CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Theology of the Body
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th May 2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
I'm not a married person but I'm gonna give my two cents anyway.

Not every time a couple has sexual relations mean or equal a baby; there is a chance, yes, but not a certainty. We have to put our trust in God and put Him above all things, even in marriage; as the Divine Mercy paint says, "Jesus, I trust in You".

A faithful married Catholic couple should pray before the sexual act, and treat that bed as an altar because the Holy Spirit is also coming down to be part of that act of love and is going to be involved in that relationship. If a baby is procreated because that relationship, it means that God has allowed it. Nothing happens without God permitting it. That means that that baby has a purpose in life. None of us are here because of mere chance, we are not a mistake or a causality, no; He has His plan for all of us even before we were born. That's why a couple has to be always open to life, trusting in God because He is the one who permits the number of children that couple is going to be blessed with. Thinking that one is going to be in a bad situation with so many children, is not trusting in God or that God is not going to provide for the care of the children or that God is going to abandon the couple or ultimately as if God simply does not exist, but that is not the case.

I know of a married couple in my parish who have been blessed with 15 children! (an irresponsability or an scandal for secular society) but I see how God provides for them, they are not in necessity but living a Christian life, something I can not explain with simple words. I'm not saying by this example that all Catholic couples are going to have many children, but we have to live according to God's Will. Jesus bring us peace, but not the peace the world seeks (money, pleasure, recognition, etc.) but a peace that we can live in Faith, love and charity regardless of the circumstances in which we live.

We must trust in God because we don't know how many blessing a couple can have with their children.

If you have a fear or anxiety regarding this, this non-tranquility can come from the devil. I'm going to share what Padre Pio said to one lay person. I don't have that note with me right now, so I'll bring it to you tomorrow, so we can distinguish the spirit that comes from God and the spirit of the devil which cause us inconformity, chaos or disturbance.

God bless.

Thanks Brother. I will be here tomorrow.
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 20th May 2009, 04:24 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Tomorrow I have a family of 10 children coming to my house from California. All the same parents, converts, all home schooled. I cant wait to be with them all!
Old 20th May 2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
[...]
A faithful married Catholic couple should pray before the sexual act, and treat that bed as an altar because the Holy Spirit is also coming down to be part of that act of love and is going to be involved in that relationship.
[...]

Imho,

Agreed, I'm also not married yet, but I think we should pray before make sexual act with our wife. I think the feeling will be different and give much more warm and good feeling rather than those secular sex, it's so pity that most secular people try to find pleasure in sex but I think they won't found it, because they lack of faith and what they'll find is just emptiness and vain in the end.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
Imho,

Agreed, I'm also not married yet, but I think we should pray before make sexual act with our wife. I think the feeling will be different and give much more warm and good feeling rather than those secular sex, it's so pity that most secular people try to find pleasure in sex but I think they won't found it, because they lack of faith and what they'll find is just emptiness and vain in the end.

As one who is married, the thought of praying before sex has never entered my mind. I would offer that the love and trust between us makes the act more wholesome then if it was just lust and God was not a part of our lives. She owns my body and I own hers and as a result you care more for your spouse than you care for yourself.
Old 20th May 2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
[Tobit 8:4-10]
{8:4} Then Tobias exhorted the virgin, and he said to her: “Sarah, get up and let us pray to God this day, and tomorrow, and the following day. For, during these three nights, we are being joined to God. And then, when the third night has passed, we ourselves will be joined together.
{8:5} For certainly, we are the children of the saints, and we must not be joined together in such a manner as the heathens, who are ignorant of God.”
{8:6} And so, rising up together, they both prayed earnestly, at the same time, that health might be given to them.
{8:7} And Tobias said: “Lord, the God of our fathers, may the heavens and the earth bless you, and the sea, and the fountains, and the rivers, and all your creatures that are in them.
{8:8} You formed Adam from the mud of the earth, and you gave Eve to him as a helper.
{8:9} And now, O Lord, you know that I take my sister in conjugal union, not by reason of worldly pleasure, but solely for the love of posterity, in which your name may be blessed forever and ever.”
{8:10} Sarah likewise said, “Be merciful to us, O Lord, be merciful to us. And let us both grow old together in health.”

Tobit did pray. But I don't know the exact time when he prayed that prayer.

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 20th May 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 20th May 2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
[/b]

Tobit did pray. But I don't know the exact time when he prayed that prayer.

Yes, Tobit and Sarah did pray together before the sexual act.
Old 20th May 2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

A promise is a debt, below is a quote from a page of a booklet I have where it says that Padre Pio gave a spiritual guidance to a person who complained distressed by his sins.

Quote:
Spiritual Guidance from Padre Pio

Someone complained to Padre Pio of being excessively distressed by sins he had committed. Padre Pio replied:
“That which you feel is pride; it is the demon which inspires you with this sentiment, it is not true sorrow”.
The penitent replied: “Father, how can you then distinguish what comes from the heart and is inspired by Our Lord, and that which instead is inspired by the devil?” “You will distinguish it”, replied Padre Pio, “always by this: The spirit of God is a spirit of peace, and also in the case of grave sin, it make us feel tranquil sorrow, humble, confident, and this is due precisely to His mercy. The spirit of the demon, on the contrary, excites, exasperates, and makes us in our sorrow feel something like anger against ourselves, whereas our first charity must be to ourselves, and so if certain thoughts agitate you, this agitation never comes from God, who gives tranquility, being the Spirit of Peace. Such agitation comes from the devil”.

The above quote is in regards to that person's personal sins which he was distressed about and how the devil is always the accuser, the one who causes us distress, anguish, etc; but similarly, the devil causes us distress in regards to the things of God, that spirit makes us feel anguish, distress, repulsive towards the things of God. The spirit of the devil tries to make us think that the things of God are ridiculous, that it can not be, that it's foolishness, and takes advantage of our limited reasoning or understanding in order to make us go away from the Faith.

On the contrary, as St. Pio says, the spirit of God give us peace, tranquility, meekness and confidence.

I would suggest Truthseeker and everyone, including myself (with open heart), to ask God for His Spirit (The Holy Spirit), something He will not say no to us, so we'll have the peace we need regardless of our circumstances in this life. Now that the feast of Pentecost is aproaching, it's good to ask for it also.

Peace.
Old 20th May 2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
A promise is a debt, below is a quote from a page of a booklet I have where it says that Padre Pio gave a spiritual guidance to a person who complained distressed by his sins.

The above quote is in regards to that person's personal sins which he was distressed about and how the devil is always the accuser, the one who causes us distress, anguish, etc; but similarly, the devil causes us distress in regards to the things of God, that spirit makes us feel anguish, distress, repulsive towards the things of God. The spirit of the devil tries to make us think that the things of God are ridiculous, that it can not be, that it's foolishness, and takes advantage of our limited reasoning or understanding in order to make us go away from the Faith.

On the contrary, as St. Pio says, the spirit of God give us peace, tranquility, meekness and confidence.

I would suggest Truthseeker and everyone, including myself (with open heart), to ask God for His Spirit (The Holy Spirit), something He will not say no to us, so we'll have the peace we need regardless of our circumstances in this life. Now that the feast of Pentecost is aproaching, it's good to ask for it also.

Peace.

Thanks Brother for this beautiful quote. Was wondering if we can start a thread about spiritual advices from Saints on different topics.
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 20th May 2009, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Thanks Brother for this beautiful quote. Was wondering if we can start a thread about spiritual advices from Saints on different topics.

go ahead and start the thread.
Old 20th May 2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
go ahead and start the thread.

Ok Ron as soon as I will have access to some books I got at home.