CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd December 2009, 11:46 AM
supporting member

Default Thanks for the review

I ordered the DVD some time ago and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

This opinion article talks about the religious themes in the movie Avatar:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/op...hat1.html?_r=2
Apparently the movie promotes a pantheistic idea of God as being the sum total of all nature. Although explicit pantheism is uncommon in modern society, there are pantheistic tendencies. For example, when people speak about 'the universe' as if it were a god, saying that they are 'listening to what the universe has to say,' or 'the universe will take care of things' or similar expressions, this is pantheistic. Also the over-emphasis in modern society on the environment and on the well-being of animals tends to put nature above humanity, as if nature were a god to be worshipped.
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:24 PM

God is a substance in the universe..., can I think this way or not?
Old 23rd December 2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator

I would recommend this movie keeping in mind that it's just a fantasy tale. It has one of the greatest visual effect's I've seen in movies and the story is pretty good.

It takes place in a fictional extra terrestrial aborigine world where they believe in a superior being called "Eywa". They even "pray" and are able to converse or make requests to this being which is not seeing (a godlike character in this alien indigenous mind), they "pray" or "worship" indigenous style. These indigenous civilization respect their natural world (which really looks like a Paradise - fantastic visuals) as a creation of "Eywa", they esteem animals; however, if they need to kill an animal in order to survive, or to eat them, they do so. The movie shows this as a belief of this civilization only, not as a belief of the humans, who are studying this alien race thru the use of the "avatars", a mechanism which will be created in the future according to this Sci Fi movie.

It's good to keep in mind that, in the real world, indigenous people also believe in a superior being (it's part of human nature), their god, and do rituals, etc. I think this movie shows the beliefs of this fictional indigenous civilization but that in the end that there is a true and real God for all of us, whether we are mistaken in the way we believe in that God, whether we are Catholics, Jews or Muslims, or even atheists, that there is a true God for all of us.

As Catholics, I would recommend this movie as if discovering customs of a pagan but peaceful and united world that would need evangelization (just as Christians do in real world to natives), and you can get your own conclusions.
Old 23rd December 2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
God is a substance in the universe..., can I think this way or not?

No. God is not a substance. The universe is Creation, and God is uncreated.

Also, God is not a thing which acts. In God, being and acting are the same. So the Nature of God is not a substance which then acts, but his acting is his substance.
Old 31st December 2009, 05:35 PM

Smile I'll remember...

Whatever comes our way...
... whatever battle we have raging
inside us, we always have a choice.

My friend Harry taught me that.
He choose to be the best of himself.
It's the choices
that make us who we are...
... and we can always choose
to do what's right.

- Peter Parker (Spider-man 3)

A man has to be understanding...
...and put his wife before himself.

- Aunt May (Spider-man 3)
Old 31st December 2009, 08:53 PM
TheGiftOfLife

I plan on seeing it.

I hear what Ron is saying about creation, but this movie does not go out of its way to directly attack Catholicism like 2012.

I don't think the film maker has an anti-God agenda.

I just think they are secular like 80% of the population.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
this movie does not go out of its way to directly attack Catholicism like 2012.

I don't think the movie Avatar directly or in any way attacks Catholicism. It has different, pagan beliefs but does not attack Catholicism.
Old 6th January 2010, 04:27 AM
TheGiftOfLife

My Movie Review of Avatar:

Some backgroud.
I hardly ever go to see movies at the theatre. Its been over 5 years.
I have been a big fan of the director of Avatar, James Camron, as I really enjoyed Terminator and Aliens.

I give this movie a 7 out of 10. Simply for the 3D effects and the acting.

Surprisingly, I was upset from a spiritual point of view. Although the movie does not attack a specific religion, it does deal with the concept of a deity and mixes "US" with other life forms. These life form's God is "mother earth" and some Tree/Root thing. Since it has a human aspect to it, the concept of the one True God is NEVER EVER mentioned. However they use the term G-D DAMN like its going out of style......EXTREMLY PETHETIC since it pushed the one true God aside and focuses and gives validity to some other "FORCE deity"

To address the "its just a movie/fantasy" argument - I see this as an attack on the concept of the one true God. People in the audience, once again, are being fed "other" ideas that clearly remove God from our culture. It focuses on making the "PLANET" God. This is what secularists are trying to do right now with "CLIMATE CHANGE" by making the environment more important than God.

Ron, You were correct about this movie, I'm glad that I am at a point in my life where I'm becoming very sensitive to these things. If they did not touch on ANY deity then I would not have been affected so negatively.

Last edited by TheGiftOfLife : 6th January 2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I haven't see the movie. I probably will see it when it comes out on DVD.
The problems with the movie and religion are a reflection of problems in society.
So the movie is just a symptom, not the cause.