struggle towards growth in my faith, for a time at least.... now I find myself in an unfortunate place of waiting, thinking that once it happens then I will devote myself to prayer, then I will know the Rosary is an amazing prayer and not a horrific act of absurd idolatry.

I have to admit shamefully, that I am afraid for my Catholic faith not just if Ron's specific date passes, but more if Benedict dies before the Warning occurs, because somehow I came to think that was a hard-fast criterion that it occur during the lifetime of the current Pope. I have some "friends" who deride my Catholicism frequently, who are powerful influences in my life, generally in negative directions, who have already stated how much grief they're going to give me when that date passes without any event, and no amount of explaining Ron's fallibility dissuades them.

I don't know what I would do if I left the Catholic Church, I think I would easily give up on God entirely, because I find so little clarity in the other church groups I've been a part of, and because I have such a problem with the idea that God would utterly abandon His people for 1500 years, and because I believe the early Church believed in the Real Presence, and no one believes in it the way the Catholic Church does. I suspect I would become a hypocrite, and a cafeteria Catholic, and obey myself rather than the Pope, but I don't really enjoy Mass as hymns are boring and pews are uncomfortable, so I probably wouldn't actually go.... anyway.

I spent many hours in the last week reading anti-apologetics on Fatima, the Miracle of Lanciano, The Protoevangelium of James, and the Divine Names by "Dionysius the Aeropagite"..... my faith took quite a beating, so I'm perhaps at the lowest point I've been since converting to Catholicism. I had a long talk with God before Mass that I was willing to be led by His Truth wherever he wanted to lead me, even if it hurt, even if it was away from the Catholic Church. I met an amazing woman that day, who prayed with me for an hour, and anointed me in front of the alter, and told me that God had told her that she had a special mission as she was entering Mass that morning; then, after talking with her all that time, I confessed to her my difficulties with Mary, and she proceeded to tell me about so many Church doctrines she doesn't believe in, and that God might be leading me away from the Church. It really messed me up, because I was worried that meeting her was an answer to my prayers earlier that morning. I know no one here will believe that because God would never lead someone away from the Catholic Church, but it was still really prominent how direct the answer was; I was so upset by it that I really doubted how sincere I was with God when I told him I was willing to be led away if that was His will.

Since then God has been telling me "Look at Jesus", and I keep neglecting to do what He tells me to, because I'm a rebellious fool, and I keep having manic-panic sessions about Mary, and penance, and even the Real Presence which has always been such a strong point of belief for me, something God showed me very personally when I was first converting. I keep telling Him I'm going to spend time in the Gospels, but I haven't been able to muster more than a chapter per day, and most days it's none...... I hear voices that tell me he doesn't love me, and I hear voices that say "You're a liar" (from God), because I had wanted to go to daily Mass for a week, fast for that same period, and devote myself to scripture, as my own self-assigned penance for some brutal sin that I am convinced the punishment for is irreparably going to destroy my chances of ever being with the girl I've been hoping to marry, whom God continues to demand our separation despite our mutual desire to be together. I gave up on fasting before 10AM on the first day, and haven't read more than a chapter of Scripture, and skipped Saturday Mass because I was up until 5AM and the only Mass was at 8AM. So, I am a liar, and I am rambling.... 3-4 weeks ago I was on a spiritual high and I was going to enter a Catholic Studies program, since then I've been obsessed with the idea that I'll end up 2 years into a program and then decide to leave the Church, but then I also fear satan's putting the thumbscrews on me to keep me away from it.

So, a long rambley tangent, but I really hope the Warning happens, because then I can really believe in the Church's teaching on Mary, which gives the Church an enormous bump in confidence on it's overall teaching since it's nearly the only church (other than the various Orthodox churches) which teach those things about Mary.

I was wondering though; is it possible for anyone to not notice the Warning? Or, my hard-headed anti-Catholic friend, is it possible the Warning would happen, and he would deny it's occurrence out of his hatred of the Church?
Old 5th October 2008, 09:52 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
My first statement will be an utter admission that my faith is paltry and ill-formed. I've been a Christian for ~4 years and a Catholic for less than 1, and until very recently I've always struggled immensely with God's existence, or at least His love for me, now I'm more stable about God, but struggle a great deal with belief in some teachings of the Church.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for sharing your testimony. Perhaps many in this forum have shared your doubts, and certainly have friends who are skeptical about Ron's predicted dates and threaten to laugh if the date passes without the Warning. It is only a short time now until those dates are upon us.

For myself, if the Warning does not take place on April 10, 2009, I will not lose faith in the message of Garabandal or my Catholic faith. If Joey passes away without receiving his "new eyes" I might doubt the authenticity of Garabandal. but, I would not doubt the truth of the Catholic faith. I, too, am a convert for 11 years now and, in that time, I have wavered and entertained many New Age ideas. It is the nature of evil to come upon us unaware. The father of lies encourages us to fall into ideas that are pleasant and comfortable. Recently, I have discovered a book that has opened my eyes to the reality of spiritual warfare. It is called Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans by Malachi Martin. It is an excellent read and a reminder that evil cannot thrive when faced with Jesus and the Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church which Christ himself created by his blood.
Old 5th October 2008, 10:20 AM
supporting member

Default Keep the Faith

Ken....it is easy to sense the frustration in your rambling story. You probably feel that you are on the brink of failure, but my sense is that you are actually on the brink of success. I was told once that if your life is flowing along smoothly you don't have to worry about the devil getting you.....He already owns you.

Any rational, thinking person who observes the world with it's seasons and cycles, it's perfect balance, it's ability to heal itself and sustain itself.....knows that a far greater force is at work here. Your words tell me that you know it too. You haven't put all the pieces in place yet, and you struggle to reach a level of "certainty", which you will never achieve in this life. Faith is the gift given by God which allows us to accept, and build our lives around concepts that we cannot define with "certainty".

I think prayer is the answer for you. Ask God, with a sincere heart, for the gift of Faith. He will give it to you. As your Faith grows.....ask him for more Faith, and it will be given. Your current struggles have you sitting on the fence, and fence-sitters are prime targets for the evil one. His deceptions are clever, believeable, and very well timed. Your frustrations sound to me like a textbook example of his work. You are manifesting all of the symptoms. God so loves you that he sent his only begotten son......FOR YOU......you can believe that.

Pray for Faith and open your heart for God's answer. I will pray for you as well.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

There are two types of surety: the surety of faith and the surety of reason.

The surety of faith applies to the truths of Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium. We can be more certain of the infallible teachings of TSM than we can of anything taught to us by reason. When we believe something by faith, reason acts as the servant to faith, not its equal and not its master.

The surety of reason applies to the truths apart from Divine Revelation, accessible by reason alone. Even when we are very certain, based on reason, that something is true, it is only the certitude of mere human reason and knowledge, which is always less than the ceritude of faith.

Faith and reason are like parent and child. Even when we, persons of faith, know something by reason alone, it is like a child completing a task under the watchful eye of the parent. So the parent may need to correct an error made by the child, which the child does not understand is wrong. So is faith to reason.

Do not let reason rise up in pride and take a role challenging faith. Your reason must be subservient to your faith.

As for true and false private revelations:

When a claimed private revelation (CPR) contradicts an article of faith, we can be as certain, based on faith, that the claimed private revelation is false as we are certain that the doctrine being denied is true. This is the certitude of faith. The certitude that a CPR is false is proximate to the certitude of the article of faith being denied; what makes it proximate is that one must also be certain that the CPR is actually denying that article of faith.

But our certitude that a CPR is true is based on reason, if no articles of faith are denied, and so we cannot have the same type or degree of certitude. So no one should expect that faith in Catholicism be based on even a well-accepted claimed private revelation. For true private revelations are not articles of faith and not directly based on articles of faith.

I'm certain that the date of April 10th, 2009 is the date of the Warning, but this is the certitude of reason; it is not an article of faith. My faith is not based on my eschatology, but on the teachings of TSM.

Ken, advice for you:

{6:22} The lamp of your body is your eye. If your eye is wholesome, your entire body will be filled with light.
{6:23} But if your eye has been corrupted, your entire body will be darkened. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great will that darkness be!

Do not read material that is darkness. Read books by Saints and about Saints. This will strengthen your faith. Recommended reading:

the way of perfection by St. Theresa of Avila
story of a soul by St. Therese of Liseaux
the dolorous passion by Bl. A.C. Emmerich
spiritual exercises by St. Ignatius Loyola
seeds of contemplation by Thomas Merton (not 'new seeds of contemplation,' but rather the older much thinner book)

Try praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet. If this is difficult for you, you can just pray one decade, which will take only a few minutes. Also, the rosary, if you are able.

The voices that say you are a liar are not from God. It is fallen angels or perhaps your own internal conflict, exaggerating your guilt for small faults. If you say you will do something for God and you fail, this is normal in the course of spiritual progress; it is not a lie, nor even necessarily a sin.

Plan to attend Divine Mercy Sunday in 2009; this will forgive all the punishment due for past sins, so that you will no longer have to worry about that punishment.

It is not possible for anyone to not notice the Warning. Everyone will know that God exists and that there is such a thing as conscience and morality and sin.

You can send me an e-mail or private message at anytime if you need some spiritual guidance or answers to spiritual questions.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:57 PM

Ken,

Glad you are able to open up and post about your struggles. I have been there. No worries, you'll be fine. You are in my prayers, and I will be praying for you to see what is actually happening in your life. Sometimes, God allows things to happen to show us where we lack and what we should focus on. By that rule, you are being called towards deeper Faith which you will only know you lack by being tested. Forget evil spirits (satan). He tries to scare you and lead you away, but he had no power over you and can't do anything that God does not allow.

We all fail. It helps us see that we need Jesus even more, because only when he is helping your efforts do you succeed. When you fail to fast, move on. Lingering on issues and beating yourself up is a sort of pride, which is bad. Forgetting about it helps you increase in humility, which is a great weapon against temptation. Learn from it, but it's not a shock, your gonna fail... a lot. Once you strengthen your faith, find His will and try to be obedient to it, then you will find several strings of successes and you will feel so much better.

Good luck,
jay
Old 5th October 2008, 01:32 PM

Dear Ken, child of God,

First of all, you seem to want God's will in your life and you seem to have given your heart to God. Those are the most important things you can be doing. I notice that you seem to be very hard on yourself. God does not demand that you perform all of these sacrifices. What He wants is your heart. It seems that He has it.

Secondly, you are right about not putting your trust in man. Ron has studied the Bible and the messages of various visionaries for a long time and has come up with a human interpretation. He may be right, he may be wrong, or he may be partially right. By no means should anyone reading his predictions on catholicplanet.com or this blog put their faith on the line based on his interpretation. Ron has repeatedly said that he is making predictions. Predictions are not fact. He has also stated that he was wrong quite a few times. He is always telling us to pray so as to be guided by the Holy Spirit.

Put your trust in God. This requires faith....not proof. For this you must pray for sanctification from the Holy Spirit. Ask the Father, and He will not deny you.

A short prayer to the blessed Mother can be repeated when you are facing the enemy. "Mind of Mary know for me; Intelligence of Mary understand for me; Will of Mary decide for me."

May God bless you. You are searching for the truth and you will find it.

Mary's Child

Quote:
Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:3-5
Old 5th October 2008, 09:17 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

Do not read material that is darkness. Read books by Saints and about Saints. This will strengthen your faith. Recommended reading:

the way of perfection by St. Theresa of Avila
story of a soul by St. Therese of Liseaux
the dolorous passion by Bl. A.C. Emmerich
spiritual exercises by St. Ignatius Loyola
seeds of contemplation by Thomas Merton (not 'new seeds of contemplation,' but rather the older much thinner book)

I didn't mean to make a poor suggestion of book by recommending Malachi Martin. I have read several of the above titles, including the story of a soul by St. Therese of Lisieux several times and they are a great help to one's faith. I recently discovered the book by M. Martin and found it has me alerted to the tricks and deceptions that I have previously fallen into. As a convert to the faith, I have found it difficult to remain open to learning the fullness of our faith while closing off ideas (New Age) that present themselves as full of light.
Old 5th October 2008, 10:33 PM
Administrator

I was referring to materials that attack or undermine the faith.
I was not referring to Malachi Martin's book(s) with which I am unfamiliar.