CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th July 2007, 01:53 PM
Joan

Default The Abyss of God's Mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Anyone who has perfect contrition, that is, contrition motivated by love of God and neighbor, is forgiven for their sins, even if they cannot get to confession or are Protestant.

"The King of Love my Shepherd is, His Mercy faileth never" Only God sees the heart, knows the sufferings and secrets of every soul. We do well to follow the rules with humility, knowing that our best efforts are still not perfect, our contrition only rarely perfect. Yet, this King of Love makes provision for this reality of our fallen state, with generosity and kindness. How great is our God.
Old 4th July 2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

perfect contrition is a misnomer. Contrition can be very imperfect, but if it is motivated by love of God and neighbor, then it is still called perfect contrition.

Ron
Old 5th July 2007, 01:57 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Hopefully, that is what our pastor may be doing. I may get brave and ask him the next time. Thanks, Cecil.

Joey,

I just attended the Sunday Benediction at EWTN shrine and I notice one of the handouts in the pew was for a healing service.

For all, if you get the chance to visit EWTN, it is a truely special spiritual experience, a beautiful place to visit our Lord. Listening to the nuns chant the Liturgy of the Hours is exceptional. The Mass at EWTN chapel is also one that I will remember for a life time. The chapel is small, but one that feels you are totally part of the Mass.

Cecil
Old 5th July 2007, 02:06 PM

Wow. What an awesome opportunity for you Cecil. My goal is to try to get to the Our Lady of America shrine in Rome City, Ohio in the very near future. Has anyone else gone?

Joey
Old 6th July 2007, 02:55 AM

Cool Annointing of the Sick and Holy Eucharist

Ron, when this sacrament is administered to someone who is dying, is the Holy Eucharist normally given to him?
And how about those occasions when someone receives this sacrament but not at the time of approaching death?
Thanks.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Angel View Post
Ron, when this sacrament is administered to someone who is dying, is the Holy Eucharist normally given to him?
And how about those occasions when someone receives this sacrament but not at the time of approaching death?
Thanks.

Ideally, when a person is close to death, they should receive confession, communion, and Anointing of the Sick, that is, all three Sacraments.

When someone is not near death, but is chronically ill, or is very ill, or is ill with an ailment that cannot be treated or diagnosed, then they can receive the Anointing of the Sick. But it is not to be given out liberally to anyone who wants to receive it. Only to the sick, and not for minor ailments.

When someone is not near death, they might still receive all three Sacraments, but receiving all three is not as urgent for those who are not near death.

Ron