CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Apologetics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd June 2017, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Default Why believe in God ?

Hi all,

This is going to be a series of threads that is going to end up in "Why Catholic ?", but in order to get there, first, why believe that there is a God ? why to be a "Theist" ?

Well, to me, it seems very reasonable to believe that there is a Creator of all things, it just makes sense. There has to be "something" that generated "something else". "Something" does not come out of "nothing" because "nothing" cannot do "something".

0 + 0 = 0. "Nada" does "nada"!

0 + 10 million (or more) 0's = 0. Still "nada".

However, 0.1 + 0.1 = 0.2! We see here that the addition of two similar fractions (something!) has generated another new fraction!, an accumulative distinct from the two similar fractions that were added "0.2".

Also, we can give only what we have. We cannot give what we don't have.

For example, if all I have is $20, I can give you $5, or $10, or all the $20. But I cannot give you $21 because I don't have $21, only $20!. Similarly, "nothing" cannot do "something" because it has nothing.

Even the smallest fraction of matter that ever began to exist, have to had been created out of "Something", and that "Something" is what we call "God", or the "Creator", "Dios" in Spanish, "Dio" in Italian, "Dieu" in Frech, etc.

Will continue...
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 23rd June 2017, 02:33 PM
Administrator

When we see a magician making appear a rabbit out of a hat, it looks like that rabbit appeared out of nothing inside that hat. Well, it was something that made it appear, and it was the magician! It was not that "nothing" made that rabbit appear out of nothing.

We were all created out of something else, we came from our parents, our parents out of our grand parents, all the way back to our first parents who ever existed and they also had to come out of something else, from some matter, and where did that matter came from? out of nothing ? No, as explained above, that a matter has to had come out of "Something" else.

Even the first promoters of the most sound scientific theories about creation that we know, Evolution and The Big Bang, believed in a Creator. Charles Darwin in his book about Evolution, "The Origin of the Species" clearly writes about his belief in the "Creator", and Georges Lemaitre a Roman Catholic priest and scientific, was a key element regarding the development of the theory of the Big Bang.

Posts will continue ...
Old 5th July 2017, 04:16 PM
Administrator

When we see nature, the world around us, by reason alone we can deduce that an intelligent being must has been at work. I remember one particular time when I visited my dentist and I was left alone contemplating a picture of the structure of our teeth and I meditated on how our teeth are ordered in a manner so that each can accomplish their function efficiently. The "Incisors" are at the front, and are shaped so that they can cut the food. The "Cuspids" are at the side, and are shaped so that they can tear apart the food. The "Molars" are at the back, and are shaped so that they can crush the food. They are not all over the place, but they are in a orderly manner so that when we eat, each tooth with its particular form and on its particular location, can function properly. They were not there randomly, but wisely put in order. Can they be placed there by random chance ? No way. If you have a bucket with all the letters that I have used in this particular post. If you throw them on the floor, are they going to fall all on its proper place so that they are going to form the sentences that I have written here ? No chance. No matter how many times you try, it is not going to happen. It takes an intelligent being in order to put each letter in order so that they can form a sentence or group of sentences.

The example above was just about our teeth, but there are many other things that cannot be randomly formed such as the birds, a fly (it's wings mechanism is fantastic), or the fireflies or lightning bugs, the order of the planets, etc. It takes an Intelligent being Who has wisely formed and placed them where they are. You too, are not a mere chance, you were created for a purpose and has been placed where you are for a purpose.

Psalm
{32:15} He has formed the hearts of each one of them; he understands all their works.

When we see the picture of the Mona Lisa, we don't have to actually meet, or see its creator, we reasonably deduce that it must has been a very talented painter who created this work of art.
Old 7th July 2017, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Could there be more than one God ? No, it can only be one God and necessarily has to be Eternal. Why ? because if there is more that one "god" or different gods, then each god is limited to the extent the other god interferes with the same or different characteristics, and if they are limited for this reason, they cannot be truly an all powerful "God" since they cannot be more powerful than the other "gods".

Why God has to be Eternal ? because if a god has a beginning, as explained above, this "god" necessarily had to be created by another entity, and in such case, that "entity" that created it should be true "God". In other words, if a "god", lets called it "god A" is limited by not being eternal, as an intelligent being, as explained above, it must has been created by another being "god B" and that being (god B) should be the "God", but if "god B" was also created by another entity (god C), then "god C" should be the "God", and so on and on, further and further into eternity. Therefore, the one true God necessarily has to be Eternal, nobody could have created Him. This is a mystery that goes beyond reason, but it can reasonably be understood to a limited extent.

We live in a physical world, at the same time the first ever physical matter was created, time and space was also created. If all matter in the universe disappears, then, at the same moment, time and space also cease to exist and we are left with what is eternity, no time, no space; and before all creation there was already God who is Eternal. God does not live in something called "eternity" because God is not limited to a "place" even if it is eternal, God Himself IS Eternity.

This is why God says:

Revelation
{22:13} I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Because before God there was nothing, and after God there is nothing either.

On a side note, "infinity mirror" (looking at a mirror with another mirror pointing at it) gives the illusion or glimpse of what the infinite is.
Old 11th July 2017, 06:58 PM
Administrator

The "if science can't prove it, I don't believe in it" approach is not realistic.

Science is limited by our limited capabilities to discover or understand something in the physical realm and God is beyond our finite capabilities because God is Eternal. When a new organism or specie is discovered by science, it doesn't mean that it didn't exist previous to its discovery, it has been existing for quite some time before its discovery. So we cannot say that just because something has not been proven by science (or simply proven), it equals its non existence.

God is Spirit so it goes beyond the physical realm; and spirituality can't be proven by science. My degree of devotion cannot be measured with a physical instrument. A particular dream with all the details (for example, a dream of mine about a friend in a big Church) cannot be proven by science, yet the dream is true and it happened. My personal spiritual experiences cannot be proven by science, so science is limited, it does not cover all and it is in continual development and learning process.

Faith and reason (science) are not enemies, they go together and can never contradict, for it is the same God who created all the elements and the way of how things have been created, so science, good science, only discovers those elements or ways of how the things have been created and continue to be created. Yet Faith is above reason because God is above us who are limited.

Also, the understanding of what our eyes see is not infallible, there may be times when see something that turns out to be something different of what we thought saw. This is why there is trickery, expert magicians, we can easily be fooled if we only believe of what we see. Therefore, we cannot conclude that if we don't see something, it doesn't exist.
Old 25th July 2017, 03:53 PM
Administrator

This thread continues on the following related post "Why Christian?":

http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6063