CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th April 2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Default TS 2: Scripture cannot be broken

Christ himself taught that Scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35).

This means not only that Scripture cannot be false, but also that it cannot be null and void, nor useless, nor no longer valid, nor irrelevant to modern society, nor of merely historical relevance, nor a mere reflection of past social and cultural beliefs.

If any interpretation of any verse in the Bible
has the effect of making that verse null and void,
then that interpretation is null and void,
not Scripture.

Even though Christians are not required to adhere to many of the external prescriptions of the OT (circumcision, dietary laws, etc.), we are all still bound by the spiritual level of meaning of those passages.

[Matthew]
{5:18} Amen I say to you, certainly, until heaven and earth pass away, not one iota, not one dot shall pass away from the law, until all is done.
{5:19} Therefore, whoever will have loosened one of the least of these commandments, and have taught men so, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever will have done and taught these, such a one shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Ron
Old 8th April 2007, 05:00 PM
supporting member

Ron if I do not have questions, do I have to acknowledge each TS? Sammy.
Old 8th April 2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Ron if I do not have questions, do I have to acknowledge each TS? Sammy.

No, you don't have to post an acknowledgement.
Just particpate in the way that you see fit to.

Ron
Old 8th April 2007, 06:45 PM

Ron,

The bible is infallibly revealed by God. Does it mean that it contains everything about the Faith, even those truths which are impossible to understand with our human mind?

For example we know something about the Trinity, still there are truth about God which are beyond our human understanding. Are these Truth implicitly contained in Scripture? If yes, I suppose no one could get in depth and understand them.

God bless

Roberto
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 8th April 2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Ron,

The bible is infallibly revealed by God. Does it mean that it contains everything about the Faith, even those truths which are impossible to understand with our human mind?

For example we know something about the Trinity, still there are truth about God which are beyond our human understanding. Are these Truth implicitly contained in Scripture? If yes, I suppose no one could get in depth and understand them.

God bless

Roberto

Scripture points to unfathomable truths, but does not contain them.

All the truths of Scripture, which have been correctly understood by all the minds on earth, put together is only a fraction of the fullness of truth in Scripture. And yet the written Word of God is so much less than the living Word of God, Christ, of which Scripture is but a reflection.
Old 9th April 2007, 03:12 AM

Default Respect for Scripture

Ron: Is an example of this what happened with Mel Gibson's film, wherein so many so-called "scholars" criticized the Bible as being written by biased men with a given agenda? The same was seen in the case of the DaVinci Code trash. Gabe
Old 9th April 2007, 03:31 AM

Default Ok

A lot of good encyclicals and council documents on Scripture have been promulgated (funny word that promulgated) this last century.

Benedict XV said 'Scripture cannot lie'; it is wrong to say Scripture lies, no, it is impious even to admit the very notion of error where the Bible is concerned" (#13, Spiritus Paraclitus, 1920)
Old 9th April 2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
Ron: Is an example of this what happened with Mel Gibson's film, wherein so many so-called "scholars" criticized the Bible as being written by biased men with a given agenda? The same was seen in the case of the DaVinci Code trash. Gabe

The Bible cannot contain the biases of men with a given agenda, because Sacred Scripture contains all those things and only those things that God wills. Sometimes, in reading Scripture, we get a sense for the limitations of individuals, in that they sin or lack knowledge. But Scripture never teaches a bias or an error in any way.

Ron