CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th May 2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Default Movie Reviews

Hi everyone,

Since most of the movies out there in modern society promote things that are contrary to our faith or darkens the holiness of a person, I think it would be nice to share between us a list of movies Catholics should watch and don’t watch.

What I particularly do with movies that I feel starts keeping me await of the faith is simply stop watching even if the movie is not finish yet. As an example, I could not go to Mass to accept the Body of Christ after watching a movie with too much curse and bad behavior, but this is just me.

I’m going to give a review of movies which, in my opinion, are acceptable to watch or not and why. Feel free to agree or disagree with me on this and also give your particular recommendations and reviews.

Also bear in mind that even films based on true stories or events, necessarily have some fictional material to fit a given screen play so we can learn from them and have a basic knowledge of the events but it is mainly entertainment.

I begin the reviews with films based on the life of Jesus:

Jesus of Nazareth (1977)
Starring: Robert Powell, Anne Bancroft Director: Franco Zeffirelli

Epic, powerful film on the Life of Jesus, faithful to the Gospel, except that the Sermon at the Mount was shown as it were different sermons on different places but, other than that, it is still one of the best films based on the life of Jesus I have seen so far. This one goes even before the start of the Gospels until His resurrection.

Talking about production terms, it was well done.

I would Highly Recommend it.

The Jesus Film (1979)
Starring: Brian Deacon, Rivka Neuman Director: John Krish, Peter Sykes

This film was production wise cheaper than Jesus of Nazareth; however, it contains materials that are truthful to the Gospels, I think even closer than the previous mentioned film. For a person who wants to know who Jesus was, this movie it the one.

I would highly recommend it.

The Passion of the Christ (2004)
Starring: James Caviezel, Maia Morgenstern Director: Mel Gibson

This is perhaps the most accurate movie made about our Lord’s Passion (as it title says) so far. Inspired by the writings of the revelations given to Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich on this subject.

Well directed and produced as well.

This film is a good company to the two previous films mentioned above.

Highly recommended.

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
Starring: Max von Sydow, Michael Anderson Jr. Director: Jean Negulesco

Another well done movie, faithful to the Gospels even though I found the fate of Judas portrayed in a different manner here, I may think it is just a matter of a different interpretation which doesn’t lead the audience await of the faith though. Inspiring and moving as well.

Highly recommended.

The Gospel of John (2003)
Starring: Christopher Plummer, Henry Ian Cusick

This movie supposedly follows the entire Gospel of John step by step; however, I found in it some ideas that do not go with the true sense of the Gospel and in some way even heretical.

It gives the impression to the audience that Jesus had blood brothers by not specifying that in the original Hebrew, the word brother have other meanings such as a close relative such as a cousin or brother in the faith only.

It shows Mary Magdalene present inside the room where Jesus was having His Last Supper with the Apostles when the Gospel say that He was with the 12 Apostles as a private moment between them only, not anybody else {Matthew 26:20} and {Mark 14:17}.

It shows Mary Magdalene going along with Jesus and the 12 Apostles to different places were they are alone; giving the impression that Magdalene perhaps was something more than a disciple of Jesus. This following of Mary Magdalene even when Jesus is supposed to be alone with the twelve is not documented in the Gospels.

This movie may seem harmless and good to a person who doesn’t know well about the life of Jesus and wants to know about the Lord; however, I think that this movie may be misguiding.

For these reasons, I would not recommend this movie.

The Nativity Story (2006)
Starring: Keisha Castle-Hughes, Oscar Isaac Director: Catherine Hardwicke.

This movie presented our Mother Mary’s Magnificat; however, it deliberately took away this verse:

[Luke]
{1:48} For he has looked with favor on the humility of his handmaid. For behold, from this time, all generations shall call me blessed.

Which is a very important one and for that reason alone this movie should not be recommended. Heed the words of St. John in Revelations to those who take away or add words to the Scripture. If the producers did not want to share with the world that specific verse from the Magnificat, I think they should not have shown it at all.

This movie also presented Mary as any regular sort of rebel woman who did not want to marry Joseph at the begining, with average parents, nothing of holiness are showed to them, and this has nothing to do with the real story. If you want to get a better story of the Nativity, better watch the beginning of Jesus of Nazareth which is, at least, more truthful to the events.

This movie was pre screened at the Vatican, but the Pope was not present, I suppose most of the priest who were present at this event, didn’t see this movie previously.

Not recommended.

More reviews on another opportunity…
Old 8th May 2007, 12:01 AM

Default Brother

Brother,

I saw "The Gospel of John" on a whim. I agree with your review of it, but it didnt bother me in anyway. Basically I enjoyed the concept of it taking the Gospel word for word and framing a movie around that. Plus I love the acting of Henry Ian Cusick. I enjoyed it.

I wouldnt recommend it to a scrupulous Catholic or a tender conscienced Catholic or maybe a more ignorant Catholic. Still I think the movie can do good cause its almost like having the Bible read to you out loud.
Old 8th May 2007, 01:48 AM

Not sure if anyone saw this movie or not:

Barabbas (1962)
Director:Richard Fleischer
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055774/

The movie is completely fictional, but it is an interesting movie. For me, it was like seeing the behind the scenes of the growth of Catholicism during the first 40-50 years. I am not sure what Catholic teaching are or what was documented on Barabbas. In the movie, which again was fictional, Barabbas was haunted as to why Jesus died instead of him and it slowly led him to convert to Christianity and die a martyrs death along side St. Peter. Interesting movie to meditate on and consider what the early persecutions may have been like.

I recommend it, but after most of the movies already posted.
Old 8th May 2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Thank you my brothers for sharing your reviews, this is what this topic is all about.

I haven't seen Barabbas yet, but I'll be looking for it now.

More reviews later...
Old 8th May 2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Francis of Assisi (1961)
Starring: Bradford Dillman, Dolores Hart Director: Michael Curtiz.

Excellent movie for conversion, inspirational to leave everything of this world for our Lord. It shows how anyone with great faith in God, even during difficult times (it was a difficult time for our Church during the period of the Crusades) can make a difference with the little things we can offer. Great performances by Bradford Dillman as St. Francis and Dolores Hart (who, by the way, became a nun in real life after making this movie) as St. Claire.

Highly Recommended.

A Man for All Seasons (1966)
Starring: Paul Scofield, Wendy Hiller Director: Fred Zinnemann.

It tells the story of St. Thomas Moore and show us how we are servants of our leaders and that we should respect them for that since all authority in the world is because God has allowed it, but more important, that we are servants of our Lord first and foremost. Great cast, very good performance by Paul Scofield as Moore. Winner of Oscars including Best Picture and Best Actor. In this movie also appears Orson Wells as Cardinal Wosley.

Recommended too.

Therese (2003)
Starring: Lindsay Younce

Beautiful and inspirational movie of how we can be great doing little things. I particularly didn't know too much or in detail of the personal life of St. Therese of the Child Jesus (I'm learning now thanks to Padraig ); however, if you are interested in knowing a little bit about her life, this movie is for you, it will teach you to grow spiritually and you can learn.

Recommended.

Mother Teresa (2003)
Starring: Olivia Hussey, Sebastiano Somma Director: Fabrizio Costa.

Olivia Hussey gave a great performance in 1977 portraying the Mother of God, Mary in “Jesus of Nazareth”; now she repeats the sense of that roll portraying the life of Mother Theresa. It gives us a great example and realization of how Jesus is present in the poorest of the poor and how we can do something about it no matter the location and opposition. Many lessons of life can be learned by watching this film.

Highly Recommended.

Pope John Paul II (2007)
Starring: Jon Voight; Cary Elwes; Ben Gazzara; Christopher Lee and James Cromwell Director: John Kent Harrison.

Very informative movie regarding the life of the late Pope John Paul II, it shows his personal struggles and of his country, Poland, because of the Nazi occupation as a young man and how destiny, or better yet, Divine Providence had in store for him. A man of great devotion and responsibility which can be described by looking at his eyes, he was sincere. John Voight gives a pretty good performance as the Pope.

I think the director of this movie could have done a better work with this movie since it had very good source of information, script and cast but, to me, he didn’t pull it off. Despite this, I still recommend it.

More reviews on another occasion…

Last edited by Brother : 8th May 2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 13th May 2007, 07:46 PM

Brother,

Are we just reviewing Catholic movies or any?
Old 1st June 2007, 05:40 AM

Default Saw "Gospel of John"...seemd like hiddne Goddess worship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Brother,

I saw "The Gospel of John" on a whim. I agree with your review of it, but it didnt bother me in anyway. Basically I enjoyed the concept of it taking the Gospel word for word and framing a movie around that. Plus I love the acting of Henry Ian Cusick. I enjoyed it.

I wouldnt recommend it to a scrupulous Catholic or a tender conscienced Catholic or maybe a more ignorant Catholic. Still I think the movie can do good cause its almost like having the Bible read to you out loud.

Many feminists claim that Mary Magdalene was actually an apostle and even Christ's second in command. Of course, the DaVinci trash comes from this and leads to the sacrileges that need not be repeated here. I found this film ok except for the pattern of showing MM everywhere, as if she was the center of everything. Very shrewdly hidden feminist tones. I think that if one sees it expecting this, it is ok, but it might lead to false impressions to the less aware regarding the relative importance of MM.
Old 1st June 2007, 05:45 AM

Default Therese and Francis of Assisi excellent,but Kingdom of Heaven?

I have seen Therese and Francis of Assisi, and find them excellent in every way. As for KofH, I have heard that the movie depicts the crusades as misguided, fanatical etc and plays into the whole present political Muslims have been victimized by fanatical Christians thing. Did anyone who saw that movie find that to be the case?
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:56 AM
Joan

Default Kingdom of Heaven

Like so many films, Kingdom of Heaven had many excellent qualities as a film. However, like garabandalg, I also noticed the anti-Catholic viewpoint. As I recall, the hero is confronted by a vile, cruel priest who insults the memory of his dead wife?

Another film with many excellent qualities was Gladiator. I believe it fully deserved its Academy Award for Best Picture that year. It does have terrible violence, it is not for the young to see that--but many good messages of courage and loyalty and commitment are in that film. It was a very chilling and excellent portrayal of corruption and heartlessness of Rome as well, the "dog eat dog" struggle of life in the ancient world. The hero is a pagan, but his simplicity in that belief system, is so touching--it is not the story of a Christian it is the story of a Roman general. At the time the film debuted, it had been years since heroic qualities had been rewarded, and absolute values of honor, loyalty, courage with the added artistic daring of showing a tragic ending without despair or cynicism. The performances were superb, the story exciting, the sense of place and time beautifully carried out without the annoying lapses into modern jargon that destroy the illusion of being present in another time and place. Very good film

Last edited by Joan : 2nd June 2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 2nd June 2007, 02:59 AM

Default Violence

We've all seen this films (I know I have) and have an affinity for the action epics, but let's be real here. Jesus would be appalled by the violence in Gladiator and Braveheart for example.

His way was a non-violent one, which is difficult sometimes for my testosterone driven appetite for such movies.