CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Theology of the Body
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd June 2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default Theology of the Body: lecture 7

7. In the Very Definition of Man, the Alternative Between Death and Immortality
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/jp2tb7.htm

"This consciousness brings with it a particular perception of the meaning of one's own body, emerging precisely from the fact that it falls to man to "till the earth" and "subdue it." All that would be impossible without a typically human intuition of the meaning of one's own body."

John Paul considers the importance of the nature of man as both soul and body. Scripture teaches that mankind is to tend the earth, not as a servant of the earth, but as its master. This teaching rebukes those who would place concern for the environment as if it were above the concerns and needs of humanity. Good stewardship of the earth is required by the command to till the earth; but exaltation of concern for the environment to an inordinate extent, so that man becomes the servant of the environment, is forbidden by the command to subdue the earth.

"Man is a subject not only because of his self-awareness and self-determination, but also on the basis of his own body. The structure of this body permits him to be the author of a truly human activity. In this activity the body expresses the person."

Our physical acts have moral meaning before God, expressing who we are as persons, either as children of light who do good deeds, good in both soul and body, or as children of darkness, who commit sinful acts, harmful to both soul and body.

"The alternative between death and immortality, which emerges from Genesis 2:17, goes beyond the essential meaning of man's body. It grasps the eschatological meaning not only of the body, but of humanity itself, distinguished from all living beings, from "bodies." "

The command not to eat from the tree, or he would die, implies that man has free will and reason, to understand the command and to choose to obey; and the punishment of dying by eating the fruit implies that man has a life not only of the body, but also of the soul. When he eats from the fruit, not only does man become mortal and eventually die in body, but immediately his soul experiences a type of death also.

Again, notice that we are now 7 weeks into the TOB lectures, and John Paul has not focussed on sex, but on the true meaning of human nature as revealed in the creation stories of Genesis. This contrasts sharply with the popular version of TOB, which focuses almost entirely on sex and sexuality.
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Scripture teaches that mankind is to tend the earth, not as a servant of the earth, but as its master. This teaching rebukes those who would place concern for the environment as if it were above the concerns and needs of humanity. Good stewardship of the earth is required by the command to till the earth; but exaltation of concern for the environment to an inordinate extent, so that man becomes the servant of the environment, is forbidden by the command to subdue the earth.

Good point Ron.

With the Vegetarians due respect, I particularly never understood how they don't want humanity to eat meat, yet they can eat other living things such as plants. Even animals eat other animals in order to survive, so it's God's will that humans being made in His Image and Likeness and above animals, also have the right to eat some kind of animals in order to survive. Jesus Himself multiplied fish for hungry men and women.

Regarding the "being green" that we hear nowadays, Jesus was a Carpenter and used wood for craftsmanship, so I can't imagine that our Lord was too concern about trees. In the O.T., temples were constructed used wood from Lebanon, etc.

Now, I don't agree with *abusing* things, but if a thing is necessary to do for survival, humanity is priority and the master of the earth.
Old 23rd June 2009, 03:57 PM
Administrator

The following is a message from Jesus given to Anne a lay apostle and it is in her book Thoughts on Spirituality (Volume One of a series) Pg. 27:

Quote:
“Nature is not God. I am God. Nature is a
manifestation of Me as the Creator, as are
all of you, My children. This is a grave
error currently in the world. People are
substituting nature for Me. In this
instance, nature becomes no different
from any other pagan god. This displeases
Me.”

These Volumes are for free download in her website:
http://www.directionforourtimes.com/onlinevolumes.html

Last edited by Brother : 23rd June 2009 at 04:02 PM.