CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Default why did Satan tempt Eve?

Why did Satan tempt Eve, and not Adam? He could have tempted Adam first, or he could have tempted Eve first and then Adam. But he tempted Eve, first her and only her.

Satan fell from grace because he rebelled against God. He was unwilling to worship God-made-man, Jesus Christ, because human nature is less than angelic nature. Satan rebelled against the order whereby God is above created persons; he refused to worship God. He rebellion was the lesser rebelling against the greater. In this way, too, he abandoned his proper place in the hierarchy of angels.

So when humanity was created, in Adam and Eve, Satan wanted this same rebellion to be repeated. Since Adam was created first, and Eve was created to be his helper, there was a certain order to humanity. Adam was the head of Eve, just as God is the head of Creation. Adam was the head of Eve, just as Christ is the head of the Church. So Satan chose to tempt Eve, rather than Adam, because he wanted the same type of rebellion of the lesser against the greater.
Old 6th August 2010, 04:37 PM
supporting member

Interesting, Ron!

It seems that it wasn't until the 20th century that prejudice against women (giving the right to vote to women, as just one example) was finally overcome. Before that time, women were seen as less worthy as people. Now we have equal rights, but, ironically, it is this new freedom that is pitted against the life of the family. Women want fewer children, etc. It is good to be reminded of this. Satan has never stopped tempting.
Old 6th August 2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
He was unwilling to worship God-made-man, Jesus Christ

Ron,

Do you think that perhaps Satan did not tempted Adam first because he was God-made-man lookalike?..., or because perhaps Satan thought that Adam was actually 'The Christ' (because of their male resemblance) walking around the earth and was somewhat not daring to tempt him?...
Old 6th August 2010, 06:07 PM

Can't remember where I read it. I think it was in Mary of Agreda's city of God.( I could be wrong)

Anyway, the story goes that one of the reasons why Satan and the fallen angels rebelled was that before the angels were confirmed in grace and beheld the Beatific Vision they were given a test of sorts.
They were told that God, namely the second person of the Trinty was to have a union with man.
Lucifer thinking he was the most beautiful of creation thought the union should be with him, and furthermore he would not worship Man. He seemlying didn't have a problem worhiping the Second person of the Trinity, but Jesus becoming man. He had a problem with that thinking to himself "worshiping man is far beneath me".

I don't know, its just a story that was in writings of one of the saints or blessed. I just can't remember which one.
Perhaps he went after Eve, just because he wanted to destroy man through the woman.
Old 6th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Michael View Post
Can't remember where I read it. I think it was in Mary of Agreda's city of God.( I could be wrong)

Anyway, the story goes that one of the reasons why Satan and the fallen angels rebelled was that before the angels were confirmed in grace and beheld the Beatific Vision they were given a test of sorts.
They were told that God, namely the second person of the Trinty was to have a union with man.
Lucifer thinking he was the most beautiful of creation thought the union should be with him, and furthermore he would not worship Man. He seemlying didn't have a problem worhiping the Second person of the Trinity, but Jesus becoming man. He had a problem with that thinking to himself "worshiping man is far beneath me".

I don't know, its just a story that was in writings of one of the saints or blessed. I just can't remember which one.

This understanding developed in the Middle Ages with the scholastic theologians. I don't know who was the first to express this idea, similar to the way that Mary of Agreda expresses it.
Old 6th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Ron,

Do you think that perhaps Satan did not tempted Adam first because he was God-made-man lookalike?..., or because perhaps Satan thought that Adam was actually 'The Christ' (because of their male resemblance) walking around the earth and was somewhat not daring to tempt him?...

Both man and woman are made in the image of God.
Satan did tempt Jesus, the Christ, in the desert.
So those are not the reasons that he tempted Eve, not Adam.
Old 6th August 2010, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
It seems that it wasn't until the 20th century that prejudice against women (giving the right to vote to women, as just one example) was finally overcome. Before that time, women were seen as less worthy as people.

I don't agree that all the generations of humanity prior to the 20th century were prejudiced against women. The faithful, despite being sinners, have in every generation treated men and women with respect as children of God. This is abundantly clear from the Epistles, which mention many men and women working for the spread of the Gospel.

The way that secular society treats women in recent times has improved to some extent. But in many ways it has also worsened. Women are pressured to be sex objects, to have sex outside of marriage, to use contraception, to support abortion, etc.

But I don't believe the claim that, even many centuries ago, women were treated like property or like children. Countless men and women married and had loving relationships, in which each treated the other with profound love and admiration and respect. And although past societies had strong differences in roles between men and women, this did not necessarily imply oppression.

Sin is the reason that women have all too frequently been mistreated in society in the past. But sin has not utterly prevailed, such that only the 20th century could free us from certain sins. It is grace and Christ that frees us from all sins, including mistreating other persons (for any of various reasons).
Old 7th August 2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
Interesting, Ron!

It seems that it wasn't until the 20th century that prejudice against women (giving the right to vote to women, as just one example) was finally overcome. Before that time, women were seen as less worthy as people. Now we have equal rights, but, ironically, it is this new freedom that is pitted against the life of the family. Women want fewer children, etc. It is good to be reminded of this. Satan has never stopped tempting.

I wanted to comment on Ron's post and how excellent and interesting that was. then I read this and I just had to say KUDOS to you. This is excellent.

Thank you!
Old 7th August 2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Sin has caused women to be mistreated, in various ways, to one extent or another, throughout human history. But sin can also result in any person being mistreated, in many various ways, regardless of gender or age.

On the other hand, there have always been, since the time of Christ, faithful men and women who lived virtuously, generally avoiding the sins of secular society, and treated one another with love and profound respect. And even before Christ, there were faithful men and women who were good examples among the Jews. And even before any Divine Revelation, by the light of reason and the grace of God, there were faithful men and women who treated one another with love and respect.

So the idea that true equality for women is only offered by modernism, by democracy, even by technology (e.g. the claim that contraception 'frees' women), is false and absurd.

But what many Christians do not understand is that, apart from the sins and failings that are common in the world in every age, men and women have different roles in the Church, the family, and society. Even in Paradise before the Fall, Adam and Eve had different roles. Adam was created first, and Eve second; Adam was created from dust, and Eve from Adam; Eve was created to be a helper to Adam. All this indicates a difference in roles not based on the sinfulness of society or culture.

But now that sin has entered into humanity, there are many sins, failings, imperfections, and a general severe disorder in society. And all this makes it difficult for us to understand the proper place given to each person, including any differences in roles based on gender.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
But what many Christians do not understand is that, apart from the sins and failings that are common in the world in every age, men and women have different roles in the Church, the family, and society. Even in Paradise before the Fall, Adam and Eve had different roles. Adam was created first, and Eve second; Adam was created from dust, and Eve from Adam; Eve was created to be a helper to Adam. All this indicates a difference in roles not based on the sinfulness of society or culture.

To even suggest that today results in quite a backlash, especially from women. Satan had to create division and he did exactly that when he tempted Eve. Man and woman have separate roles and that is seen as backward today. To deny separate roles for each is a way of denying God the Creator and His plan for mankind. What is lacking today is humility and fear of God and being content with the role you have been given.

I hear things like: "That's not fair." or "That's not right." Yet, I doubt that Christ thought that when he was nailed to the Cross. Christ was nailed to the Cross and Mary, his Mother, watched and suffered. Both went through extreme suffering but their roles were different.