CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Apologetics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th February 2010, 02:58 AM
Thurifer

Default My Mom

I always try to complete the first 5 saturdays in reparations to the outrages committed against her.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:38 PM

Default How sweet it is to have a spiritual mother!

In almost every parish here in Los Angeles, there is always an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe. In my own parish, it is in the outdoor and is always in abundance with bouquets of fresh flowers and votive candles burning 24/7. Parishioners do pay visits and homage all day long and at all hours of the night. After my daily Mass, I drop by and hand her over all my troubles in this life - the past, the present, and the future - all my cares, worries and aspirations, just about everything!

I do feel sorry for many in the Protestants who do not have this privileges of the sweetness of the Catholic faith.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:18 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurifer View Post
I always try to complete the first 5 saturdays in reparations to the outrages committed against her.

This coming First Saturday will be my 5th.

Also, due to the massive snow storm here in NYC, the 7:30 AM Mass today included the Priest and myself. I served the Mass at the altar with the Priest and did the reading. I also asked him if I could get both species as they no longer do this in my diocese. I was thrilled to receive Christ more fully today during lent!

Obviously I'm in a good mood!
Old 16th November 2010, 06:53 AM

Why does the Catholic appeal to the fact that Mary was "blessed among women" in support of their belief she was sinless when Deborah was "blessed above women"?

And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women (Luke 1:2.

Blessed above women shall Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite be, blessed shall she be above women in the tent (Judges 5:24).
Old 16th November 2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLivingBread View Post
Why does the Catholic appeal to the fact that Mary was "blessed among women" in support of their belief she was sinless when Deborah was "blessed above women"?

And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women (Luke 1:28).

Blessed above women shall Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite be, blessed shall she be above women in the tent (Judges 5:24).

Some of the women of the OT were figures, foreshadowing the Virgin Mary by helping to save Israel, just as Mary helps Christ to save us all.

The expression blessed among women is a superlative, which can be applied to a number of different women. That superlative reaches its height and perfection only in Mary. The expression is one support in Scripture for her perfection, but it is not the sole support.
Old 16th November 2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Jael was blessed among women just as any other woman, who is holy, can be blessed among other women who are not that holy. A particular woman is blessed because of her relationship with God and her good deeds, in comparison with other women who don't have that relationship, and therefore, that 'blessing'.

However, an Archangel was directly send by God to send her the following message:

{1:28} And upon entering, the Angel said to her: “Hail, full of grace. The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women.”

"Full of grace", meaning that no sin has space in her being, and therefore, she is blessed among all other women because no other woman is "full of grace", and therefore, sinless, as Mary is.

And then this expression is repeated again to confirm what the Angel has told her:

{1:41} And it happened that, as Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
{1:42} And she cried out with a loud voice and said: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.

Notice that Elizabeth said those words when she was 'filled' with the Holy Spirit, so it was God Himself who told that to Mary thru Elizabeth.

Also, notice that when Mary met Elizabeth, Mary was pregnant! and according to the old law she would be considered an 'unclean' woman [Lev 12:2 and on..]; but still, she told her "blessed are you among women", this implies her miraculous virgin incarnation of her Son in her womb "and blessed is the fruit of your womb" this implies that her Son is God. Therefore, Mary is blessed among 'all' other women of the world who are not able to conceive with that unique immaculate/miracle. Mary had to conceive in a immaculate - 'clean' way in order for her not to be called 'unclean' or 'impure' - for if she would have conceived naturally - like all other women, then Mary would also be considered an 'unclean' woman, not 'blessed'. Also, her Son was not born the natural way either, but a clean way, because He was also called 'blessed'.

Then Mary sings and prays:

{1:48} For he has looked with favor on the humility of his handmaid. For behold, from this time, all generations shall call me blessed.

Mary is blessed among woman of all generations, past, present and future and all generations shall call her blessed in this life and the next.

The blessing of Mary surpases by far the blessing of Jael or of any other holy woman and men of all generations.

Last edited by Brother : 16th November 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:35 AM

Not true. How can it reach it's height in Mary since she is blessed "among" women which means equally among others that are blessed while to be blessed "above" women, as was Deborah, sets one higher than equality?
Old 17th November 2010, 02:31 AM
supporting member

CPDV

Judges 5:24

Blessed among women is Jael, the wife of Heber the Kenite. And blessed is she in her tabernacle.
Old 17th November 2010, 03:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLivingBread View Post
Not true. How can it reach it's height in Mary since she is blessed "among" women which means equally among others that are blessed while to be blessed "above" women, as was Deborah, sets one higher than equality?

The text does not say 'Deborah' but 'Jael' -- these are two different women.

Although you might find a translation that says 'above women', there is nothing in the text itself in Latin to justify using 'above' for Jael.

{5:24} Benedicta inter mulieres Iahel uxor Haber Cinæi, et benedicatur in tabernaculo suo.
{5:24} Blessed among women is Jael, the wife of Heber the Kenite. And blessed is she in her tabernacle.

Also, the Hebrew interlinear text does not have a word meaning 'above', but only the word 'women' conjugated as 'from women' or 'of women'.

The term 'blessed among women' is an expression, a figure of speech, indicating a superlative. But a superlative can have either of two meanings:
1. very much so
2. more so than all others

So when Christ said that the mustard seed is the smallest (superlative) seed, He meant very much so (very small). He was not asserting that it is the smallest of all seeds.

When the OT says that Jael is a superlative woman, it means very much so. When the NT says that Mary is a superlative woman, it means more so than all others.
The interpretation is based not only on the text of Scripture, but on Tradition and Magisterium as well.
Old 17th November 2010, 01:09 PM

Ok Deborah and not Jael...thank you - your correction is appreciated.
I don't have access to my Hebrew Bible for some time but I intend to check.
So you insist that Mary MUST be above women with zero support form the text but because RCC told you so or someone else told you?