CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Theology of the Body
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th June 2009, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default Theology of the Body: lecture 1

OF THE UNITY AND INDISSOLUBILITY OF MARRIAGE
Pope John Paul II
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/jp2tb1.htm

"He avoided getting caught up in juridico-casuistical controversies."
Jesus did not accept the Pharisaical view that divorce was a matter of a judgment of the prudential order, a matter of law and interpretation, even of human law and interpretation of law. God created man and woman from the beginning, making the roles of men and women in humanity inherent to the human race. Thus the question of marriage and divorce is of natural law (which is an expression of the eternal moral law).

Natural law is the promulgation of the eternal moral law within creation, especially within created persons (who are made in God's image), and in the relationship between various created things, again especially created persons. The relationship between men and women, and the roles that are inherent to gender, are of human nature as created by God before sin, and so these are of natural law, not merely of culture or a social convention, and not merely a changeable rule.

"The normative meaning is plausible since Christ did not confine himself only to the quotation itself, but added: "So they are no longer two but one flesh."

Scripture, and Jesus in his discussion with the Pharisees, was not merely describing the situation that commonly occurs, but rather the natural law as ordained by God when He created men and women.

The term normative is used here in the sense of the eternal moral law, not in the sense of guidelines, or rules, or general practices.

Notice that Christ did not do away with marriage under the New Covenant. Rather, He took natural marriage, ordained by God as an inherent part of humanity, and he raised it to a higher level, to the Sacrament of Marriage, (which includes natural marriage). Jesus changed the water of natural marriage, which prevailed during OT times, into the wine of the Sacrament of Marriage, which far exceeds natural marriage in beauty and grace.

But many Catholics today treat their marriages as if they were no different that the marriages of secular society, no different than natural marriages, as if there were no grace, no Sacrament, no involvement of God and the Church, and even worse, as if their marriages were no different from those who live together outside of marriage.
Old 5th June 2009, 03:31 PM
supporting member

Default I have to plead guilty

This description fits me, I am sad to admit. When I was growing up, all marriages were conducted by ministers in churches. A civil marriage or "justice of the peace" marriage was very rare. One marriage seemed like any other marriage, and divorce was very rare as well. I have always known that marriage was a sacrament when conducted in the Catholic Church. Later, I came to understand that the Catholic Church did not recognize a marriage that was not sacramental, and I became aware of the annulment process. Today I have become very sensitive to the gay marriage issue, and I worked very hard on the constitutional amendment that we passed last year in Florida. Marriage is now under attack from the devil and it has become an issue affecting everyone. Thankfully, I have a very patient wife, and have now been married for 42 years. None of these issues seemed like they were a concern to me. Now I know better.

I am a slow learner......but I am finally getting the whole picture.

Last edited by VKallin : 5th June 2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 5th June 2009, 05:24 PM

@VKallin
Wow, 42 years? You're getting closer to the golden anniversary(50 years), keep it up. (You also can see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_anniversary for extended information about wedding anniversary)

@Ron
Ron, what Sacrament Marriage is look like? Is it like communion wafer, or is it a legal letter from RCC or what? And do they eat host during the ritual? What about if one of them is not Catholic, do they still able to get Sacrament Marriage? Is it valid?

Thanks.
Old 5th June 2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
Ron, what Sacrament Marriage is look like? Is it like communion wafer, or is it a legal letter from RCC or what? And do they eat host during the ritual? What about if one of them is not Catholic, do they still able to get Sacrament Marriage? Is it valid?

The Sacrament of Marriage occurs when there is consent, consummation, and the proper form (ceremony). A Mass is not necessary for the Sacrament of Marriage.

A marriage with a baptized non-Catholic is possible. It is uncertain, theologically, whether or not a baptized Catholic can have a valid Sacrament of Marriage with an unbaptized person.

The Sacrament of Marriage continues throughout the lives of the husband and wife. It is not merely one ceremony or one day. Their relationship and life together is a Sacrament.
Old 8th July 2009, 06:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Therese

I have read and understand,I probably have a better appreciation about the sanctity of marriage now ,than when I was younger.